Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Fantastic 40+ Mum to be - part 2

(1000 Posts)
Hpbp Mon 08-Oct-12 07:42:26

Let's keep on chatting !
Awaiting to hear from you all.
Midget, how are you feeling after the sweep ?
Exexe, are you happy with the new kitchen ? Very glad to see you back on here.
Warm welcome to the only Dad we have on the thread, sorry I could not remember your name as I write this.
Have a lovely Monday. Pouring rain in Paris today.

somewherebecomingrain Sun 11-Nov-12 10:47:48

Chortle. Ladies u do cheer me up xx

knottyhair Sun 11-Nov-12 14:13:21

Hi everyone! Just popping in quickly - hope those of you feeling rough are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel! Got my last scan tomorrow (34 wks) and they're also giving me a date for the CS - it's all getting a bit real!

Midgetm Sun 11-Nov-12 14:28:42

34 weeks? Bloody hell where did that go?

eagleray Sun 11-Nov-12 15:24:06

How exciting Knotty! - those last few weeks will fly by I'm sure. Aren't they meant to be doing the CS about a week before Xmas? That will hopefully give you a little bit of time to recover and then get home for the 25th...

Today I have been mostly flogging things at a car boot sale (part of my ongoing campaign to purge the house of surplus items). Spent most of the night awake for some stupid reason, then got there just after sunrise to find we have been given a pitch in the mud - nightmare! Anyway, made a few quid for the pram fund and am finally reclining on the sofa, my back having gone into some sort of semi paralysis/spasm some hours ago (didn't sit down at all for 5 hours as was so hellbent on trying to get rid of things)

MrsW - used to watch OBEM and find it mildly fascinating/entertaining - can't bear it now, for some reason.. hmm

Big wave to all and hope you enjoy the last embers of the weekend....

knottyhair Sun 11-Nov-12 19:18:48

Midget, I know, I'm not sure really! Eagle, yes should be around 17th fingers crossed. Glad you made a bit of money at the car boot, and hope your back is OK, take it easy if you can.
DS helped me put all the baby clothes away this afternoon and we had a chat about me being in hospital and away from him. Think I put his mind at rest by telling him that DP will bring him in asap, then take him home for Xbox and fish & chips whilst I'm not there! We've just made our first 15 min meal from Jamie's book (team effort between DP, DS & me), and it was vairy nice - Greek chicken with couscous & tzatziki. Forgot to time it though but it was quick! Definitely will be making use of that book in the next few months years. Hope you've all had nice Sundays.

somewherebecomingrain Mon 12-Nov-12 10:19:05

oh knotty you've joined my cult! how wonderful. yes i've got my eye on that greek chicken recipe. it's what i might make next.

My goodness it's coming up so quick! Rosa is on her way! smile

well done eagle for the car boot - did you feel hungover the next day? I always do after i overdo it while preggo. PS i keep seeing a major Guardian writer in the swimming pool - he with his kids, i with my kid. My DP spoke to him once in a fanboy way and he knows who i am cause he caught me staring.

mrsw i started watching OBEM last night. i didn't want to watch it before because i felt sad that i might not have another child but now i suppose i can let myself get into it, in the safe knowledge that none of it applies to me cause i'll have an ELCS. It was amazing.

midget how are you? indeed how are LRM, fjord, VQ, bytheseaside you owe us all an update - or i'll just come look on the baby thread (although feel superstitious about that).

xxx

eagleray Mon 12-Nov-12 18:34:38

Arghgh looks like I will join the cult of Jamie and his 15 minute meals as well - cannot stand the bloke but there are enough veggie recipes in the book to justify buying it and think it would be a good way of getting DP to cook meals for me (would probably suit his short attention span)

Somewhere - yes, feeling a bit wrecked today after such a busy day yesterday - might not have felt so bad if I had gone to bed a bit earlier last night!

I have been looking periodically at the baby thread - it's lovely to see how everyone is getting on 'on the other side' and quite an education - I think sleep deprivation is the key theme!

knottyhair Mon 12-Nov-12 19:51:58

Oh I luuuurve Jamie! I know he can be a bit OTT but I think he's amazing - DS idolises him as well and has his own DVD of Jamie at Home which he watches all the time.
34 wk scan today and all well - estimated weight at the moment is 5lb 12oz! Finally have my ELCS booked, for 17 December, so fingers crossed should be home for Christmas all being well. Has anyone had an ELCS before? The consultant said I would need to inject myself with something for a few days after I come home to help clotting?? I must admit I was a bit shell shocked and didn't really pay attention - what a twat blush.

scarecrow22 Mon 12-Nov-12 20:23:54

knotty I had to do that after DD (though as I lost shed loads of blood cos it won't clot didn't totally make sense to me confused... And don't worry I take meds which caused complication. The good news is you can survive well with nearly half you blood down a drain...) anyway I really am squeamish about needles - I look away in films/tv...- but I was fine with it. It's more like an epinephrine and you just stick it in your bum or thigh or something - more of a prick than full needle experience. So be reassured.

Ooh, do tell - or give a clue - somewhere, who is writer? I'm guessing it must be one with a picture byline if you recognise them? I also read Guardian! Okay, enough incriminating info about me.

Oh, and Jamie in 15 on my Christmas list. Family in stitches as my poor cooking something of a legend. In his wedding speech DH said that through me he had explored new avenues of scientific wonder - such as it is truly possible to burn a pan of water... I'm thinking two DC and quick cooking a good combo. Does it do a quick Thai curry (and can it be quicker than my "open tin of M&S Thai chicken, add veg, heat in pan, serve" rece. Slovenly, but not bad!!

Finally WHEN does friggin' MS go? Less constant but still feature of every day, and some attacks really sudden and strong (nausea, but v horrid), plus headaches still nearly every day. Not enjoying this <self pity smiley>

scarecrow22 Mon 12-Nov-12 20:24:39

More like an Epi-pen. Silly auto-correct...

eagleray Mon 12-Nov-12 21:19:16

Scarecrow - there is a full recipe list in one of the books reviews here - hope this helps... Sorry you are still feeling rough - I think I finally started feeling better around 15 weeks. I was never THAT ill to begin with, but do recall feeling like someone had switched the lights back on again

Got a bit of a headache myself this eve - am seriously considering taking drastic action and heading off to bed soon. I should be a lot more tired than I actually am - maybe I get away with it because I have a desk job?

Knotty - a date, and a fairly well-cooked baby already! Eurgh to the injecting though. The epi-pen doesn't sound so bad though.

somewherebecomingrain Tue 13-Nov-12 09:56:45

I vacillate over Jamie Oliver. Clearly he's quite lovable but then he's a brand and I'm not going to get too fond of a brand. Yet he has done some righteous things - he's a relatively ethical brand. I was watching the 15 minutes programme on ch4 and allowing myself to really get lifted up on the 'Buffalo Girls' theme tune and the whole 'pioneer' metaphor - Jamie is a cowboy in the wild west of cooking!. Then i found his presentation deeply irritating.

but the food is good - can't knock it.

I have been a bit sad over the weekend. My mum has just had a health scare - she got this lump in her neck which is apparently a 'sentinel' gland for really bad things. Some preliminary tests show it's not something in her organs that will carry her away in 6 months - it's confined to the lymphatic system. So semi-relief.

it's wierd in a way i didn't feel sad about it (although i did cry quite a lot) but at the same time these anxieties about the world ending through climate change started to engulf me, like a metaphor. It was a very strange weekend. She's nearly 80 so these things are on the cards.

Sorry to dump about it.

knotty you are the sole December lady on the thread so you are going to get lots of attention!

Only ever had an EMCS but i imagine an ELCS being very civilised, scope for a cup of tea before and after, a kind of 9-5 thing. Maybe that's naive of me...smile The clotting meds do slightly complicate that picture but as scarecrow says v. simple in practice.

scarecrow lol re your cooking! The sickness for me faded gradually from week 14, approx. i have found taking vitamins - even spatone - brings it back. i have to get my vits from food.

definitely feeling baby kick. scan on friday - going to find out sex.

xxx

knottyhair Tue 13-Nov-12 10:39:05

Scarecrow, thanks for the reassurance, that sounds a bit less scary! Eagle hope your headache didn't hang around too long. Somewhere, really sorry about your mum, it must be a worry. It's weird how we suddenly realise how old our parents are getting and having to accept all the health worries that go along with that. My mum turned 75 on Saturday and in the last few years has started acting "old" IYKWIM! Mind you, the birth of her great-granddaughter seems to have given her a bit of a boost, and she's really looking forward to cuddling Rosa smile. Good luck for your scan!

Making mushroom & potato curry for tonight, then having another go at Jamie's book tomorrow - going to attempt the swedish meatballs.

eagleray Wed 14-Nov-12 23:28:05

Cor - bit quiet on here of late, isn't it?

Sorry to hear about your mum's health scare Scarecrow - as Knotty said, it's quite frightening I think when you realise your parents are possibly approaching frail health. I found some old pics of my mum and me together recently and realised she must have been considerably younger than I am now, and now she is effectively an old woman.

Had a couple more 'massive' comments this week - one from a woman collecting something for sale from my house, and the other from a colleague I barely know. Just replied that I was actually measuring completely normal for dates, and that the baby was very average in size and one woman said no, I was definitely very big and so it must be fluid! Maybe I am in some sort of denial? Bah - who cares anyway! I can still run up a flight of stairs (but I might just try and sit on the next person who goes on about the massive thing)

Knotty - how did the curry and meatball recipes go? I should have added the book to my Amazon list tonight as did a big shop but was clearly too preoccupied with clicking on iron sachets and boob cream.

Caught a bit of OBEM tonight and found myself really irritated by all the shouting and squawking, mostly when the midwives were all trying to get women to push the baby out. Just sounded really unnecessary and stressful - think I would tell everyone to bugger off if they all started shouting at once!

somewherebecomingrain Thu 15-Nov-12 07:33:30

Yes it is bloody quiet come on ladies

I watched OBEM too last night wishe they had some c-sections its not v representative. Also you see how kind of fake the midwives are with their pushing pep shouting. Not fake but just they do it day in day out.

Sorry grumpy as hell ds woke me up at 5.45 am. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Been trying to get better at disci

Eagle sorryyour getting

somewherebecomingrain Thu 15-Nov-12 07:36:31

Yes it is bloody quiet come on ladies

I watched OBEM too last night wishe they had some c-sections its not v representative. Also you see how kind of fake the midwives are with their pushing pep shouting. Not fake but just they do it day in day out.

Sorry grumpy as hell ds woke me up at 5.45 am. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Been trying to get better at discipline - explain offer alternatives dont shout all that. But gonna b on the ropes today

Eagle sorryyour getting these comments are u slim making u're bump more noticeable? It is a famous no no to say the bump is big small or in any way exceptional - except perhaps at the end when everyone is massive xxx

somewherebecomingrain Thu 15-Nov-12 07:37:13

Damn phone

riversidelibrary Thu 15-Nov-12 08:05:33

somewhere I've also had a scary week with my Mum, she had a heart attack on Friday. She seemed to make a great recovery on Saturday, talking and walking normally in her little hospital room, but an angiogram on Monday showed she needs an urgent triple bypass operation. Now we're waiting for a bed to become free at Kings hospital so she can be transferred for the op.

On the positive side thinking about the little one is keeping me sane. After a stressful day I lay in bed for quarter of an hour just watching my belly ripple as he had a good old kick around. Midwife appt tomorrow, not expecting great things of my blood pressure!

eagleray I've had very few comments about my size. Although I must be looking big as people leap out of their seats when I squeeze onto the tube, or maybe I just look knackered!

knottyhair Thu 15-Nov-12 08:20:50

Riverside, really sorry about your Mum. Similar thing happened a few years ago with my Dad - he had a quadruple bypass and he lost a lot of blood in theatre and we were basically told to go and say our goodbyes. 15 years on and he's still here, and happy & healthy. Really hope all goes well for your family.
Eagle, I've had a few of those comments, although an equal amount saying how neat the bump looks. I got weighed at the hospital this week and I've only put on about 1.5 stone this time (BMI has gone from 23 to 27). People just seem to think you're public property when you're pregnant! The curry recipe was very simple but tasty, here. The swedish meatballs from 15 min meals were really nice, and I made double of the meatballs & sauce so I can freeze them and just cook the rice/veg.
Somewhere, hope you get some rest today.
Hope everyone else is OK xx

knickyknocks Thu 15-Nov-12 13:59:00

Hello ladies, sorry I've been quiet for a while....
flaming heck eagleray seriously where do people get off talking about size of bump.....that said, someone told me I was a 'lovely shape' today (no idea what they meant but would rather they didn't comment).

all that said, ladies, this time, my whammers are enormous! Ridiculous. Already filling (and experiencing a rather unattractive overspill) a 36FF. Have no idea where it's all going to end - probably with my nipples brushing the floor no doubt sometime by 40 weeks. Will need to get a new bra because the ones I have are quite frankly starting to look obscene.....

Not weighed myself in a couple of weeks. Last time I checked I've put on 13 pounds at 22 weeks. Suspect I've gone over the stone mark now - no idea if that's good or bad, but I don't feel as if I've gone overboard with my eating.

riverside so sorry to hear about your mum. What a worry that must be. I really hope things smoothly and she's on the mend as soon as she can be.

bytheseaside Thu 15-Nov-12 14:32:53

Just popping back to say hi to everyone from the other side, and also sleep, sleep, sleep while you can!!
Life with baby seaside is lovely and knackering in equal measure, made much more manageable by lovely ladies on fantastic 40s mum thread, make sure you come and join!
Best of luck, especially to everyone in the middle of a difficult week x

scarecrow22 Thu 15-Nov-12 16:48:50

somewhere and riverside really sorry to hear about your mums. I've had a few health scares with dad in last few years - including being told he had MRSA after a heart procedure...only to find out 24 hours later he was a carrier (most are) but was not actually infected. Anyway, I am close to my mum and so really do feel for you - selfishly I am glad I have my own family now as I find it nice to have a focus in the other direction, and also it will be so lovely for your mums to think about grandchildren and life and innocent love and fun. And do do talk/dump, whatever. That's what we are here for and it will help.

Talking of positive news, so so hope the scan goes well tomorrow somewhere - we demand your presence here ASAP after to report news!! Mine is three weeks today, more a 20.5 week scan; (you are cheating wink). No real movement yet, but the good old nausea (and acne!!!) tells me something still going on.

Btw, any of you been to a VBAC clinic? Am debating natural birth attempt but seems doomed to fail given I never went into labour last time and max time they give you to start pushing is 6-8 hours. But a funny (odd) bit of me feels I should try...then my brain says "you idiot: book an ELCS at 39wks and be done with it"...

Oh, and have any of you London commuters got a TfL "baby on board" badge? Will I look a tool? blush

riversidelibrary Thu 15-Nov-12 17:50:31

Thank you all for the kind thoughts, it's much appreciated. No more news, Mum still stuck at the local hospital waiting for a transfer date to Kings for the operation. She sounds in good spirits though and I'll be going down to Sussex to spend the weekend with her and Dad and keep them company.

Oh somewhere I should have said earlier, I too have bought Jamie's 15 minute book now, what have you started!

Hpbp Thu 15-Nov-12 19:37:29

Riverside, hope your mum feels better soon.
Knotty, one month to go, hey ! Enjoy these weeks. Are you getting everything ready ?
Knicky, you made me laugh, i have never had such beautiful breast than during pg, starting now to lose them a bit although still BF
Agree with Seaside, sleep and get prepared as much as you can before baby arrives.
Good luck to every one, still following your journeys.
Hugs to all

eagleray Thu 15-Nov-12 19:55:48

Very sorry your mum has been so ill Riverside - I hope she gets her operation asap. Glad the baby is providing you with some distraction - I usually have some time belly prodding when I get home from work (and normally throw in some daft one-sided conversation as well)

Regarding the size comments, I have had the 'neat bump' comments as well, and also been told I look well and look tired on the same day! I think part of it is because I work in a huge building with several thousand people and so the chances of striking up a conversation with someone is pretty high. Interesting, the men all keep their mouths shut and when pressed have said they value their lives too much to even try making personal comments!

Last night when I was in the shower, my feet felt a bit weird, so craned my neck and looked downwards and was really shocked at how swollen they were! It seems to have come on in the last couple of days and is troubling me a bit as not actually sure if it is normal or a sign of anything (still a bit paranoid after the protein in wee thing a couple of weeks ago). Luckily I have joint consultant appt tomorrow so will dump all my fears and concerns on them when I arrive! Meanwhile, I have been trying to keep my feet up while sat at my desk today - basically went round the office and stole whatever objects I could to build a tower high enough to rest my legs on and raise my feet as high as possible - was daring people to laugh at me...

Knicky - your weight gain sounds pretty good/normal. I have given up weighing myself as don't really feel there's much I can do about it. I know I am bigger, but aside from the bump,everything seems to be a different shape to just being fat, if you know what I mean? I think the fat must cling in a different way when you are pregnant!

Great to hear from you Seaside - do you mean we should sleep while we can now? I am struggling with that at the moment, and will no doubt regret this come January!

Somewhere - good luck for your scan tomorrow! How exciting finding out the sex too!

Scarecrow - I have no personal experience of VBAC but a close friend had once after EMCS with DC1. She managed on gas and air and was so happy with the experience she wanted to do it all over again afterwards (nothing to do with the hot young junior doctor who was in attendance I am sure...)

This thread is not accepting new messages.