Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The BEST things about being pregnant!

(103 Posts)

Ladies, lets have a positive post to share some of the good things about being pregnant at different stages (we know there are lots of niggles, pains and grim things to contend with). grin

I'm 13+2 and just hitting a better (but, not perfect) phase.

My best things so far are:

- keeping a very exciting secret (until next week!)
- glossy hair
- hubby doing more stuff around the house
- buying maternity clothes and getting eBay bargains
- the excuse to plan house-projects
- a new focus for exercise
- excitement about starting a family with DH and being 'we three'

...and seeing our baby waving (with finger bones!) at the scan this week!

What about you?

Trousersrolled Fri 19-Oct-12 03:56:41

The end result. And the cleavage. Too bad the cleavage doesn't last...

RockabillyKitty Fri 19-Oct-12 07:08:30

Aww I was going to start a thread like this as, at the beginning I sulked about all the things I couldn't do, then around 20-something weeks started to realise it was a privilege and really began to enjoy all the good things, like:
Not having to suck the belly in, in fact - pushing it out to look more PG!
Wearing tight dresses - never been confident before
Hair - not exactly lustrous 'cause I bleach the sh*t out of it, but lasting between washes for days
Getting people to do stuff for me - lift, carry and fetch
The attention generally - I found I wanted to talk about being PG more and more so I appreciate being a talking point!
Maternity clothes - although I stressed at first about wearing "lame" stuff, I actually enjoyed buying it and felt like I'd turned a corner when I bought the first lot (around 16 wks)
And as I got to around the 30 week mark - excuses not to do things & not feeling guilty!
I can't believe I'm about to say it but, all this combined with the kicks - I'll miss being PG!!!!

reastie Fri 19-Oct-12 09:58:22

The only good thing about my pregnancy was that I got DD from it!

ICBINEG Fri 19-Oct-12 10:14:51

I enjoyed looking forward to being a mum and having a baby. Sadly the reality was nowhere near as good as I had hoped. Other than that the best thing about pregnancy is when it stops.

rrreow Fri 19-Oct-12 10:36:09

Am only about 6w at the moment but getting very excited!

Not having to scoop or clean the cat litter!
Good skin
Not having cold feet (still waiting for this to kick in... was great with DC1 though as I'm usually always cold)
Having boobs that can actually properly fill out a top

terilou87 Fri 19-Oct-12 10:36:16

#1 no periods [grin}
#2 comfortable clothes
#3 excuse to eat what ever when ever
#4 excuse to go shopping
loving more than i thought to be honest wink

Zara1984 Fri 19-Oct-12 10:48:02

I mostly loved being pregnant until this past week when I've developed high BP & had bleeding!!! Good points:
- when shit/scary stuff happens and you need to bawl your eyes out, everyone has sympathy and gives you hugs, and gives you cake and brew
- maternity leave!!
- eating anything you like
- getting to buy cute baby clothes
- spending hours imaging what baby looks like and what amazing things PFB will do when he grows up (Nobel Prize, Olympic athlete?) grin

weeblueberry Fri 19-Oct-12 11:07:29

- Not having to do the litter trays or clean out the tortoise.
- Not feeling like I have to suck in my tummy (even though I'm only 11 weeks lol)
- My absolutely lovely and perfect DP who's been nothing but understanding when he spends ages cooking a meal and I look at it as though something vomited on my plate (even though its pretty much always something nice!!)
- No periods for 9 months!
- When my friends invite me out I have a genuine excuse for saying no and staying home to watch True Blood in my PJs!
- Being more emotional. I know this one sounds weird but I was never a teary person, ever. But for some reason now all it takes is a sad song and I start bawling my eyes out. I think this is probably much healthier.
- Being able to come off Weight Watchers!!

MamaMary Fri 19-Oct-12 12:07:04

Wearing elasticated waists every day

Feeling the kicks - second time round and no you never get tired of them!

Great libido and sex with DH - why do hormones go mad??!!

beela Fri 19-Oct-12 12:17:35

Not having to suck in tummy in fact possibly trying to stick it out a bit until bump got big enough to notice

Lovely comfortably maternity trousers.

Feeling special the whole time...

Ooh, all of it. I loved being pregnant. I love being a mother even more though grin

fishcalledwonder Fri 19-Oct-12 12:31:54

Once the puking stopped i loved:

Wearing all the clingy dresses I normally avoid.
Speculating with DH about who baby will look like.
Buying baby clothes and decorating the nursery.
Feeling the baby hiccup.
Seeing how excited my parents were.
Endlessly repacking the hospital bag (which never actually got opened in the hospital!)

Dualta Fri 19-Oct-12 12:33:28

The sense of happy anticipation is wonderful (20 week scan and finding out gender later today!!)

Getting another Squishy Boo Bean baby! Sorry, that's my name for DS2, 12WO. blush

3rdtimelucky73 Fri 19-Oct-12 14:30:23

DP's endless efforts to find me something I can stomach to eat.

Been cared for more than normal.

Looking forward to having a bump to dress and show off!

HaveALittleFaith Fri 19-Oct-12 14:43:57

Now that I'm 13 weeks - going public! How everyone seems so excited for us! Showing people the pictures. Telling random people just because you can. Getting mushy at teeny tiny clothes in the shops! Now that my MS has nearly passed, people telling me I look well and blooming! smile

WongaDotMom Fri 19-Oct-12 14:50:36

free prescriptions and dental treatment
not having to carry heavy stuff (apart from oneself) smile

soontobemumofthree Fri 19-Oct-12 15:01:15

- people (sometimes complete strangers) wishing you and baby the best of luck and unprovoked kindness
- feeling the movements
- looking forward to the baby!
- elasticated trousers (ok so I'm prob on my own on this, but I really love my stretchy high waisted trousers)

soontobemumofthree Fri 19-Oct-12 15:04:07

I'm not on my own! just read a few of posts above and found some fellow stretchy trouser fans!

Zara1984 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:07:24

YY to elasticated pants....

3rdtimelucky73 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:08:51

I'm off to get some sweat pants/maternity pants today - I just don't have anything to be comfy in the evenings. My gym kit is tight and intended for getting hot and sweaty in!

*pants in the northern sense (not that I am!)

EarnestDullard Fri 19-Oct-12 17:51:40

Baby hiccups.
Having a bump rather than a pot belly/muffin top.
Looking at all the lovely tiny baby clothes in the shops.
Having complete strangers talk to me, wish me luck and be generally lovely (particularly in the last couple of weeks of pregnancy when I was frighteningly massive).
And... getting a squishy newborn at the end of it!

Limpit80 Fri 19-Oct-12 18:15:36

How kind lots of people have been, whether its asking how I am, giving up their seat, carrying something for me or giving presents to the baby, people have been lovely and it means a lot as my familiy are miles away.

Our family's reaction when we told them.

Being warm all the time!

Buying baby stuff.

Feeling like a superwoman - Im growing a LIFE!

breathedeeply Fri 19-Oct-12 18:34:27

Being part of a community of pregnant women. Meeting complete strangers at the ante-natal clinic, with whom I had very little in common, but somehow being pregnant transcended everything. We followed each other's pregnancies in minute detail and carried on meeting up after the birth.
Then there were the tv programmes (mostly on Discovery Health) that followed women through their pregnancies. I found them endlessly fascinating. Another programme followed women undergoing IVF, and I found myself sobbing with joy whenever one of them achieved a longed for delivery of a newborn (I never normally cry at tv programmes).

Havingnomorekids Fri 19-Oct-12 19:46:17

Lovely thread, brings back all the good memories smile

My hair was fab! It was a new experience having such luscious locks that were no longer greasy. Also my skin was lovely.
Being able to sleep. Little naps here and there.
Shopping for baby stuff and planning and doing his room up for him
Seeing him grow scan by scan (I had GD so had lots of scans from 26 weeks+ which was very comforting)
Showing off the huge belly and finding tops that showed it off
Hubby waiting on me, bringing me bacon butties, a brew and a newspaper/magazine.

JazzyTheSnowman Fri 19-Oct-12 22:06:00

My hair looking gorgeous
The tits
Barely any morning sickness
The tits
Having people look at me like I'm Mother Earth and they are blessed to be in my presence
The tits
The look on my mothers face when, after 6 generations of the women in my family going girl-girl-boy, we found out I was having a boy on the first try
The tits
The sex
The tits
Having anyone and everyone go "Oh no no no, you sit down, we'll do <completely boring task I had no intention of doing anyway>!"
The tits

Oh, and the look on the poor blokes face.
This bloke decided to rather crudely check out my rear end, and when I turned around to tell him off he clocked the bump. Cue bright red face, stammering and all sorts. I told him it was fine and I was flattered, and went to leave, to which he then muttered to his mates "know what though? I still would..."

Still makes me chuckle to this day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now