Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fantastic 40+ Mum to be - part 2

(1000 Posts)
Hpbp Mon 08-Oct-12 07:42:26

Let's keep on chatting !
Awaiting to hear from you all.
Midget, how are you feeling after the sweep ?
Exexe, are you happy with the new kitchen ? Very glad to see you back on here.
Warm welcome to the only Dad we have on the thread, sorry I could not remember your name as I write this.
Have a lovely Monday. Pouring rain in Paris today.

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 19:48:04

Thank you MrsW

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 19:50:36

X-post midget it all sounds promising, so best pack your bag. I do hope your have a lovely birth experience this time. You deserve it smile

eagleray Tue 09-Oct-12 21:41:44

Hello everyone

How exciting Midget - sending you lots of love, luck and big hugs, and please go pack your bag! I really hope the birth goes well - we will all be here cheering you on.

More Ebay wins today - am now proud owner of a lovely rocking chair and some totally impractical baby dresses, and some lovely teeny Scandinavian baby shoes. I have so many babygros now it looks like I am preparing to give birth to a litter, not a single baby. Slightly embarrassed about that one... blush

littleredmonkey Tue 09-Oct-12 22:32:06

Howdo, Mr LRM again, just thought I would find the new thread so LRM could carry on when she gets back. They are both doing well in hospital. LRM is making a fantastic recovery from her c-section, I always knew she was a tough old gal but even this has suprised me. Impressive battle scar to show off.
Dylan is healthy and just started gaining weight. Never thought I would get excited about poo and weight gain but its the hot topic at the moment. Hopefully they should be back home in the next day or two so I best put the vacuum and duster round. Good luck to Midget, LRM will send her regards and hope everything goes to plan. If you dont hear nack from me again, good luck and enjoy your babies, I most certainly am.

eagleray Tue 09-Oct-12 22:39:02

ooh - a LRM update! So glad things are going well, and that Dylan is getting bigger and scar is healing. LRM is made of tough stuff - best get going with that hoover as recall she was a bit of a live wire with the housework when she went on mat leave!

FjordMor Tue 09-Oct-12 23:19:40

Crumbs! I've found you all - and just in time (or not?) to say Midget - good luck - thinking of you! Wishing fab birth vibes on you and sending lots of love! I can't say much more right now or catch up as we're in the throes of colic confused. But I'll try to read with one hand on my phone whenever feeding allows... Love to everyone xx

Midgetm Wed 10-Oct-12 04:40:34

Waves at Fjord can't sleep. Contractions less regular so maybe a false start. Not giving up hope though. Bag packed thanks to your gentle nagging coaching. Don't finish work till end of the week and having my hair cut tomorrow, bad timing! Feel very excited and a little sick. Still in denial, whilst cleaning everything within an inch of it's life. Just had a sneaky codrydomol so hope I can get some sleep. Night/morning all. Special squishes to baby Dylan and Fjordbubba.

knickyknocks Wed 10-Oct-12 09:53:33

midget glad to hear the bag is packed. Hmmm...cleaning everything in sight? That's nesting for sure. Come on baby midget, a nice quick delivery with no interventions please for Saturday morning!

lrm thank you so much for the update. Lovely to hear you're all doing well. Aah, this is just the start of many poo conversations over the next few months grin.

somewhere how's your sickness? My SPD is still twinging away, but hoping the physio referral will come through soon. So glad to hear that it was only said in jest about stopping MNetting. My DH just says 'mumsnet again?' when he sees me with my blackberry. Don't think he minds though, he's quite happy to sit there and watch some britcops or frontline police doc on the telly (seems like a bit like a busmans holiday to me, but keeps him happy).

I'm starting to fill out. I have a definite bump now, which means new clothes HAVE to be bought. Quite frankly my pre-pregnancy work clothes are starting to look a bit ridiculous (and a bit obscene0, and I haven't quite got to the stage on not caring and letting my tummy poke out from under my shorter tops. Feel a little aggrieved that I have to spend out on maternity clothes that will only be used for a short time, but hey ho. That reminds me, I'll have to get a different winter coat. I'll be at my biggest between Jan and early March. A trip to primark and one oversized coat for me then. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Exexe Wed 10-Oct-12 10:11:19

Thanks for the update MrLRM. Great to hear baby Dylan is doing well.

Midget its all very exciting! Fingers crossed for you.

Eagleray good shopping. You should be fine with all the babygros. I used to have to change mine as babies about 5 times a day sometimes. They keep pooing and puking and getting clothes dirty.

So, my baby is due in 1 week! I ordered a car seat, moses basket and bedding yesterday! It should arrive today. How's that for last minute shopping? smile

Have a good day everyone.

somewherebecomingrain Wed 10-Oct-12 10:32:23

MrMonkey great update! i guess you won't know i said this. it's so sweet that he is on here. i will tell my DP though.

midget yes am personally relieved that you've packed your bag. Very strange time you're going through which i've never experienced as i never went into labour at all, whatsoever. others are better placed to advise. But good luck and hope it comes soon.

i had no pain during my birth and i've just been reading caitlin moran on how the pain gives you perspective and making you a better, stronger person and wondering if i missed out....

knicky primark is a great idea... i hadn't thought of that. just spent 40 quid on a hennes coat, my boobs are so massive i had to get an extra large and it is like wearing a tank - i look square. Luckily i do have a more flattering, non-maternity, v expensive coat that works even in extreme PG and that's for when i want to look vaguely presentable. The idea with this cheapo hennes one is that its for sitting on damp logs in the park and picking DS out of the mud. But i could have done it even cheaper at primark! do they have an official maternity section?

if you're only starting to fill out now, you're doing well hon! i have been in maternity jeans since week 9. partly i'm fat, yes. partly i have narrow hips so the bump's got nowwhere to go (i tell myself!).

xx

ValiumQueen Wed 10-Oct-12 10:56:36

somewhere no pain at all? Do please explain.

MrMonkey thank you for the update. Recovering from a section is a very strange thing. It is a major op, but a new baby is a reward you do not get with appendicitis or the like. The danger is if her pain is well controlled that she will be tempted to overdo it. She will want to push the pram etc, but really must be encouraged to rest and allow healing. When my pain was controlled I felt I could climb a mountain, but if it gets out of hand or you overdo it, flip it hurts!

Waves to other mummies x and mummies to be x

somewherebecomingrain Wed 10-Oct-12 11:28:29

Hi VQ I never went into labour. 12 days after my due date, booked in to hosp, pessary - nothing. Another pessary - more nothing. sintocinon... eventually a bit of something resembling contractions. but consultant insisted on an immediate epidural as sintocinon creates such sudden and brutal contractions. there was a 20 minute period when i was thinking 'hey, this is really unpleasant, this is actually over the top and above and beyond, seriously no likey ow shit' then got my epidural and happy days, pain-wise, from then on. only carried on trying for a VB for about another two hours cause DS's heart showed distress and i was only dilated by 1cm at my most dilated. Which technically isn't even labour - labour is cervical dilation, not contractions.
Was wheeled across the corridor for an EMCS which although pretty radical and shocking, went very smoothly.

thanks for the opportunity to share my birth story!

agree about taking it slow with LRM. I took ages to get over mine - most people bounce back quicker, but even so. I must admit VQ i never felt i could climb a mountain! i always felt like a complete invalid!

ValiumQueen Wed 10-Oct-12 11:37:08

So you did have 20 mins of significant pain then. The pain from the drip is serious shit as I had it! I also had an epidural as the pain was unbearable and no gaps inbetween to breathe. Your consultant sounds very sensible. FWIW I think you had enough pain and you did not miss out on being a 'better person'. I think if our labours had started naturally, we may well have coped fine with the build up. Our pain was not a natural pain <<shudders at memory>>

ValiumQueen Wed 10-Oct-12 11:40:29

About my recovery, I had severe SPD so getting the 10lb 3 baby out helped a lot and I felt fab! I also had an Elective, which makes a world of difference psychologically. An EMCS is very different as it was not what you wanted, or thought would happen. Mine was exactly what I wanted, and I knew when and where it would happen. I am quite looking forward to my next one in 15 sleeps!!

ValiumQueen Wed 10-Oct-12 11:41:20

I regularly climb mountains too. I think I was a goat in a previously life.

knickyknocks Wed 10-Oct-12 12:24:27

grin at VQ re goat in previous life! That severe SPD must have been hell though, the twinges I'm getting now aren't pleasant and I could do without it deteriorating. Yes, I think it must be nice to know that either way, you have a definite date for baby's arrival. My labour with DD was quick - in fact so quick no time for any help with pain relief, apart from a few toots on the gas and air - this time, I'm worried I'll be faster, and have a premonition about giving birth in the hospital car park. Oh please please don't let that be me....Gosh only 15 sleeps for you? It's starting to come round fast!

somewhere god no me just showing now? Not in the slightest. Have been in mat jeans since week 9. It's just that now there is no denying it, I'm pregnant and no longer fit any of my pre-pregnancy clothes - well not without my tummy starting to poke out from the bottom of the jumpers - attractive grin.
No, I don't think there is a maternity section in primark. My plan was to go there and just get a cheap oversized coat. I did splash out on a few bits from new look maternity though, which has some good basics whilst watching the pennies.
Your labour story sounds frustrating and a long journey - 12 days overdue? You must have been just begging just to get on with it. I really hope it's a different story for your new little one.

somewherebecomingrain Wed 10-Oct-12 12:47:36

oh i see knicky gotcha - it's a proper PG belly, no more pretending you've just got a pot belly. is there anything you can do for SPD? does swimming help?

that's great re your labour - sounds like you have the opposite problem to me!

VQ that's reassuring - i will prob have an ELCS.

it was frustrating - i could reminisce in depth about that - we tried curries, pineapple, walking around shopping cities, ess ee ex. one night i got twinges and then my DP announced he'd invited some friends round and whoosh the twinges disappeared, never to reappear.

i have narrow hips and the consultant did say this could have been part of it. gonna talk to my new consultant in a couple of weeks.

anyway VQ you're up next, is it another ELCS? how are you feeling? are you comfortable?

xxx

knottyhair Wed 10-Oct-12 12:52:59

Hi all! Just checking in to say hope things happen soon for you Midget, and lovely to get an update from Mr LRM.
Have been taking Spatone for a few days now and I think I already feel better, unless it's psychosomatic! Had my WC vaccination on Tuesday, bit of a sore arm but otherwise OK. Got MW appt in an hour, will check back in later for any news...

somewherebecomingrain Wed 10-Oct-12 13:56:26

ps eagleray well done on your ebay wins! i have just not got the focus! i missed a really nice isabella oliver top that went for only £10 and only one person bid for it!

knotty i started on the spatone then freaked myself out as had a particularly sick and headachey couple of days. i'm not officially anaemic and am going to wait until i am told i am before i take it. glad you feel better.

xxx

knottyhair Wed 10-Oct-12 15:03:33

Somewhere, the MW has just turned her nose up at Spatone and told me the dose is nowhere near high enough hmm. She's given me a prescription for iron tablets as well and suggests I take them on alternate days, so I'll give that a go as well. They're going to retest my iron levels in 3 weeks. Otherwise, all fine, bump measuring bang on and good strong heartbeat smile. Hope everyone is having a nice day, and things are progressing for Midget.

bytheseaside Wed 10-Oct-12 15:05:46

Have been in teeny baby unit for a couple of weeks, now brought baby seaside home! She's so deliciously lovely - feeding very well (hence being allowed to escape) and its amazing to be out of hospital. I feel pretty much back to normal after EMCS, and altho I'm following no lifting rule, I was driving after 9 days thanks to lovely dr.

I had limited internet access in hosp, so just popping back to begin to read your news and say CONGRATULATIONS Fjord and littlered!! Also good luck midget - I guess baby midget might be here by now ...?
Someone mentioned a 40s grads thread a few pages ago - I'm in! Shall we start one? I have no idea how to bring up a baby at my ripe old age, so will really need this smile
Eagleray I was touched by your kind offer to help me with my cot ordering - baby sleeping in makeshift arrangements today, and will message you if I get stuck.
Hi to all xxx

knottyhair Wed 10-Oct-12 15:12:20

Hi bytheseaside, so glad to hear everything's OK. Lots of love to you and your gorgeous DD xx

somewherebecomingrain Wed 10-Oct-12 15:48:31

great seaside so lovely to hear it xxxx inspiring to hear of someone feeling back to normal 9 days after delivery smile

scarecrow22 Wed 10-Oct-12 16:23:27

envy at all these narrow hip wink. My mum used to "console" me I had " good child- bearing hips"...which didn't quite win over this teenager! <memo to self when DD starts up about such things>

More importantly anybody with SPD please please take it very seriously. My sister didn't and is still recovering four years later. Hers was acute and there are complications, and she is a rare case. But please get help and take good advice about resing or whatever. Lecture over.

ValiumQueen Wed 10-Oct-12 16:23:50

Welcome home baby seaside x

This thread is not accepting new messages.