Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant with no. 3 / 4 / 5..?! Thread #2

(395 Posts)
LimeLeafLizard Tue 13-Nov-12 16:46:16

If you're pregnant with your third / fourth / fifth DC, come and chat.

This probably should be in antenatal clubs now (?) but I wanted to post this in the same place as the old thread so we can all find it!

Here is the old thread

Welcome learner. It will all be ok in the end! We all figure out how to make it work, and it's usually so much better than we anticipate it being. We are super mums!

Welcome learner as has been said earlier 2-3 is relatively pain free. Your already used to juggling 2 and 1 more just sort of fits in. My dd was kind of like an accessory as a baby as she just came everywhere with the rest of us!

As if I wasn't already uncomfortable enough my ear has been blocked the last couple of days. I can't seem to unpop it so I feel like everyone is talking to me through water. Practically deaf on that side and it hurts! Anyone had this?

cherrypiew3 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:12:03

Welcome Learnersmile

5kids Hope the bp stays down and you get out of hospital and this time it stays down.

Terilou Sweeps have never worked for me in the past. At least it's not long till Monday.

Had my growth scan today and baby is doing well and she is head down really pleased about that. So now I can start the raspberry leaf tea and tablets anyone idea how much I should take, I like the tea so don't mind drinking that do I start on 1-2 cups a day. How many tablets a day should I take? Also when they tested my urine I had +3 keytones in it she did not explain what this means but said they would send it to the lab, anyone know?

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

cherry have you been sick at all or had trouble eating/drinking? Ketones are what your body makes when you are dehydrated / malnourished. At 3+ ketones I was hospitalised and on a drip at 20 weeks (and this happened twice with dd as well). I still take anti sickness medication in hopes of not ending up in hospital again. Make sure you are drinking and eating as well as poss as I was told 3+ is a medical emergency in a pg woman and quite shocked they just sent you home!

cherrypiew3 Thu 15-Nov-12 22:31:14

Hi Apples

No not been sick and had just eaten breakfast before I went. She sent it to the lab so do you think they will ring if there is something wrong. Have never had ketones in any of my other pg so don't really know much about it wish I had asked her now. She seemed more interested in telling me about inductions.

The thing with ketones is that they can show up in your urine even an hour or two after you've eaten. If you didn't have anything to eat since dinner, you eat breakfast, and then head to the midwife where she does a dipstick, you are going to definitely be spilling ketones because your body is currently in the process of metabolising your breakfast and recovering from your "fast" over night. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some women have really fast metabolisms in pregnancy and will spill ketones unless they are eating like every hour. When there are other things showing up in the urine, including ketones is when I would be worried. Hth.

Sorry didn't want to worry you! Tbf last time I was in hospital after several drips I finally stopped showing ketones around midnight but after a nights sleep they went back up and I was feeling fine when I woke up (if a little frustrated)

hope everything ok bringon is right I was told something similar in hospital x

cherrypiew3 Fri 16-Nov-12 10:19:28

Apples and Bringon thank you I am not to worried in fact I feel really well this morning, this is a sign I am going to pop soon right.grin

Apples How is your ear feeling today?

5kids Hope the blood pressure stayed down during the night.

Cravingtomatoes Fri 16-Nov-12 10:49:17

Good luck terilou - no experience of sweeps but hope all goes well for you on Monday.

Cherry glad you're feeling better this morning

Apples I'm currently using ear drops leading to both ears being syringed next week shock! Hopefully your ear is better but if not worth getting it checked out, especially if there's pain?

Hope everyone else is well?

Starting to feel like I've been pregnant my whole life after 4 pgs in quick succession in exactly 6 years sad. Definitely want my body back now!

terilou87 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:36:12

thanks every one, sweep obv dint work still here but not long now im getting very excited/ nervous cravingtomatoes i felt like that with my first 3 there 5,4 and 3 yo now had a little gap between ds3 and 4 tho but i cant say i felt any better for it.

Ear driving me nuts! It feels like it wants to pop but it just won't! Am gonna try olive oil and ear drops to see if that helps. Then off to dr - a bit wary of dr he didn't even notice I was pg when I went for repeat anti sickness (actually asked if hospital knew what was making me sick I pointed to 6 month bump... Er this!?)

ShellyBobbs Fri 16-Nov-12 17:26:25

5Kids Poor you, I really hope that they can get to the bottom of all this for you, you must be so desperate and your poor children. Lots of ((hugs)) your way x

It already feels like we've had Tommy forever, even though he's only 5 days old grin

Oodthunkit Fri 16-Nov-12 18:49:37

apple sympathies. I get glue ear and its really frustrating!

Just dropped ds1 off at cub camp. He's going to be gone all wekend which will be wierd! He went last year and really enjoyed himself but it's only the 2nd time he's stayed away from home so I know I will worry all weekend!

(which is silly as I have to take ds2 up tomorrow as they are having a party for the beavers so I will actually see him everyday!)

SeymoreInOz Fri 16-Nov-12 21:37:48

5kids glad to hear BP is going down!

welcome learner I will let you know, surprise DC3 here too!

Apple I hope DS has fun at camp!

Cherry I had keytones 3+ in my last pregnancy. The doctor just gave me a grumpy chat about eating and drinking more (even though I had eaten but I did have flu) and that was that! I started on 2 cups of raspberry leaf tea a day, I haven't seen the tablets here.

teri sorry to hear the sweep didn't work. Did it hurt? I'm getting nervous about mine, I need to man up! Not long until your induction now though, exciting!

Craving I know what you mean, I'm looking forward to getting my body back, although I really don't like the first few weeks when you're all pillowy and leaking from various places!

Thanks for all the advice on coping with stress. I had a good cry the other night and that has helped clear the air a bit. I am really nervous about the birth which isn't helping my stress levels. I need to start looking into relaxation techniques (a bit late now!)

For the last 3 days I have had constant braxton hicks and I've started leaking a lot of colostrum (tmi sorry). I can actually feel the tingling let-down when it happens. Has anyone else had anything like this in the last few weeks? I've been convincing myself I must be about to go into labour, but nothing so far!

5kidsnobump Fri 16-Nov-12 21:50:05

Evening everyone.

Finally got let back out of hospital last night. BP just at an ok level when midwife came to check it today - but I had been in bed for about 4 hours before she came hmm . Got up and sorted kids for school this morning but started feeling really crap again - so just went back to bed - which obviously must have done the trick! Problem is DH is meant to be back at work Monday, after 3 weeks off. He is trying to get some more time off, as I reckon if I have to start running round after all the kids bp will be back through the roof, as it is only just ok with piles of pills and me having lots of rest during the day, which is completely impossible with all the kids to look after on my own!

Cravingtomatoes and terilou I also feel like I have been pregnant forever....5 kids in just over 6 years...I think I've forgotten what its like not to be pregnant! terilou how did you find things with 3 so close together - my youngest 3 are all only just over a year apart each - DC3 is 2yrs and 4 months, DC4 is 16 months, and then obviously the baby. Did you manage to get out and about much with 3 so close together? I don't know when I'll attempt toddler groups etc on my own with all 3! By the time DC3 was born my oldest was starting school, so only really had 2 at home together at any one time before!

Apple thats terrible they didn't even notice you were pregnant at the docs - it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence when they seem to have no clue about what is going. Sometimes I wonder if any of them actually bother to read the patient notes hmm

Cravingtomatoes Fri 16-Nov-12 23:43:08

5kids I can't believe the ordeal you're having to go through. Life is hard enough with a newborn and 4 other DCs without the high BP to contend with. Really hope that DH can get more time off so you can rest and get better before he has to go back to work.

Seymore sorry to hear you've been feeling so stressed. Are you worried about the birth as you've had traumatic past experiences? I think relaxation techniques are a good idea even this late in the pg if it'll make you worry less. My labours have all been really quick and straightforward but I am also worried about going through all that pain again (I don't deal well with it at all). I get very envy when I read women comparing labour pain to bad period pains! It sounds like things are moving for you with the BH!

Apple hope you get your ear sorted, as it's annoying when you can't hear properly. mine is wax-related (sorry TMI) and need to have ear drops for 10 days before they'll syringe. It sounds bad but the deafness is drowning out the kids' noise and DH's stressed ranting, so it's sort of nice. Hope Dr was helpful and shock at your Dr not noticing your being pg at 6 months - honestly!

Respect to you terilou and 5kids with DCs so close together in age (mine are 18-22 months apart, so I'm in awe). Do you find they get on really well together as they're similar ages?

Right, heartburn is getting a better so off to bed - goodnight everyone!

Conanchensee Sat 17-Nov-12 15:51:12

Hi, just saying hello again after being absent- I'm due dc3 13/06/13. This pregancy was a surprise so I found this thread when i was in a state of shock- dd is 3 and ds is 14 months so I feel like it's a scarily small age gap! It's been so reassuring to read everyone's stories and positive comments about having 3+ children smile

I'm just feeling human again after 3 weeks in bed- whole famliy had a bad noro virus/stomach bug which combined with morning sickness knocked me sideways. But although I've lost a lot of weight it's not turned into hyperemesis so I should consider myself lucky. Has anyone else had to cope with bad morning sickness and other children? My mum came to visit to help and my husband's had a week holiday from work but I'm back on my own next week and I'm wondering how on earth I'll cope with two lively toddlers!

On a happier note, I'm sure I felt a baby-like flutter yesterday, is this impossible for 10 1/2 weeks, what's the earliest other mums have felt anything?

Oodthunkit Sat 17-Nov-12 16:23:11

I thought I did at 11 weeks with this one. Then again about a week later.

conan am sending unmumsnetty hugs! I suffered horrendous ms with all mine and ended up in hospital at 20 weeks this time I wish I could tell you how I survived the early part of this pg with the other dcs but I really have no idea how I got through it! Dp was doing everything which helped and also the fact that my dcs are all
at school now meant I could put my feet up ( in the mornings anyway dd was only at nursery). I am certain I felt movements with this one from about 11-12 weeks.

5kids glad your out of hospital. Hope you dp can manage to be around for you so you can rest.

Ear still driving me nuts. Can't work out if heartburn or broken ear is worst! Have no money til tues so can't get any ear drops and haven't got any olive oil so just going to have to wait til then. Will make dr appointment too as it really hurts now

sorry to anyone I've missed <waves>

Conan I thought I was crazy because I was feeling this one move at 10.5 weeks too!

terilou87 Sun 18-Nov-12 19:10:13

baby leon arrived at 3.25 this morning weighing 8lb2, so glad i didnt have to be induced grin

Oodthunkit Sun 18-Nov-12 19:38:51

Congrats terilou smile how over were you in the end?

Yay congratualtions terilou! Hope you are enjoying lots of cuddles with baby leon x

LimeLeafLizard Sun 18-Nov-12 21:51:00

Evening everyone. I just got back from a weekend at the PILs and have loads to catch up on.

Congratulations Terilou, that is wonderful news, and welcome to the world baby Leon!

5kids, glad you're out of hospital now, hope BP stays down.

Apples hope you get to the docs soon and some relief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now