Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough jab

(323 Posts)
blonderthanred Fri 28-Sep-12 07:43:06

Anyone got any views on this?

I just read on the BBC website that due to the recent cases, pg women are all to be offered a whooping cough jab between 28-38 weeks, to take place at a routine antenatal appt.

I'm 34+3 so I guess they may offer it next week when I go in - it doesn't say whether there will be any notification or info sent, or if I will just be told/offered it on the day. What do people think about this issue, it seems a sudden decision which makes me nervous but I guess there will have been a longer thought process. Plenty of people have the flu jab when pg although I believe that only offers the mother protection, not the baby (?) so I don't know if there are any risks or even if it crosses the placenta.

I was born in '76 when there was a scare about the baby wh cough jab (recently proven false) so I didn't have it and then caught wh cough. I don't know if that will make any difference.

DonnaDoon Fri 28-Sep-12 11:50:11

October It really is a shower of shit when the press release stuff like this before the surgerys are informed isnt it?

I'll definitely be having it. Working where I do, I've seen too many babies this year hospitalised with whooping cough, and sadly one died. It's scary enough seeing any baby go blue and floppy, I'll take anything on offer to lessen the risk of having to witness that happen to my own sad.

HonorOakK Fri 28-Sep-12 11:56:17

I called my GP today and they were surprised I am asking about it. Receptionist did not hear the news. She thought I am talking about flu jab. They offered me a flu jab on my due date in November - the earliest possible date:-( I will ask my MW if I can get it any time earlier.
Have you been offered any vaccination by GP/MW?

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 28-Sep-12 12:01:39

yeah my gp isn't getting the flu jab in till end of next week, I'm booked in for sat which is their first flu jab clinic, but at the mo they don't even have any stock yet

re whooping cough I'm gonna wait till a few dozen other people have rung up and then ring them next week about it when they might have got the memo!

ShellyBobbs Fri 28-Sep-12 12:05:29

I know an email went out this morning to everyone, my mum works at a local surgery and phoned me as soon as she got in (at 10am) and an email was in her inbox already, but not sure when it went out and that's no good for community workers really!

Not been offered anything by anyone Honor, it's only because I spoke to the practice nurse this morning that she gave me the flu jab there and then, she did ask if my midwife had mentioned the flu vaccination and went hmm when I said no (I've seen about 5 different midwives in the last 2 weeks due to various things too).

Clarella Fri 28-Sep-12 12:06:51

Hi all, I honestly don't know if this will help or not but the health protection agency have been monitoring / publishing stats for a few months nd have lots of info. It explains immunity too which can wear off - a lot of us may have had it mildly as adults which topped up immunity however may not have known - horrid long term cough but not necessarily with a 'whoop'. Jab will help. I agree not great for those further along and I don't know what to advise, id probably still want it and make sure other children are up to date with their jabs. I expect they've been trying to get the vaccines in stock (would need to source/culture extra) before announcing.

After having gone through slapped cheek stuff non-immunity stuff this pregnancy I found that both the hpa and nhs websites as well as being in the know about sensible flu hygiene stuff etc helped as its notoriously hard to know which kids have that if you work closely with them. I hope it doesn't worry anyone more but might inform you to feel more confident about choices etc.

Clarella Fri 28-Sep-12 12:15:31

Sorry terrible baby brain grammar re stuffs above - it was essentially quite a confusing and anxious time, I'd advise trying to be careful with cough/flu hygiene and trying (says the one who went totally loopy!) not to worry too much until things are clarified about those over 38 wks.

DonnaDoon Fri 28-Sep-12 12:15:35

Hmmm Thanks for that Clarella but like you say for those of us at 35wks+ it is worrying and no one seems to know what to advise. If we dont recieve the jab in time it will be a rather worrying first 8 wks of babies life especially for those in high risk groups/and/or with other children who bring germs home from school etc.

DonnaDoon Fri 28-Sep-12 12:18:36

PS My other children were born at 35wks 37wks and 38 wks....eeeek

BouncyPenguin Fri 28-Sep-12 12:18:39

Pregnant ladies please go and have the jab. My son caught whooping cough at 3 weeks old. He had only been out to my Mum's, Tesco and IKEA! I had the whooping cough jab when I was young but the immunity must have worn off too much and was not passed on to him in the womb. That is why the booster jab is needed at this time for pregnant women during this epidemic. It was not clear what the cough was for the first 2 weeks we were told it was bronchiolitis and he gradually became seriously ill. It took 4 visits to the doctors and two hospital stays to get a correct diagnosis. By 5 weeks old he spent 4 days in hospital on oxygen and antibiotics. It's not just a bad sounding cough. My baby struggled to breathe both during and in between coughing fits. He had a bluish tinge to him as he was not getting enough oxygen. He vomited during or between every single feed and lost weight (not the weight they normally lose after birth, this was weight loss due to not being able to keep any milk down). The cough was painful and distressing for him and us. We were lucky that we finally got the diagnosis and hospital care he needed to get through the worst of it. He could have stopped breathing or developed pneumonia and died as others have. He is now 14 weeks old and still coughing. The Chinese call this the cough of 100 days. Well we're over 100 days now and still counting! He is a lot better now though and is a smiley happy boy. There are 10 mothers who have lost their babies to this just this year. Thousands of others who have had to watch their newborns suffer. Please get the jab if you can. I wish I had had the chance to avoid him suffering and nearly dying.

DonnaDoon Fri 28-Sep-12 12:22:00

BouncyPenguin sad Sending lots of love and wishes to your boy bless him.... Believe me Ill have the jab...I want it now !

whatsonyourplate Fri 28-Sep-12 12:23:17

I was at my hospital for a growth scan this morning, so I asked the midwife about it and she didn't know, went to check with her boss, she didn't know what was happening either, I've been advised to ask my GP. I'll be 38 weeks on Tuesday though so no idea if I'll get it in time.
Oh and I didn't have the jab as a child due to the scare at the time.

I think awareness will help. In March this year my oldest daughter (14) was slightly unwell, she seemed better but still had what seemed a minor cough when we went a few days later to see our new baby niece. Whooping cough never entered my mind. she wasn't even coughing badly at that point. a month later when she was still coughing in really severe spasms but ok in between times I read something on here about whooping cough. I took her to the GP who dismissed WC but did give her antibiotics. Gradually she improved but the cough certainly fitted the nickname for WC - the 100 day cough. Dd1 has been fully vaccinated and I don't know that she had WC but I strongly suspect it. Thankfully my niece was not affected. I feel absolutely sick when I think about how I may have unintentionally exposed her. I would not have taken a sick child to see her, I took a child who had been unwell the previous week and seemed recovered. Knowing what I know now about the WC outbreak I will be ultra-cautious about taking the dds to see any newborn babies. If you're having a baby this autumn I think you have to be very strict about visitors who aren't completely well. Thinking about my own experiences I would ask if anybody has a cough - and if they do don't let them in!

I also think it's scandalous that GP practices haven't been properly briefed in advance of the announcement.

Clarella Fri 28-Sep-12 12:30:16

So sorry to hear what you've been through bouncy, I hope your little one continues to get better and sending you hugs. I agree definately get jab. It's a worry what those outside the time limit do.

A few weeks ago I'm sure I blearily heard they were thinking of giving the jab to mum and possibly dad plus any other very close family when baby was born. But a vague report and I can't remember where that was. Imo that should be done for those who don't qualify for the jab but I imagine will be a stock issue? Shouldn't be.

OctoberOctober Fri 28-Sep-12 12:51:33

DonnaDoon - I couldn't have put it better myself!

Anyone looked at private options for getting the vaccination? We did this with DS's chicken pox jab and at 38 weeks I don't feel i've got time to waste for the surgery to get it's act together.

Goldrill Fri 28-Sep-12 13:09:48

October - I am. I'm 38+1 today and am really bloody annoyed that this is all over the press but neither GP surgery or MW knows anything about it. How on earth is it being "offerred from Monday"?!

My older daughter is at a busy nursery and catches everything going and I've already had a nasty run-in with hand, foot and mouth. I really don't want to take the risk with the new baby.

Hope your little boy continues to improve, bouncy.

MidLine Fri 28-Sep-12 13:19:43

Just called my GP and they are apparently getting the vaccine in on Tuesday so looks like the wheels are starting to get in motion. Might be a good idea to ring up and see if you can book an appt, mine have said I can come in on Friday. Best of luck everyone.

DebussyHead Fri 28-Sep-12 13:35:57

I also think its scandalous that both my GP and midwife team know nothing about it when the press are being fairly alarmist! Saying 'available from GP or Midwife' then both GP and Midwife tell me 'Not us, we aren't responsible for it' - shocking.

ShellyBobbs Fri 28-Sep-12 13:41:19

I'll be phoning up everyday next week if I don't hear back off them today and failing any outcome from that I'll start hounding my local PCT!

turnwest Fri 28-Sep-12 13:49:29

I ve just rang my surgery and was given an appointment straight away for next Thursday, I ll be nearly 39 weeks then though so I m not convinced it will be effective in protecting the baby but I m going to have it done anyway. Receptionist did nt ask any questions so hope she has nt just booked me in for flu vaccination.

elizaregina Fri 28-Sep-12 13:50:32

MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL INFORM THE BBC THAT DOCS HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THIS VACCINATION, AS WELL AS THE BODY WHO IS PROMOTING IT ON TV?

I saw this this morning as well. I'm already booked in for my flu jab, and when I phoned the doctor this morning, there has been no official line taken on it in my surgery, but I've to phone back next week. I'm 27 weeks today, so by the time it is rolled out, I'll be right in the middle of the time for getting it, which is excellent. Anything that can make babies safer is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned - and if they've been offering it for years in the most litigious society in the world (the States), without issue, then that's good enough for me.

Katienana Fri 28-Sep-12 13:51:45

I had my 40 wk check up this,morning and was told they are ordering the vaccine and if it's available and I'm still pregnant next week I can have it. I will be along anyone with a cough to stay away!

elizaregina Fri 28-Sep-12 13:54:00

020 7210 4850 is the number for dept of health

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now