Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Anyone used an independent midwife?

(13 Posts)
ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sat 06-Oct-12 20:52:52

Pg with DC3. DS was born by ventouse after induction and I had a 3rd/4th degree tear (conflicting notes).

DD was born by elcs but more out of fear than necessity.

I would really like a vbac with as little intervention as possible but feel this might not be possible with the NHS. Just wondered if anyone has had any experience with independent midwives (goor or bad)?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

ImpYCelyn Sat 06-Oct-12 22:41:01

I've had two home births, first one NHS, 2nd IM. The first one was faster and less painful, but was a hideous experience, and the MW injured DS1 and left me pretty traumatised. We were going to go with the NHS 2nd time and just be more assertive, but the prenatal care was awful and I was starting to panic, so we got an IM.

She was fantastic! Asked what we wanted to do and then supported us to do it (with the caveat that if there was a medical issue she would put her foot down and deal with it).

The post-natal care was amazing! She came back later the day he was born, the day after, and then twice a week for four weeks. And she was happy to come back more if needed, we were fine though.

Also for the prenatal she came to us, and came in the evenings, after DS1 was in bed, so DH could be there as well.

DH was so impressed that if he's already saying that if we have another we'll have an IM.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 22:48:17

Another cheaper option is doula as support with NHS mw

halloweeneyqueeney Sat 06-Oct-12 22:52:38

I'm having an IM do my antenatal classes and birth plan then a doula (VBAC) can't afford an IM for the whole thing so its a good comprimise for us

plus as I am planning to have my VBAC in a NHS hospital, the IM couldn't be my MW once in the hospital and would have to take the role of a doula once through the hospital anyway, and the doula we've chosen is very experienced

halloweeneyqueeney Sat 06-Oct-12 22:54:01

one of the great things for us is that with both of us working and a toddler to look after it'ld be really hard for DH to make it to NHS antenatal appointments or classes this time, but the IM can come to us at a time that suits us

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 22:55:50

For my next pg I am hoping to use a doula who is an ex im

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sun 07-Oct-12 08:35:04

Thanks all. I hadn't considered that an IM wouldn't be able to deliver in a hospital. I would LOVE a homebirth but I know OH would feel very uncomfortable with this. He likes the security of hospital. I might look into a doula though. When do you 'start' with a doula?x

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 07-Oct-12 08:56:17

the ones round here can in the private hospital/private MLU but not an NHS one and I want to be near a CLU rather than be transferred again. As soon as you're transferred to NHS they must assume the role of doula only

ImpYCelyn Sun 07-Oct-12 09:21:37

Book a doula asap, they fill up.

They visit you a couple of times before the birth to discuss your plans, come for the birth and then do one visit afterwards.

You can also look for a post natal doula if you want support afterwards; or book a post natal package with an IM.

ImpYCelyn Sun 07-Oct-12 09:22:59

FWIW I had a doula at my first birth. Having an IM was much better.

bonzo77 Sun 07-Oct-12 09:25:23

My mum did with my little DB. She had a rotten time with me, and a good time with a private consultant with my middle brother. 3rd time she had an IM who came to the house for all appointments. Obv she had scans and amnio under the nhs hospital. The IM had an arrangement with a (not very local) NHS hospital, but not sure if mum had DB on a private wing there. My mum has encouraged me to go the same route, and offered to pay as we're short. But the hospital wanted me consultant lead, and I want a repeat CS so there seemed no point.

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 07-Oct-12 09:43:03

I think it entirely depends on the doula

some have just had their own children and done the course and attended a few births

others have health care qualifications, years of experience as maternity HCAs and may even be ex MWs

it depends on what you want from them, different people want different things from their doulas, if you want as close to an IM experience as you can get without the price tag then look for someone with lots of maternity experience not just their own childbirth and a bit of doula-ing!

EdgarAllanPond Sun 07-Oct-12 10:05:43

if, for any reason i had to give birth in a hospital, i would want an IM.

1 in 4 women are left unattended in labour, having my own MW there with me - even in the role of supporter and advocate - would be better.

at home, the NHS did a great job, though of course transfer is always a possibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now