Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to Expect when you're Expecting?

(29 Posts)
weeblueberry Fri 19-Oct-12 11:24:22

I always assumed this is the book I would buy but, having looked at the first chapter on Amazon is it very Americanised? Ideally I'd like something that gives information on how the British health care service works too since I think they do it slightly differently in the states?

Thanks!

n0ne Sun 18-Nov-12 13:11:44

I've got the 4th edition WTE... published 2009 from Amazon (UK site) and it's def been Anglicised - you can tell. I'm finding it very useful and not judgemental or patronising at all.

Quodlibet Sun 18-Nov-12 19:08:20

I find the tone of 'What to expect' really annoying - it's written in a really magazine style so uses loads of cringey cliches (worst example: bullet point list for men of how to adapt your sex life - every single point had a driving metaphor in it eg 'put her in the driving seat'. Do they think men need car analogies to help them understand sex?)

The information is pretty decent but I just keep thinking 'Christ if they cut out all the cutesy faff ('this week your baby's heart starts beating - and soon it'll have your heart all a flutter!') then it would be half the weight and wouldn't make my arms hurt when I am reading it in bed.

Splinters Sun 18-Nov-12 19:12:29

Yes to Sheila Kitzinger! I really recommend going to the library first and trying out a couple of preg books before you buy anything -- I've had several that looked good to start with but really hacked me off after a week or so, so I was delighted just to be able to take them back. SK in fact the only one that hasn't gone back in disgrace.

TwitchyTail Sun 18-Nov-12 23:40:22

There is definitely a UK version that is up to date with current practice (and infinitely better than the US version).

See if your local library has it - if you go on their website, their will often be at least one copy per district, so you can order it to your local library for free. That's what I did. It was an interesting read and had lots of useful information but I'm not sure I'd have spent money on it, as you can get most information online now. I agree it has a slightly negative/overly-cautious tone (I completely ignored the diet chapter - who can fit in that many portions of protein a day, and more to the point, who cares??)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now