Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I had pre-eclampsia, please tell me not to worry over this news report

(13 Posts)

Doverbeach, here here, couldn't have put it better myself. My DS was also premature and indeed there's even more around regarding the impact of that on health/IQ etc etc. But I agree, we can't change anything: the guilt is irrational <repeats to self x100>, and we must continue to live our lives and enjoy our children! However I wholeheartedly support any research that can lead to a reduction in rates of premature birth etc., and the best neonatal care possible. That is worthy research IMO.

DoverBeach Thu 04-Oct-12 19:23:45

It's a very small study of 400 men of which only 40 (at most) had mothers affected by PE. These men were born in Finland in the 1930s and 1940s, so the conditions of their birth, early nutrition and environment are very different from now. The average 4.3% difference is hardly significant in such a small study. There are many factors which govern IQ, it is much too complicated to attribute this difference to one thing.

So, please don't worry. My daughter was born very prematurely and there are numerous studies about how awful that can be for IQ, health, emotional well-being etc. etc. I try to ignore them and understand that my guilt, although painful, is also irrational.

Lora1982 Thu 04-Oct-12 19:07:48

my mum had it.... id like to think im not thick...

Sosmum Thu 04-Oct-12 18:47:39

I had PE with dd who is 6yrs 4mths old....just started yr2. She has a reading age of 10yrs 6mths I have been told so I wouldn't worry!

Don't feel guilty - it's just a story to sell papers.

ThreeWheelsGood Thu 04-Oct-12 18:09:05

If it's any reassurance, my mum had pre eclampsia with me, now I have a Master's degree with distinction. I know a few other very bright sparks e.g. my partner who were also born after induction/pre eclampsia grin

Dame I have low bp too (to the point they thought I was in shock), 1yo DS is quite lazy as well!

DameFanny Thu 04-Oct-12 12:10:13

Am tempted to post that my blood pressure was the low end of normal throughout pregnancy and ds is a dimwit wink.

Except he's not. He is very lazy though - helpful?

Fire I started a similar thread here on mumsnet. Maternal guilt is a horrible thing that too many of us are plagued by. Pre-eclampsia is not known to be "caused" by anything a mother can knowingly control. And the study simply shows a correlation - it cannot stictly infer cause and effect. Don't let it get to you! FWIW I have spent many years beating myself up about DS's start in life if truth me told, but now he is 7 and I refuse to worry about the past - focus on the present and the wonderful, amazing child he, and my other two children, are.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 04-Oct-12 11:07:33

Another thing to worry about!

I had Pre-eclampsia in both previous pregnancies (from 34 weeks with ds1, and from 20 weeks with ds2) and both boys seems to be bright, intelligent children!

elah11 Thu 04-Oct-12 09:44:19

I had PE on ds1 who is now 13, will be 14 at Christmas, and I can definitely say its had no adverse effect on his cognitive abilities ! He is doing Higher level in all his school subjects (Junior Cert here in Ireland) and is a bright, well adjusted, social boy who has a natural feel for maths and science.

bruffin Thu 04-Oct-12 09:36:44

I had pre-eclampsia from 32 weeks and induced at 38 weeks. DS is now 17. He does have dyslexic problems but they are the same as DH so more than likely genetic. However he is very intelligent and counted as gifted and talented at school. He is taking maths, further maths and physics for a'level and his visual spatial reasoning scores are high (tested for because of dyslexia).
As SSP says its not something we could do anything about

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 04-Oct-12 09:26:30

It's an interesting study but it's the first of its kind and I'd imagine a lot more work needs to be done to corroborate it.

Your DS sounds great smile I was also induced at 37 weeks with my DS due to pre-eclampsia. He's only 2.9 but so far he has hit all of his physical milestones significantly early, started talking at 10 months with full sentences by 16 months, has good social skills, has the numeracy skills expected of a 4yo and is generally one smart cookie. He is also a fabulously funny little boy who I love to bits!

If this study is correct then I don't think PE has done our DC much harm. It's not something that we inflicted on them, it's just one of those things that happens and is out of our control. If I'd been smoking and drinking throughout pregnancy or scoffing KFC every day and that caused harm, then I'd feel guilty.

Apparently my hypertension will have reduced my DS's IQ and cause it to reduce further in later life.

I felt guilty enough that he had to be induced at 37 weeks because of concerns about my blood pressure, but now apprently I will have impaired his mental faculties as well.

He was a bright and happy little boy when I left home this morning, please someone just tell me that this study is rubbish, or circumstances are different now or something, I'm just sitting at my PC thinking I've got him off to a crap start in life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now