Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

What is the first thing you'll eat after baby has come out?!

(98 Posts)
mummy2benji Wed 03-Oct-12 20:36:12

Just felt like posting a fun silly thread! (36+4 and I am clearly bored...) When ds was born I had to stay in hospital overnight and hubby brought me in a half bottle of champagne (that waited till I got home as I thought the midwives might not like me having a glass on the postnatal ward...), some pate and stilton. It was soo nice to indulge in some previously forbidden treats! I am planning the same pate feast again this time, plus dreaming about soft-boiled eggs with toast soldiers.... drooling smile

Squigglywiggly Wed 03-Oct-12 20:38:00

Goats cheese! Baby due imminently and am drooling at our local deli counter

zigwig Wed 03-Oct-12 20:39:04

Brie! Though I've got ages to wait. I miss soft cheese!

Secondsop Wed 03-Oct-12 21:25:40

If my gestational diabetes has gone: CHIPS and CHOCOLATE. If it hasn't gone, champagne, camembert, Brie.

Badgerina Wed 03-Oct-12 21:38:47

Champagne, pâté, steak tartare.

xmasevebundle Wed 03-Oct-12 22:24:34

Agree with a runny egg! Even worse when you crave themsad

A runny egg with bacon and when the egg pops it goes everywhere! Also runny egg with chips! i feel depressed now

I really want a glass of baileysblush

Skellig Wed 03-Oct-12 23:36:02

DH is under instructions to have a bottle of Bombay Sapphire, tonic, ice and lemon awaiting my return from hospital. May not drink it all in one go (!), but fantasising about that first sip... grin

CailinDana Wed 03-Oct-12 23:41:41

Eh I am 20 weeks and ate pate and a runny egg today! I don't hold much truck will all the warnings TBH.

2blessed Thu 04-Oct-12 04:41:35

A huge hunk of bread smothered with brie and pate...

Happybunny12 Thu 04-Oct-12 05:28:31

Realistically, the first thing you'll eat will probably be the toast the midwives bring you... wink

DeeMidwife Thu 04-Oct-12 06:24:34

Haha, what a great thread! The first thing I ate after having my youngest was tea and toast and it tasted like the bEST tea and toast ever! Other than that what I desperately wanted was peanut butter but it was several months before I got to have any of that sad

ZuleikaD Thu 04-Oct-12 06:37:46

My husband always eats the toast because I've usually got a new baby clamped to my breast and I can't get to it. Realistically it'll probably be the same as the previous times - the dextrose tablets left over from labour.

BikeRunSki Brazil Thu 04-Oct-12 06:44:45

It was tea and toast both times. With DD I'd had a GA and they made me wait 24 hours.

When DS was a week old and we were still in hospital and I'd decided that bf was not for us, I sent DH a message that said "Peanut butter, Stilton, Red wine"

newtonupontheheath Thu 04-Oct-12 07:20:42

The actual first thing will be the massive pack of Jaffa cakes I have waiting

The first "proper" thing will be bread with cheese from the cheese hamper my friend is making me grin

mummy2benji Thu 04-Oct-12 08:02:13

Mmmm yum smile You're all right about the tea and toast though in reality! Although with ds I do remember the cheap hospital toast being the best I'd ever tasted! I think they brought hubby a bacon sandwich while I was in labour and I didn't get anything...

May have to go and drool at my local deli cheese counter today... smile

ZuleikaD Thu 04-Oct-12 08:22:00

You can eat Stilton, you can eat Brie and Camembert and soft goats cheese (as long as these last three are cooked).

Dogsmom Thu 04-Oct-12 08:28:37

Placenta on toast.

Just kidding.

AnneH656 Thu 04-Oct-12 08:56:20

oo straight from the cow still bleeding steak......

and a glug of wine that isnt just an inch in the bottom of a glass and 'savoured'. bugger that!

sparkle12mar08 Thu 04-Oct-12 09:00:23

We had champagne and a chinese takeaway after ds2 was born. He was born at home at 6.03 pm and by 8pm we had takeaway on the table ready to eat! Was bloody gorgeous!

LauraPalmerPlusOne Thu 04-Oct-12 09:19:24

envy @ sparkle's sneeze birth and post Chinese dinner

(mmmmm, now I want Chinese beef and noodles...)

plonko Thu 04-Oct-12 10:09:03

I'd like to order a sneeze birth followed by a glass of rioja and a rare steak sarnie please.

Cheeses, loads of different cheeses.

minipie Thu 04-Oct-12 11:19:14

Rare steak here. Possibly several.

And a very large gin and tonic (which I probably won't be allowed due to BFing sad)

HermioneE Thu 04-Oct-12 11:23:52

shit am I not supposed to be eating runny eggs? I thought it was just raw / rawish ones like in carbonara that were verboten?

Ah well. Bit late now.

G&T sounds good post-birth though. Or a martini. Or champagne. Or muscadet. By Feb I think I'll be ready to drink white spirit tbh...

ZuleikaD Thu 04-Oct-12 11:30:05

Why aren't you supposed to eat Chinese food?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now