Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

And the "morning sickness" begins

(10 Posts)
hopeful92 Wed 03-Oct-12 16:17:56

I am 7+1 today, last night I couldn't eat my tea and this morning I webt up to see my mum, got a whiff of hot milk naking porridge and had tp run upstairs to vom!! (sorry tmi). Now I can't seem to keep anything down, its frustrating as I am hungry. Any tips?

I had a HUGE appetite from 4 weeks til about 6+5 now I can't keep anything down!!

Also getting stomach cramps similar to period pains.

rainand Wed 03-Oct-12 16:23:00

This is exactly how I'm feeling and im also around 7. I don't know what to do - feel so sick but don't want to take off work sad

hopeful92 Wed 03-Oct-12 16:30:51

What makes is a million times worse is I work in Greggs and the smell of some of the foods make me sick!!

mummy2benji Wed 03-Oct-12 19:55:02

Oh dear, I can so empathise! I was exactly the same for the first trimester, felt nauseous all day till 5pm, then puked all evening. Everything set me off - the smell of coffee (had to ban hubby from drinking it as if he had a cup at work I could smell it on him!), deodorants, food cooking (a problem when having to make ds's supper every night), wiping ds's bottom...

I struggled to drink, but found a glass of water choc-full of ice cubes with a slice of lemon helped a lot - the ice and the citrus made it easier to sip. Sucking hard boiled sweets helped too - I bought lots of cola cubes off Amazon! Anti-sickness tablets didn't do anything for me, but in my experience as a GP when they are combined with acupuncture they are much more effective. Your GP might offer acupuncture, although most don't as it isn't NHS funded (I have a colleague who kindly does it just for pregnancy sickness), or else you could look up a private acupuncture clinic near you - I don't think it costs a lot but couldn't tell you exactly. x

DoodleAlley Wed 03-Oct-12 20:13:08

I'm at 12 weeks and I know it sounds crazy but I'd swear it's still getting worse. I can keep things from a very limited list of foods but I feel like I'm constantly just about to vomit and I retch loads. Sometimes I wish I could be sick to get temporary relief - not to belittle what you're going thru.

Just feel a bit alone atm. DH and DS are being lovely but there's not much they can do.

HaveALittleFaith Wed 03-Oct-12 20:20:22

I found Ice lollies created a window of opportunities to eat. They're seemed to go down more easily and sit on my stomach. You'll get rehydrated through them and then should be able to eat. If it continues and you honestly can't keep anything down, talk to your GP about medication to help. You can get into a vicious cycle getting dehydrated. It may be worth being checked for a UTI - my sickness got horrendous at 8 weeks. I ended up in A&E with kidney pain because I hadn't realised I had a UTI. Once the antibiotics kicked in and I forced more water down, the sickness eased off a bit.

DoodleAlley Wed 03-Oct-12 20:23:38

I keep things down so for me it's just a case of getting thru it.

hopeful92 Thu 04-Oct-12 08:30:09

Thanks for the advice ladies.

HaveALittleFaith definately nkt a UTI as I was treated for one just before I found out Im pg, I do get very frequent UTI's, have done my whole life so I definately know what to look for - they tend tp be very painful when I get them.

Ice lollies seem to be working nicely, and I managed to to keep down a "cup a soup" last night but it came back with avengance this morning sad ginger biscuits make me sick too. Absolutely dreading work on Saturday.

Dogsmom Thu 04-Oct-12 08:35:32

I HATED my first tri, felt sick 24 hours a day from week 5-15, it really got me down, I'm now almost 18 weeks and so glad to be past it.

There was nothing that got rid of it for me unfortunately but I ate little and often to minimise bloating and craved full fat coke and carbs, plain biscuits, bread & butter, chips etc (made me gain over a stone but hey ho.)

I'd say the only thing that eased it slightly was exercise, probably because it was a distraction but I felt a lot worse if I just lay on the settee so I used to get my coat on and walk the streets for an hour.

hopeful92 Thu 04-Oct-12 13:52:45

Ice lollies have been very helpful today. Just about managed to eat 3 "smiley faces" (you know the children's potato shapes!) and some hard boiled sweets. Oh had a couple of bites of a ginger biscuit.

Starting to feel rather dizzy from lack of food, gonna try some grapes in a bit, just cannot seem to face "wet" food, only dry foods such as dry potato shapes seem appealing right now! Dry chicken might do the trick...

Hope everyone's doing ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now