Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any pregnant Type 1 diabetics?

(1000 Posts)
dieciocho Thu 06-Sep-12 07:44:33

Hi,
I'm looking for other pregnant Type 1 diabetics in London, just to have someone to keep in contact with and share advice/horror stories/support each other etc.
I don't actually know anyone at all with Type 1, despite having had it myself since 1989

I gave in. Anyone know how long after my last steroid injection it will stop effecting my sugar levels? I want it off before labour

Also I have ++ ketones but my levels have been almost perfect one nine and two eights.

Spotty from memory I think the effect lasted for a few days sad hope you get some rest now x

Mylittlepuds Sat 24-Nov-12 08:21:01

Hi Spotty have you had less carbs than usual? I always get ketones if I have less. Hope you're doing okay!

No not really the food is pretty dire though!

Mylittlepuds Sat 24-Nov-12 22:41:57

It's shocking isn't it - so much for 'let food be thy medicine'. No chance of that in an NHS hospital!

How are you getting on?! I'm very excited for this thread's very first baby!

I hope someone is bringing you packed breakfast/lunch/dinner onto the ward grin DH did that for me after I had DS, thanks entirely to hospital policy of providing one cup of soup and one pack of sandwiches at 5pm, then nothing else till 7am breakfast. Good diet for a breastfeeding mother, then...

Hope all's going well and the steroids aren't giving you too many problems?

Had last lot of steroids at half five luckily! I'm not so much on a sliding scale as its just insulin and they only put it on for an hour if I go over 8.1 so it hasn't been too bad. Yeah food is rank but we live 40 minutes from the hospital and have dd to think of too so I have to like it or lump it! Pessary going in tomorrow morning hopefully. I hope it doesn't take too long I already feel like I've been here forever!

Levels have been under six for the past six hours so haven't been on the sliding scale grin all my own work wink

Mylittlepuds Sun 25-Nov-12 07:36:13

Good lass.

dieciocho Sun 25-Nov-12 07:39:41

Well done Spotty, here goes then...

Mylittlepuds Sun 25-Nov-12 18:19:45

I don't expect Spotty to answer but hope she's okay!

Just wondered if any of you lot had had flu jab? I did and am
so annoyed with myself. It's messed up my levels when I was doing really well. Two 15 readings today despite very little carbs and a long walk hangs head in despair

Nothing to report here nothing happening sad I have flu jab every year not had any problems with it?

Mylittlepuds Sun 25-Nov-12 19:41:04

About five days after I get the jab I get ridiculous readings. Like ridiculous ones. Obviously with being pregnant this time though it's more upsetting. Argghhhh! Wish I'd have just left it.

How are you Spotty? What's the plan at the mo?

Well the pessary has to be in for 24 hours. Getting some cramps etc but they're so busy they're diverting people away so just got to sit tight!

Mylittlepuds Sun 25-Nov-12 20:10:39

Good sign you're getting cramps. Eeek!

dieciocho Sun 25-Nov-12 20:19:06

Yes, I've had the 'flu jab every year for the last 12 or so. I've never had a problem with it.

Great news about the cramps Spotty, I've been thinking about you all day.

Mylittlepuds Sun 25-Nov-12 20:40:52

I think it's the H1N1 bit of it that affects me. I've had a quick scout about online and t1s are saying same as you guys - flu jab doesn't affect them but quite a few saying H1N1 does.

BonaDea Mon 26-Nov-12 10:43:10

spotty - any news today? AM SO EXCITED about our first little bundle of joy arriving any time now! grin

I am fuming over that stupid doctor's comments to you about split levels. What a moron. The thing is I only think of suitably cutting comments about three hours later. I once sent a diabetic consultant a three page email demanding an apology when he suggested I see a shrink about being 'too uptight' about my diabetes when I had despaired of being unable to get fasting levels below 8. That's right, doc, a patient comes to you with very good hba1c and asks for help in sorting out the one area she struggles with and you make her cry and suggest the problem was all in her head. This was about 3 years ago now. He had me in tears and everything. The email was a cracker and he quite literally grovelled an apology.

I've had flu jab and didn't notice any adverse effect I have to say. I'm also going to make sure I get the whooping cough jab. Has anyone else had that yet?

I'm finally, FINALLY starting to feel my wriggler a lot of the time. I have an anterior placenta, so the wait for it to start has felt interminable, even though every scan and doppler has revealed a very lively baby! Am so chuffed and now can't wait for DH to be able to feel from the outside.

Mylittlepuds Mon 26-Nov-12 11:05:19

Bona - I think it's shocking too. Surely splitting your long acting is a sign that you want even tighter control of your levels, with a deeper understanding ability how and why it works? That's what I would think?

It sounds to me he's said something to say something. He needn't have said anything at all. He really doesn't sound like he has a clue. Your HBA1C okay? In their minds at least that's their key indicator of how you're doing, as that's what's in their guidelines (even though we know different). Nothing else has ever been looked at as to having an affect on the baby.

I'm 18 weeks now and I've finally started to feel the baby too (anterior placenta here too). I love feeling the baby move but when I don't feel it for a day or two I worry!

Honestly Bona I'd just put it down to him being an imbecile.

dieciocho Mon 26-Nov-12 12:22:44

Yes Bona, I've had the whooping cough jab - no problems. Just a very sore shoulder!

It always takes me hours to think of suitably cutting replies to such insults/ignorance/stupidity - in every situation.

I've got an anterior placenta too and only started feeling movements at 19 weeks. These days (30 weeks) I do feel around 10 movements in 12 hours, but I still worry that I haven't felt enough and have to assume that a lot of the movements are being muffled by my placenta.

How long do you think Spotty will take? Do you think we'll hear any news today?
Puds? Rue? You two've done this before!

Mylittlepuds Mon 26-Nov-12 12:30:49

It took me from about 3pm I'm the afternoon until 10.50pm the following day until DS arrived. But recently it took a fellow T1 I know four days to be induced at 38 weeks!!! She end up with a c section after all that too.

Mylittlepuds Mon 26-Nov-12 12:32:31

Ps my sugars are still running ridiculously high and I'm not sure what to do. I'm taking correction doses to try and stay under 10 but that's all I'm managing at the moment. Any advice? I contacted my nurse and she's just said we all have the occasional high but this isn't occasional...it's more than 24 hours now. No ketones.

dieciocho Mon 26-Nov-12 12:43:09

Keep checking the ketones (I was told to do that after two consecutive readings of more than 12mmol).
Don't adjust by too much; you don't want to plummet - every hour, I'd do it by 2u, then 2u, then 2u...obv. checking your blood as you go.
You could be at the point where your insulin requirements double/triple/quadruple, couldn't you?
How about doing some exercise?

Mylittlepuds Mon 26-Nov-12 13:00:20

Hi Diec. Yes I was thinking that - I'm 18 and a half weeks and been on the same intake now for the pregnancy (except in the early days) so maybe it's just time to ramp it up a bit. I suppose I'll have to ride the poorliness out and see if the increased requirement sticks or not. Will keep checking for ketones.

Isn't it so annoying when you're trundling along, quite happy with how you're doing and then WHAM it's all change again. So frustrating! And now I want the baby to move again...as it hasn't for a while. Oh God remind me to not get pregnant again will you?! Seriously though, I love being pregnant but without the diabetes it really would just be a joy thinks jealously of non diabetic pregnant women.

This thread is not accepting new messages.