Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Copper Coil fitted 4 years ago - regular periods (5 week cycle) - suddenly late and early pregnancy symptoms

(18 Posts)
stressyconfusy Sun 09-Sep-12 14:14:40

Hi all.

I really need some advice. I'm going a bit mad at the minute (no make that a bit more mad than normal!!). I had my copper coil fitted just about 4 and a quarter years ago. I have had random cycles for years before, tried nearly every pill or injection but always ended up bleeding nearly through the month. I stopped taking contraceptives about 7 years before I had the coil fitted. During those 7 years my periods finally settled. Having the coil fitted made no difference to this. 5 week cycles have been the norm for all that time. Last year I got pregnant but did not get to the doctors until after I lost the baby at 2 to 4 weeks (depending on who's calculation you believe - I counted 4 and a half). Apologies if that sounded odd. I really did not think it was real to start and then it was over just as I came to terms with it. It really knocked me for 6.
Now I am late after a very mild period last month. And lots of extra responsibilities at work (over the last 4 weeks). So as my partner pointed out I'm stressed, getting older (I'm 38) and it could just be that I'll have my period next month... (I know he would love for me to be pregnant but as it hit me so bad losing the baby last year - unplanned as it was and is - he does not want me to go through that again.)
We are not planning or try for a baby (hence the coil still in place), but would be over the moon if it happened none the less. (it is not financially convenient as a high factor, and being older parents worry us)
So now you have a picture about me, here are the symptoms that makes me think I may be pregnant:
* mild spotting for two days
* stiffness in my lower back
* feeling like I'm pregnant (make that believing that I'm pregnant)
* really severe fatigue (so bad that after a long night's sleep getting up was terribly difficult)
* slight short dizzy spells while sitting down (like being in an elevator going down suddenly)
* clear odourless watery discharge (so bad that I nearly have to run to the loo to stop my knickers from being soaked and then it just flows out of me - yes sorry bit to graphic...)
* feeling "ful" and a bit crampy... (worried as that is today)

So yes my symptoms could be anything even my period due to start I guess on some scores, and the fact that I have been stressed and really want to be pregnant (but then even more worried because I still have the coil fitted).

Can someone please advise me if they have gone through a similiar situation, and what to expect? I have ordered some early pregnancy test strips which I'll try on Thursday (a week late at least by then).

sundaesundae Sun 09-Sep-12 14:18:48

Having a coil in situ makes it more likely to have an ectopic pregnancy. Test ASAP and if positive go to your GP to discuss, they will probably scan you early, they did with me.

My coil could not be removed and I was advised to terminate, which I did. They pressed upon me the importance to get to a doctor if it happened again, but I chose to discontinue the coil as I was told if I had fallen pregnant on it once it was likely to happen again.

I thought they were supposed to be changed after 4 years, or has that changed?

stressyconfusy Sun 09-Sep-12 14:48:18

Hi,

Thank you sundaesundae... I asked after my miscarriage last year and was told (even though my paperwork says 5 years) that the coil is good for 10 years and they would not change it yet.

I am really scared about the ectopic pregnancy risk... hence getting the test ordered last night at 2 in the morning.

I hope this does not sound wrong.. I just really hope I can get through this and have a healthy baby in my arms at the end of it this time.

Thank you for your shared experience. I will get to the doctors as soon as I at least tested once. I think they have more important things to deal with than non-pregnant women freaking out for no reason. And considering the attitude I got (not sympathetic at all) last year I really dread going to the doctors, but I take on board what you are saying. I do not want to risk my health.

sundaesundae Sun 09-Sep-12 14:54:02

I am sure everything will be fine one way or the other. When i got preggers on the coil I waited two weeks before testing as I just couldn't believe I could be pregnant, I had no idea about the ectopic risk until we went to the Gp the following Monday.

FX for the outcome you want x

stressyconfusy Sun 09-Sep-12 14:57:50

Thank you so much. smile

CityDweller Sun 09-Sep-12 15:02:34

Copper coil is good for ten years. I kept mine in for just over 11, out of stupidity and laziness, without issue.

Stressy don't worry about bothering the doctors. That's what they're there for. As the chances of ectopic and other major issues exist with getting pregnant on the coil, I would go as soon as you can. Can you make an apt tomorrow for Thurs (after you've done your hpt, in case it is positive), that way you can get in as soon as you know.

I know you say you aren't trying for a baby, but the fact that you hope you can 'get through this and have a healthy baby' does seem to indicate that you do want to get pregnant, you also say you and your partner would be overjoyed if you were. Perhaps it might be a safer option to switch from coil to diaphragm? That's what I did a year ago, safe in the knowledge that if there was an 'accident' we were prepared to have the baby. (As it was, there were no accidents, and I stopped using diaphragm earlier this year and got pg within two months). The dangers involved with an accidental pg on the coil are great, for both you and baby.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok for you.

stressyconfusy Sun 09-Sep-12 15:16:08

Thank you, CityDweller. I will follow your advice on making the doctors appointment tomorrow for Thursday. It sounds like a very good move if it is positive.

I have discussed getting rid of the coil with my partner but we both felt that was best (yes really I did believe it) to leave it be. But even if this goes wrong and i am pregnant and don't manage to keep the baby (I feel I have to see that as a possibility as sad as it is), I think you are right. If I got pregnant twice with the coil fitted, then I need to change the contraceptive method I use.

Flojo1979 Sun 09-Sep-12 15:21:29

Why wait? Get yourself to Tesco now n pee on a stick. I don't get why u haven't done that yet?

SparklyGothKat Sun 09-Sep-12 15:25:17

I would test ASAP as the chance of etopic pregnancies with a coil is very high.

stressyconfusy Sun 09-Sep-12 15:25:23

Good question... I'm being silly... I have a scooter as my only mode of transport and until I know for sure I am trying to limit the external risks... yes I know the internal one are higher... like i say I'm being very silly.

SaraBellumHertz Sun 09-Sep-12 15:29:51

Agree with flo - I really don't understand these threads: just buy a test and put yourself out of your misery confused

stressyconfusy Sun 09-Sep-12 15:34:21

Yes, it is hard to explain. What I am hoping is that someone who actually got pregnant with a copper coil fitted, can tell me what they went through and whether they carried the baby with the coil in or had the coil out... I am pretty sure I am pregnant so the test is really just to confirm that, but I want to know what my options are and how others got on to see what to expect.

sundaesundae Sun 09-Sep-12 15:40:32

I was told that coil had to come out due to location of coil and where the implantation was, but due to lost strings they couldn't so told me to terminate.

That was just the advice I received three years ago, I think there are lots of variables and depends on your consultant / epu / midwife as to what advice they give.

stressyconfusy Sun 09-Sep-12 15:51:31

I must say from what I have been reading in the last few days.. Since I told my partner there is a chance that I'm late again (I did not want him to worry to much), I've decided to make sure of the risks and facts before telling him and my family that I believe I'm pregnant again. But it does seem that I need to make sure as soon as I can and see the doctor to get the low down on what they think I should do.

Thank you to all who have responded so far. smile

SoYo Sun 09-Sep-12 16:07:23

Hi stressyconfusy, you really need to do a test ASAP as you could be anything up to 9 weeks already (your last period wasn't normal for you) & if it's positive you need to ring and speak to your GP tomorrow and they'll refer you to your local early pregnancy unit (all the ones I've worked in will scan you within 48-72hrs of referral). Outcome as mentioned by sundaesundae depends on the location of the coil & the location of implantation. It's generally advised to remove the coil before 12-15 weeks because although this increases mc risk, the risks of leaving it in are higher, but I've seen successful pregnancies (& unfortunately unsuccessful) with both. Good luck and go get a test! You're just increasing your risks by delaying & the risks of using your scooter are minimal! Hope this helps.

Wheels79 Sun 09-Sep-12 17:55:07

Hi. I'm currently 18+2 having had conceived despiye a copper coil. I found out after 5+5 after linking being a bit late with sore boobs. Just used a normal pregnancy test from pharmacy (thought it was unlikely so went for their own brand). Went to clinic first thing next day after some googling. They said they'd remove if easy to and it was (pregnancy had pushed it down). There was then an initial risk of miscarraige but all good. Now have ordinary risk. Since then normal pregnancy. :-)

Obviously not planned (were looking to leave it another year) but feels like fate and we are happy it's happened.

SoHHKB Mon 10-Sep-12 10:38:17

Same as Wheels but am 22 weeks now. Getting more excited now I'm over the initial massive shock. Glad coil was removed - felt before like my body was trying to push it out. Good luck smile

doodles92 Tue 24-May-16 16:47:30

Hi, I know this was a while ago but I am going through something similar. For 4 years I have been regular with the coil. I am now over a week late and the only symptom I have that I may come on is light pressure / cramps for days now but no sign it's arriving anytime soon.

I have done a home test that says negative. I am only 23 am I'm now worried my hormones might be iffy if I've not had a period. My coil is due a change next year.

Please can I have some advice? sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now