Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Does anyone believe that pregnancies differ depending on the sex of the baby or is it a myth?

(31 Posts)
Katydive Sat 10-Nov-12 08:41:56

Hi,

I am 7 weeks pregnant with my 3rd. I have two DS's. I have had two good pregnancies with both and never suffered any morning sickness with either of them. I never had any mad 'cravings' but became partial to Ginger Beer and went off coffee (nothing unusual) I had small ish football style bumps with both (although my second got a lot bigger very early on).
So far I have no sickness again and apart from the tiredness, feel as I normally would. I have noticed how my tummy has swollen dramatically in the last couple of weeks and hasn't yet gone down!
I'm wondering if anyone who has had both boys and girls had had very different pregnacies and whether anyone has experienced a similar pregnancy and had a different sex.
I know people come out with all sorts, it's the size of the bump, if you get sick and weren't before etc etc. Wondering whether most is an old wives tale or not!

LedaOfSparta Sat 10-Nov-12 08:44:30

I have 2 boys then a girl; all my pregnancies were pretty much the same. I had a neat bump and some nausea with all 3 and was v surprised that number 3 turned out to be a girl.

LowLevelWhinging Sat 10-Nov-12 08:45:35

myth.

pictish Sat 10-Nov-12 08:46:15

myth

I have three dc's first two girls. Was incredibly sick throughout both girl pregnancies, not at all when pg with ds. Everything else was the same, although I was enormous when pg with ds too, and he was my smallest baby. Think that might have been because it was my third pregnancy in four years though, and my tummy had just given up!

theynevershutup Sat 10-Nov-12 08:47:32

I have a DS and DD, both pregnancies identical and carried the same for both.

I had very different pregnancies with the DSs than with DD, but she was the third so it's possible it was just a coincidence. With the DSs I bled a lot - in and out of hospital for scans. With DD there was no bleeding at all, but I was very sick throughout the whole pregnancy - not hyperemesis, but getting there.

So, probably myth but I'm an example of the opposite grin

tiredteddy Sat 10-Nov-12 08:52:16

I have two DS. With both it was all bump like a football. No sickness and eating lots of sweet stuff. Now expecting dc3 been so sick, can't tolerate any sweet food at all. A very different shape to bump much more all round more weight on my hips I think. At 20 week scan they said its a girl. I will believe it when I see it!

Katydive Sat 10-Nov-12 09:11:17

Leda & TiredTeddy - Ooh I hope mine goes the same way, it'll be a real shock if they tell me it's a girl!

FloweryBoots Sat 10-Nov-12 09:12:40

I have one DS - sailed through pregnancy with very little to complain about. Morning sickness not too bad, quite managable with eating regularly adn carrying snacks, only actually vomited once or twice, cleared up about 16 weeks. Am now 23+3 with a girl. Morning sickness has been absolutly shocking. Constant nausea, totally un controlable with nothing helping and still here at 23 weeks. The extreem tiredness which wore of at least to a fair extent after the first few weeks with DS is also still here this time. I could (and have blush) fall asleep at my desk after lunch, nap at weekends, and still fall asleep in the evening by 8.30pm. Bump bigger earlier this time but to be expected with a second, still seems all out front like with DS.

Could be nothing to do with the sex of course, might just be different pregnancies are just different. And I am very unhappy at work this time which doesn't help I'm sure.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Sat 10-Nov-12 09:15:30

My own experience would say MYTH. 32 weeks with DS2, completely different pg to DS1, carrying differently, affected me medically differently, made me act differently.. Just different!

lighthousekeeping Sat 10-Nov-12 09:16:49

my friend had three prem girls and then a ten pound term boy, she said she felt that it would be a boy all the way through as it was such a different experience. Although she preferred pushing the girls out grin

I have two of each. I had severe nausea and vomiting with the girls, and mild nausea with the boys. I'm expecting number 5, and again only have mild symptoms, so my money is on another boy!

Katydive Sat 10-Nov-12 09:17:57

Flowery - oh I'm sorry to hear you are having a time of it, sounds awful sad

We are told that every pregnancy is different but as I am experiencing the same with all three (so far) I am wondering what it is about the pregnancies that leads to such extremely different reactions within the same person? I can't help wondering if it is circumstances like you say regarding how relaxed/stressed/happy the mother is, I can't imagine it would be the baby at such an early stage, I find it fascinating!

TerrorNotSoFrightened Sat 10-Nov-12 09:22:25

I have one of each, I had exactly the same awful pregnancies, just awful.
Labour and birth were brilliant with both of them though, so I wonder if there is any truth to the tale of 'hard pregnancy, easy labour'?

Popumpkin Sat 10-Nov-12 09:25:23

Mine were different. Two DSs, no sickness & felt pretty much OK throughout the pregnancies. DD, sickness all day every day from roughly 7 days after conception to throwing up on my way to the delivery suite! Needless to say, I felt pretty crappy all the way through & even ended up losing 3 stone during the pregnancy due to the constant sickness.

My best friend is the complete opposite - she has three DDs, each one with a trouble free, non-sicky pregnancy and then was sick every day carrying her DS.

I have no medical, logical explanation for it but it really does seem to be the case for some people smile.

JakeBullet Sat 10-Nov-12 09:36:36

There is a small amount of research to say that if you are expecting a girl then the likelihood of severe morning sickness is more likely. But it is small samples so not significant enough to say definitely,

TwitchyTail Sat 10-Nov-12 09:42:33

Big old myth.

Everyone insisted I was having a girl because of terrible morning sickness and a nice tidy bump. Scan showed a jolly little boy.

Myth.
Three DDs, first two pregnancies easy, same shape bump. Third pregnancy much more uncomfortable, more health problems, different shape bump. Everyone said oh that's a boy this time! Wrong grin

Very little sickness with any of them though.

COCKadoodledooo Sat 10-Nov-12 10:24:14

Myth - my pregnancy with ds1 couldn't have been more different than my pregnancy with ds2 (and I had been convinced until my 20 week scan that ds2 was a girl, at least partly due to this).

maillotjaune Sat 10-Nov-12 10:27:03

I have 3 boys. All pregnancies different in terms of sickness, shape and size if bump, blood pressure, size if ankles, sleep disturbance, cravings and tiredness.

Everyone who had an opinion on these things (at work, in shops etc) was convinced DS3 would be a girl. Myth.

My pregnancy this time (DD) is the opposite to that of DS.

potatolady Sat 10-Nov-12 12:29:03

Myth. I've had two boys and two girls and couldn't see any pattern. I'm 31 wks pregnant and have no idea whether this is a boy or a girl.

PeshwariNaan Sat 10-Nov-12 14:35:04

Personally, I think girls = worse morning sickness, but I don't have any personal experience of this as I'm only pregnant for the first time! (with a girl - was terribly ill)

Oodthunkit Sat 10-Nov-12 14:39:01

3 completely different pregnancies, 3 girls!
Current pg similar to dd3 but no idea what I'm having.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now