Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Side effects from whooping cough jab?

(70 Posts)
Leighgirl2012 Fri 12-Oct-12 08:31:06

Hi Ladies,

I wondered if anyone has had the whooping cough jab while pregnant and if they would be willing to share any experience of side effects or lack of? I reacted badly to vaccines as a child so this is a big concern for me...

Thanks in advance!
x

PigletJohn Wed 17-Oct-12 18:14:17

I still haven't grasped the decision process

option 1: Catch WC, suffer severe and d istressing illness, possibly broken ribs from uncontrollable cough, occasional death

option 2: try not to catch WC, get a sore arm... and what else?

There must be more to option 2, but what is it?

debbie1412 Wed 17-Oct-12 18:59:26

No side effects it isn't a live vaccine, yes very sore arm 36 hours later. It's also totally worth it at 38 weeks as it takes 3 days to start going through placenta not 2 weeks. I also had flu jab big mistake 2 very sore arms. Couldn't sleep last night x

MaMaPo Wed 17-Oct-12 19:09:36

I've had both the flu jab and the pertussis jab - neither hurt much going in, and the only side-effects are a slightly aching upper arm which resolved within 48 hours and was much less uncomfortable than my baby's foot stuck in my ribs.

I've never had flu or WC (good immunity + good luck?) so I'm very happy to be part of the 'herd' of 'herd immunity'.

Unfortunately, nobody was giving out 'Hug Me, I'm Vaccinated!' stickers at the GP, though.

osterleymama Wed 17-Oct-12 20:08:02

Had both flu and whooping cough today and it was fine. Slightly achy in flu arm, nothing in whooping cough arm. Feel tired but at 35 weeks that's not unusual..

Artura Wed 17-Oct-12 20:57:24

I'll attempt to answer your questions, leighgirl and makingitup, but please bear in mind that I am no immunisation expert!

Herd immunity means that if enough people in the community are vaccinated, it is harder for a disease to pass between those who are not. This is especially important to protect people who are unable to have vaccinations for particular reasons or if they have problems with their immune system. How effective a vaccination is for an individual can depend on tons of different factors - how well their immune system is working, the time since initial vaccination/boosters, their age etc. This link explains it better than I can www.nhs.uk/Planners/vaccinations/Pages/sciencevaccinations.aspx

The reason that the WC vaccination programme has recommended that pregnant women have the jab between 28 and 38 weeks is to give the mum's immune system a chance to produce protective antibodies against WC that will start to cross the placenta from 34 weeks (giving protection to babies even if born early). There are also antibodies in breast milk. These 2 types of immunity passed from mum to baby (via placenta and milk) are more effective than giving the newborn baby a jab as soon as they are born. However, it's not a long term protective immunity so the baby will still benefit from getting their usual jabs later. And if the mum has less chance of catching WC themselves, there is less chance of them passing it on to their baby or other young children.

Does that make sense and answer your questions?

Msbluesky32 Thu 18-Oct-12 11:48:49

My friend felt quite unwell from her whooping cough jab, mostly exhausted. Im not far along enough to have one yet, but Im definitely going to have it.
I had the flu jab on saturday(my first ever) and started getting flu symptoms on Sunday. By Monday I was really ill. Doctore said it was probably flu from the jab. Has anyone else contracted flu from a jab? I didn't think it was possible!

Tugstonia Thu 18-Oct-12 12:55:16

Msbluesky32 my DP had flu jab last year and a week later had the worst flu he's ever experienced, it was hideous. Doc said probably caused by flu jab angry

Leighgirl2012 Thu 18-Oct-12 13:48:31

I've heard that the reason you can get flu from the flu jab is because formadehyde is used to inactivate the virus, and that it does a bit of a patchy job of it! I'd like to emphasise though, that this was heard on the grapevine so could well be nonsense! xx hope you're feeling better soon!

charlottehere Thu 18-Oct-12 14:29:40

I had it along with the flu jab on monday, the actual jab didn't hurt at all but I have a really sore arm on WC side and it is re and swollen, going to gp tommorrow if not better - really hurts. sad

Wuxiapian Wed 24-Oct-12 14:28:49

Had both WC and Flu jab yesterday.

All day today, I've had bad stomach cramps and backache.

DyeInTheEar Fri 26-Oct-12 13:50:13

You feeling better yet charlotte & Wuxiapian ?

Leighgirl2012 Mon 29-Oct-12 18:38:53

Wuxiapian - are you ok? I hope you're feeling better xxx

Wuxiapian Wed 31-Oct-12 18:37:25

Hi, Dye and Leigh.

Am I doing ok? Not really sad

Leighgirl2012 Mon 05-Nov-12 07:48:41

Oh no sad I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems xx I've got everything crossed for you! Hope baby stays put a little longer for you xx

loveschocolate Mon 05-Nov-12 08:04:22

Within 24hrs this weekend I saw (in one case heard in public toilets) two children with whooping cough. Both were gasping for breath between coughing and ended up vomiting. Their parents had taken them to busy shopping areas where there were also quite a few very young babies. I was surprised to encounter it so readily.

LeBFG Mon 05-Nov-12 08:08:22

I remember something about WC immunity is not passed through the breast milk. So the only way a newborn can get any immunity is through the placenta i.e. by vaccinating the pg mum. Newborns can't be vaccinated and thus depend on herd immunity to avoid catching WC unless they have the antibodies through the mother. People who are a bit uneasy directly vaccinating their very young babies should console themselves a bit - getting antibodies through the placenta is a very natural way for babies to acquire immunity.

ItsMyLastOne Mon 05-Nov-12 13:33:57

I very nearly fainted when I had my WC and flu jabs at 35+3. Apart from that, just very slightly sore arms, a little bruise on one arm (can't remember which jab I had in that arm) and I felt more tired than usual.

Oliviavaux Wed 26-Mar-14 16:27:18

Wanted to know if anyone else had the same horrific side effects I had, diarrhea, nausea, acheing flu like symptoms which left me doubled over in pain and extremely weak. I thought I was going into labour at first until I found on the side effects page on the vaccine itself.

katiejane14 Wed 14-May-14 22:19:55

My ninth child is 6 months of age and has had continual coughing since she was 8 weeks old. She has fits of coughing mainly at night. She's the only one that has had this problem. She is the only one for whom I received the whooping cough vaccine. It may well be a coincidence but I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

NatalieBetty01 Mon 04-Aug-14 09:54:12

Well we must remember that vaccines don't prevent you catching the illness 100%.
The vaccines job is to build antibodies against the particular disease or illness to help us fight off the disease or illness. If you come into contact with someone who has it or carrying it, you will catch it but you don't come down with it fully if you have been vaccinated it helps to fight it off quicker/ you don't get it as bad as someone who hasn't been vaccinated.

The reason why pregnant women now have to be vaccinated unlike before is because more parents are refusing their children to get vaccinated hence the increase in the past 2 years.
My daughter was born December 2011 just before the epidemic she was lucky coz we wernt vaccinated in 2011, she did catch a cold after we got out of hospital but that was all, she has had every single vaccine needed now her next ones is next year when she is 3 years and 4 months.

I am now expecting I'm quite early on though (10 weeks)
Been looking into the whooping cough so I can make my mind up for when I am roughly 34 weeks...

My sister in law had the flu jab and whooping cough vaccine she went overdue and gave birth to a lovely 8lb 4oz baby girl healthy no problems, advanced development for her age! She said she felt grotty afterwards but she thinks that's coz she had the flu jab at the same time as the whooping cough jab.

To be honest would you want to risk your baby dying with whooping cough within the first 8 weeks of life due to the epidemic created by mums who refused to vaccine their children? I sure as hell wouldn't...
I was born in 1980's when people doubted the MMR vaccine people thought it linked to autism ... That was false coz I've had it and I haven't got Autism ... These are usually tested and the government can't risk giving out unsafe vaccines to people too much publicity and people would sue ... So be safe and have the vaccine xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now