Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Just been offered Whooping Cough jab - please help me decide!

(143 Posts)
crackcrackcrak Thu 04-Oct-12 21:33:27

I'm 36+2 and need to have it by 38 weeks if I want it. So I need to decide and book within a week.
I am concerned this is new so hard to research and make decision based on history of side effects etc.
ATM I am more worried about having it BUT I am in the south west where the outbreak was.
I have never reacted to a jan before but allergic to penicillin and often react v strongly to medication - cant be dealing with that!
Please advise....
TIA

mamabrownbear Sun 06-Jan-13 09:29:35

What is actually in the vaccine? Does anyone know if it has any nasties in it such as lead? Mercury? Formildhyde? Heavy metals etcs? Apparently these have been connected to austism which obviously would be a long-term consequence of taking any vaccines. Obviously I would like to take the vaccine to ensure my new born will be safe from whooping cough but I also want to be able to make the decision knowing what I'm taking?

Emsyboo Sun 06-Jan-13 10:53:32

no there definitely is no mercury this used to be in the old vaccine for WC and caused some children to fit but was removed in the late 80's.
I don't think,anything else is in. It is just the booster they give to 3 year olds not a live vaccine like MMR either. Remember they are giving it to you not the baby I have looked into it a lot the negatives I have found is it may not get passed on through the placenta as much as we would like but in that case at least you are more protected as your immune system is lower in pregnancy and the other negative may be it does get passed on but means the vaccine they get at 8 weeks may not be as effective.
These are unknowns at the moment and may vary from mother to mother child to child.
IMO the benefits outweigh the negatives WC is a nasty illness and if the cases continue to rise I want to keep my child as safe as possible. My MIL is antivax my DH only got vaccines after contracting measles and meningitis in his teens and his sisters are not vaccinated for anything she is of the opinion that noone ever dies from these illnesses anymore - but that simply isn't true they are just not as big killers as they used to be due to antibiotics and vaccinations.
I have had the whooping cough vaccine thispregnancy and got it as soon as i was 28 weeks but that is because there is a risk of pre term delivery.
I have no regrets there are nocredible links to any vaccine and autism but I appreciate everyone has different circumstances and may react differently you have to do what is best for you and your baby.

BouncyPenguin Tue 08-Jan-13 14:09:46

To anyone reading this thread whilst wondering whether to have the vaccine...Please have the vaccine. It is safe. It could save your baby's life. My son nearly died of whooping cough which he caught at 3 weeks old. He is 6 months old now and still has the whoop. It was a terrifying and exhausting experience for the whole family and all I could do was watch my son suffer and suffer and suffer. If you don't have the vaccine and your baby gets whooping cough just like my boy and they are one of the unlucky ones who don't survive (13 babies died last year) then are you prepared to deal with the death of your child from something that you could have prevented? Think about it and then go and get the vaccine.

PeggyL Tue 08-Jan-13 15:07:00

I've had the WC jab, no side effects for me except a really sore arm for about 3 days. I was initially unsure until a colleague told me that happened to her newborn who got it & was in intensive care. Same as that they get in their jabs, just protects them till the 8 work jab.

milkyjo Tue 08-Jan-13 15:28:07

I'm having mine on Friday, I will be 31 weeks. I have seen 2 babies in the last 9 months in ICU in one hospital with WC. That is 2 too many for my liking, for something that could be prevented. I couldn't care less what side effects I get, as long as baby is safe.

Emsyboo Tue 08-Jan-13 15:29:09

Sorry you are having to go through this BouncyPenguin hope you are ok and DC makes a full recovery soon.
I think that explains it all really the negatives of having the WC vaccine certainly are nothing to if your child gets ill big hugs x x

mamabrownbear Tue 08-Jan-13 20:23:15

Very interested to read the comment re getting immunised against WC using homeopathic treatment...does anyone know if you can do this? I'd much prefer that...

noblegiraffe Tue 08-Jan-13 21:07:02

No, you can't get immunised against whooping cough using homeopathy because homeopathy is magic water and scientifically bollocks. Please use evidence-based medicine instead to protect your baby.

mamabrownbear Tue 08-Jan-13 21:42:22

That may be your opinion but if someone has actual information that would be most interesting.

noblegiraffe Tue 08-Jan-13 21:44:40

No, it's not my opinion, it's pretty obvious that you can't vaccinate against whooping cough with water, no matter how many times you shake the bottle.

sundaesundae Tue 08-Jan-13 21:47:59

Homeopathy is scientifically proven not to work, therefore I doubt anyone will have any scientific proof to back up any opinions on successful treatment using homeopathy. Hugely diluted "whatever" placed in a test tube and flicked against a special cushion isn't going to protect your baby from anything.

Ben Goldacre's Bad Science book has an excellent section on homeopathy, I suggest you go and read that before spending any more time, money or energy on magic water.

noblegiraffe Tue 08-Jan-13 21:54:37

Let's not have more babies dying because their parents think homeopathy is a reasonable substitute for evidence-based medicine.

www.theaustralian.com.au/news/baby-died-after-failure-of-therapy/story-e6frg6o6-1225708633614

mamabrownbear Tue 08-Jan-13 22:01:58

Goodness, I was asking because the more information or ways of protecting children without risk of long term suffering or any of these unknown potential side effects is worth trying to find out about. I'm not happy about taking a vaccine but I'm not happy about my child potentially dying either. I keep an open mind and will explore every lead and try to make the best decision with the information I can find. You don't ask, you'll never know but I'd rather ask than blinding take alternative or conventional treatments, either of which could be useless or worse, dangerous. I think we can all agree no one wants theirs, or anyone's else's child to die of WC.

noblegiraffe Tue 08-Jan-13 22:14:53

You're still interested in attempting to protect your baby against whooping cough using water instead of a vaccine?

chocolatesolveseverything Tue 08-Jan-13 22:36:21

mamabrownbear I'm sure you're just trying to keep open-minded, but do read some of the critical literature about homeopathy before considering that path. I agree that Ben Goldacre's book is very good and an entertaining read.

There are many people (including me) who see red when homeopathy is mentioned because it is practiced and sold by so many charlatans who would happily try to persuade you that their sugar pill containing no active medical ingredient (conventional, herbal, or otherwise) will cure or protect your child. So please don't be offended by our anger. It is because we are completely disgusted by so-called 'caring homeopathic experts' who will prey on others' fears about conventional medicine; letting people get sicker, and even occasionally die; so that they may make a profit.

mamabrownbear Tue 08-Jan-13 22:49:05

Thanks chocolatesolveseverything. Not offended at all. Everyone has different experiences and we are all approaching this from lots of angles. I've had very positive experiences with homeopathy but I've been lucky to be able to meet good practitioners. Not met one in years mind, not needed or interested in treatment which is why I was asking if anyone knew anything about it, not heard of WC related treatment, not even crossed my mind! So innocently I thought I'd ask. I've also had bad and good experiences with acupuncture too and goes without saying bad and good experiences with the NHS. Don't even get me started on hairdressers! But aren't we lucky we have options for medical care and a resource to support each other as we all try to do the best we can smiledon't want to take this thread off on tangent, I just though it was an interesting comment in the earlier post by another.

Emsyboo Tue 08-Jan-13 23:33:39

Alternative medicines are fine for ailments and pain relief etc but they can't help with these kinds of diseases.
Keeping an open mind is good but 'some' homeopathy treatments and practitioners can be dangerous hence the reaction from many.
The vaccine has some unknowns at the moment but biologists and scientists have a pretty good idea of the safety of these vaccines based on the human body and other tests including how it acts as a booster.
I understand you don't always want to blindly follow what the government tells you to do but vaccines have saved so many lives so many that we don't see these diseases as being as dangerous as they are.
Getting facts and options is great but be careful of some propaganda. Look for credible research and articles that give both sides of the argument homeopathy research tends to be one sided when it comes to serious diseases and anti vax not to say some 'scientific' research can't be the same but don't trust that either.
Saying that what really angers me is people who don't get vaccinated purely because they heard it wasn't good and everyone else getting vaccinated will protect their child. If you do your research and have a genuine reason based on facts not to vaccinate that is fine but complacency around vaccines annoys me - sorry I digress as obviously no one here fits that category.

emmyloo2 Wed 09-Jan-13 07:28:04

My favourite comment of the day would have to go to noblegiraffe: "No, you can't get immunised against whooping cough using homeopathy because homeopathy is magic water and scientifically bollocks. Please use evidence-based medicine instead to protect your baby."

Brilliant stuff and totally agree.

My MIL insisted she would have the homeopathic vaccine for whooping cough when we asked that she be vaccinated when our DS was born. There is an epidemic going through my state (in Australia) and it is recommended by the Australian Medical Association that all grandparents and parents have the vaccine if they will be in contact with newborn children. She refused. I was so pissed off and threatened that she would not have contact with her grandson until he received his vaccine. This is when she propose the homeopathic remedy. Ridiculous.

What baffles me the most is people take it upon themselves to question to advice of qualified individuals. I am a lawyer, not a doctor. You can't try and read some studies and pretend to interpret and understand them unless you are qualified. Stop pretending to know and understand what you are reading and protect your child for god's sake. And don't get me started on parents who refuse to vaccinate their children. That should be compulsory. Makes me furious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now