Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

pre eclamsia after birth

(34 Posts)
5kidsnobump Sun 11-Nov-12 10:39:00

Has anyone else had this?

Basically had my baby 2 weeks ago today. Was admitted to hospital before he was born with high bp, protein etc. Then Bp went down a bit and they let me out after a couple of days. Fortunately I went into labour naturally the next day and had ds3.

Felt ok immediately after birth but started feeling crap about day 2. Bp was back up at the 5 day check, then spent the next 6 days having Bp checked every day and gp trying a couple of different medications but nothing seemed to keep Bp down.

Eventually started feeling really unwell on thurs - constant splitting headache, couldn't see properly and was struggling to string a sentence together! Finally readmitted to hospital at this point and now looks like Bp under control after 4 days with lots of medication!

Has anyone else experienced this after the birth, and did the bp sort itself out eventually?
!

TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Wed 14-Nov-12 21:21:59

Hope so! I'm pg again hence back on the labetalol but I'm only 7wks so don't think it's pg related tbh. When DD was born I was on 4 labetalol and another drug I can't remember and my bp was still raging lol - mind you I did find it all very stressful what with the mil visits etc!

I'm also taking aspirin daily which is meant to reduce the risk of pre eclampsia in a subsequent pregnancy so fingers Xed

Anyway good luck to you smile

differentnameforthis Wed 14-Nov-12 21:39:22

It can take a while to sort itself out, I heard! I had PE with dd1 being delivered by crash section at 36 weeks. I was monitored constantly once she was born & my bp was slight elevated, but not dangerously so. I was told that it is not uncommon for symptoms to persist for a few days, even tho the "cure" for PE is delivery.

differentnameforthis Wed 14-Nov-12 21:50:15

FloJo151 I went onto have dd2 with no issues at all, so it doesn't always follow that it will happen again. I was very closely monitored with dd2 & both my dr & the consultant said that if I felt I had any issues, just ring or pop in, no need for an appointment & they would drop things instantly.

Thankfully I didn't need to do that, but I did have one occurrence of high bp, about a week before I had dd2. I was driving to the hospital & my car broke down! Once I finally got their my bp was high (but only borderline, literally the second figure was 92 - they worry as soon as it hits 90). They double checked it 10 mins later & it was 89. They let me go but I had to have it checked the next day at the drs, who thought it was too high again (looking back I think it was about 90 - but now know that my dr is a panic merchant!). I was monitored for several hours & all was OK. I gave birth (via section) to a healthy baby a week later. smile

We all think that car episode caused the high bp in the first place & my dr was being over cautious. Of course, I am happy he was.

My friends sister had 4 problem free pregnancies only to get HELLP with her 5th (all have the same father). She collapsed at home & they almost lost her. So it is worth remembering that most of what they say about PE is guess work at best. No one what the causes are, so no one knows how to prevent it. That in my mind = no one can predict when it will/won't strike. I have to be honest & say that this is what is preventing me from having any more.

differentnameforthis Wed 14-Nov-12 21:51:03

Once I finally got there my bp was high

blush

5kidsnobump Thu 15-Nov-12 09:17:50

differentname that is quite a scary story about your friends sister. Strangly enough this is also my 5th baby. Had pe before birth with dc1, nut no problems afterwards. Then 3 pregnancies with no issues, and then loads of issues this time, which was rather unexpected!

Well Bp was good overnight, so waiting to see if they will let me home. I think the midwives think I have moved into the ward permanently!

newby2 Thu 15-Nov-12 14:24:38

5kids-thats great. Told you you've turned a corner! I was almost on the payroll befoe I left!

Hope you've been discharged.

5kidsnobump Thu 15-Nov-12 17:28:24

Well still not made it home as they are still waiting for consultant to review me grrr... Midwife seems confident they will let me out, but has been trying to get a decision since 11am this morning!

newby2 Thu 15-Nov-12 17:47:28

Familiar! You're on the home straight and your bp will settle much better at home. Good luck tomorrow.

5kidsnobump Fri 16-Nov-12 19:48:26

Finally made it home at about 8pm yesterday. Although silly midwife who was doing the night shift was threatening to keep me in as I didn't have the right drugs, as I had 100mg tablets of labetalol and I need 200mg per dose. She didn't seem very happy with the fact that I had just been taking 2 x 100mg to make up the 200mg hmm. Think she could tell by the look on my face that I was not impressed when she mentioned staying in another night...!

BP was just about ok when midwife came round this morning. Although I had spent the 4 hours before she came laying down....DH is meant to be back at work next week, but he is trying to get more time off, as I am panicing that BP will go back up if I start having to run round after all the kids on my own. Did start to feel not quite so good after I had got kids up this morning and got them all sorted for school, hence the laying down afterwards as I was paranoid midwife would send me back to hospital if she came round and it was high again confused . She is coming back tomorrow to weigh Harry and check BP again - so fingers crossed it stays ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now