Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else got gestational diabetes? Top tips welcome!

(357 Posts)
Angelico Sun 02-Sep-12 18:09:44

Hello all <waves>

Currently 35+2, got diagnosed with GD a couple of weeks ago after repeat GTT ('passed' the one at 25 weeks for raised BMI, seems to have come on around the 30 week mark). Got finger pricker etc last week so 6 days in to blood testing and aiming to control with diet only as due for CS at 38+4.

Have't seen dietician yet and struggling to find conclusive info online. Certain foods (pure orange juice, sweet stuff - even a couple of bites! - mashed potato) seem to send blood sugar high (highest reading ever today 9.3 after mash and literally 2 bites of DH's banoffee! confused). I was wondering what other people have found useful foodwise? Any good suggestions for meals?

A typical 'good day' for me (ie super low blood sugars)...

Breakfast:
Slice of brown toast with either cheese and beans or scrambled egg. No orange juice.

Snack (11am or 4pm depending on what I'm doing):
2-3 oatcakes with cheese / hummus

Lunch:
Bowl of leftover dinner from night before (see below) or homemade lentil and tomato soup with cheese and ryebread.

Dinner:
Steak stir fry with noodles, spag bol with wholewheat spaghetti, stuffed chicken with roasties and veg, oven cod in batter with oven chips and plenty of veg.

I would love to hear some other good suggestions for meals or any warnings about particular foods. Or if you just want somewhere to vent feel free to jump on board smile thanks

LucyInkster Fri 14-Jun-13 10:59:41

Hi everyone,

Living with gestational diabetes can be difficult – why nottalk to someone who has been there themselves, and is trained to give support?

If you would like to talk to someone who knows first-hand what it’s like to live with diabetes, Diabetes UK's volunteers are here to help. You can reach them by phone at the times given below, or by email.

Feeling like no-one understands what you’re going through can be tough. Our volunteers have all been affected by diabetes and have experience of living with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, or caring for a child with Type 1. So whatever is on your mind, there’s a good chance one of our peers has been through the same thing.

Get in touch
You can get in touch by calling 0843 353 8600 during opening hours, or view our peer profiles to contact a peer by email.

Opening hours
Sunday to Friday, 6pm to 9pm

Send an email at any time of day and you will get a reply during the opening hours above.

Fall details can be found here: www.diabetes.org.uk/peer-support

elub Fri 26-Apr-13 22:34:50

hi guys, been 2 days since i was confirmed gd, i'm confused! my morning reading was 6.6, do i eat a bdtime snack or not? i didnt have one last night.my bloods are in limit during the day just the fasting one is being a bugger;/

Mkmamma Thu 21-Mar-13 22:08:51

Sorry you're down dolce. How far along into your preg were you diagnosed? I was diagnosed v early (18wks) and have been diet controlling since (now 27 weeks). I have had a few highs but have been told I should go back if I get three highs in a weekend go on metformin. Also depends what my growth scans say.

My friend was in metformin and she was ok. Baby healthy too so not be all end all. Do you have to diet control on top if metformin?

Queen: what is that exactly?

QueenOfCats Wed 20-Mar-13 23:13:05

Just stopping by to remind all of you ladies to be sure that you have your diabetic retinopathy screening every 3 months smile

dolcedeleite Wed 20-Mar-13 23:09:12

Hi All,

More than a bit depressed. Was told a month ago that I have GD and since this have kept my bloods bar one exception below 5.8 before meals and below 7.8 1 hour after. However today I was told that baby is still growing too quick and I need to go on metformin regardless.

Really disappointed as I thought I was doing well! Very depressed about the whole thing.

Can anyone give me any feedback on how they've found the metformin?

dolcedeleite

Mkmamma Wed 13-Mar-13 17:48:49

Hi stiffy. Those are great numbers! Post meals I'm in the 6s if I'm lucky but today I got 8.9 after a massive salad that had pasta in. Knew the guy who spooned stuff in for me was too generous. Oh well.

I'm diet controlled too and have been advised that I need to return if I get three highs in a week. I got diagnosed early too at 17 weeks. Initially I got lower numbers but I felt I wasn't full and we are told never to go hungry.

What kinda meals are you going for?

StiffyByng Thu 07-Mar-13 21:51:41

Hi. Having been diagnosed with high blood sugar (really gestational diabetes but I'm refusing to use the term!) three weeks ago, I wondered if anyone else was in the same boat. This thread seems to have been so useful and it would be great to have something similar now.

I am 31 weeks tomorrow. My blood sugars after meals are mostly in the 5s, as long as I keep carbs to the minimum, but my fasting blood is hovering between 5.2 to 5.5 which makes me nervous. Any tips on reducing them welcome.

I am desperate to stay off insulin as I've been told I can still have a home birth if I'm diet-controlled. (#2 baby, #1 was born at home after a straightforward pregnancy.) I know this may not be possible, and my hospital has a lower threshold for insulin use than most with 80% of its patients using it.

Midori1999 Mon 18-Feb-13 13:54:42

I am just popping in, although not diagnosed with GD yet this pregnancy (only 6 weeks). I had GD last pregnanct though and have taken a couple fo fasting readings in the last week and they were 6.9 and 7.5, so I think I'll probably get diagnosed again this pregnancy too. I have my first midwife appointment at 8 weeks, so will discuss with her then.

veggie77 Mon 18-Feb-13 12:50:53

Hi, sorry to hear you're recently diagnosed too :-( not many people appreciate what it feels like to hear that news, so I'm pleased there is a bit of a forum on here of other pregnant ladies all going through the same thing.

Some things I've noticed that work well for me are:

1. Swimming - 30 mins in a pool, drastically lowers my readings for the rest of the day and the whole of the next day. I can actually eat a little bit more and generally feel better in myself afterwards for a day or so. Whereas, if I do 30 mins of walking, then it doesn't give the same results. I need to walk for more like an hour at least, and I can't keep it up that long now!
2. Bergen bread - can 'get away' with a sandwich made with 2 slices of that bread as it's only 12g carbs per slice, but ordinary granary can be 17g carbs, so I stick to that bread now and don't buy anything else.
3. Olives, almonds/packets of nuts, and babybel cheese make good snacks that are portable.
4. "Nak'd" dried fruit bars are my saviour! You can get them in Sainsburys, Tescos and health food shops in the cereal bar aisle. They cost about £2.30 for 4 or 5 bars and the cocoa and mint or cocoa and orange flavour ones taste just like a chocolate bar, if you close your eyes! They're only made from dried fruit and nuts, [no added sugar!] so you get a sweet hit without the sugar rush of normal dried fruit, cos the protein in the nuts slows down the release of sugar into the blood. I checked they were ok with my dietician and she said they were fine. So they're 17g carbs per bar, and I have one as a snack - really easy to carry in your bag between meals.
5. A slice of Bergen toast for breakfast with either peanut butter or an egg, for protein , gives me a lower reading than just the toast alone.
6. Be wary of eating fruit with a meal. I can't seem to manage to get a reading under 7.5 if I have any fruit with my lunch or dinner. I can only get away with eating fruit if I have it as a snack :-(
7. Nairns do flavoured oatcakes, if you're getting bored of the plain ones. The cheese flavour ones are a bit like mini-cheddars and there's some amazing choc-chip or spiced fruit flavoured ones too - which I have one or two of at night and they're a bit like having a biscuit with my cup of tea.
8. Diet lemonade or diet cream soda as a drink - for any sweet tooth cravings, but no sugar involved.
9. Have salad with lunch or dinner - it fills you up more than just a sandwich or a meal with rice/pasta. You really feel like you've eaten quite a lot by the time you've eaten a bowl of salad on the side, with everything else.

Hope that helps!

Angelico Sun 17-Feb-13 12:09:24

Good snacks for me were things like rough oatcakes with a bit of cheese or peanut butter or a handful of nuts - basically it's best to always eat some protein and / or fat with your carbs to slow down the sugar absorption.

mamma I'm not a doctor or nurse so am reluctant to give advice. You are very early on in your pregnancy still (in GD terms) so it would be good if you could get some advice from someone qualified. I know because my GD came on late-ish it was easier to manage with diet alone.

When I started getting ketones / losing more weight / being starving (when eating exactly what had filled me a couple of weeks earlier) the endocrinologist said to eat more carbs if I needed to as I'd already tried more protein. I only had about a week to go at this stage and she said if I'd had longer she would have put me on insulin so I could eat more as they don't want you hungry - but equally in the last couple of weeks they want your bloods really stable to avoid complications with baby after birth. So unfortunately there is a bit of trial and error. The danger with just upping your carbs is that a) you'll put your readings up and b) as pregnancy progresses and you get more insulin resistant you might have to reduce carbs to unsustainable level. You could try upping your protein first, then if necessary upping your carbs a little but if they give you high readings you would prob be best to go back to endocrinologist and discuss your options.

CheapTarnishedGlitter Sun 17-Feb-13 09:41:28

I've not had any ketones so far but am only 32 weeks and 4 weeks since diagnosis so there's time for that to change! I do snack between meals with some carbs - a reduced sugar Rusk (!) to dunk in my coffee in the morning and a digestive and mini babybel in the afternoon - which I think helps keep things ticking over...

Mkmamma Sun 17-Feb-13 07:15:47

Thank you Angelico! I am really early on still, 22 weeks. I was diagnosed at 17 weeks. My levels have been pretty good so maybe I need more carbs. It's so hard to find the right balance. I'm thinking I might eat lunch and if readings good, I will have a small sandwich a couple of hrs later as I do get hungry betw lunch and dinner as my commute home is quite long. That said I prob haven't been drinking enough the past few days. Must do better!

Angelico Sat 16-Feb-13 23:38:18

Should have said I got ketones at times last week or two. Be aware though that ketones can also be caused by dehydration. Make sure you are drinking enough and if you still get them and you're losing weight then you need to speak to someone about upping carbs, even if that means you need some insulin.

The one up side was that when DD was born I weighed less than I did pre-pregnancy and have lost more with BFing! smile

Angelico Sat 16-Feb-13 23:36:37

Mamma I had ketones pre-diagnosis (off the chart), thenless so once managing with diet. BUT in the last week or two I was starving at times and it was quite tricky because I basically needed more carbs - but not too many or it would send bloods high. You also get more insulin resistant the further on you go in pregnancy. How many weeks pregnant are you now? Because I developed it relatively late I was able to control with diet but if it had come on earlier I really am not sure I could have eaten enough carbs to cope with hunger and probably would have needed insulin.

Mkmamma Sat 16-Feb-13 23:15:15

Hi ladies,

I wanted to ask whether any of you on diet controlled gestational diabetes had ketones in your urine? What did you do as a result?

Mkmamma Fri 15-Feb-13 20:54:59

Hey ladies, thanks for the encouragement.

Mintie, I didn't have the GTT so can't answer. But no news is good news I say! Try calling to find out. Why were you referred for GTT?

Heya cheap tarnishedglitter! Good to gear curries are working well for you too! I also found home made chicken fajitas (not with jar sauce and own salsa) gave great readings. Battered fish for me was a mega no no sadly. Roast dinners were good as long as I only had a couple of potatoes.

CheapTarnishedGlitter Fri 15-Feb-13 19:59:03

angelico I've got the prescription but none of the pharmacies in my town or the next have any in to give me. It's a real pain in the bum - I want to keep tabs on my sugar but it feels like I've been given duff equipment!

Angelico Fri 15-Feb-13 18:39:07

Glitter can't you just go to your GP and request your lancets etc as a prescription? That's how I got mine and the little test sticks too.

Mintie I got my results on the same day. First time I phoned in the afternoon - I 'passed' my routine GTT (due to raised BMI) at 25 weeks. However I then ate all sorts of shite, especially as we were in the final stages of renovating a house and moving. My GD seemed to kick in around the 30-31 week mark and was diagnosed at around 33 weeks. So not sure why you are being tested but don't assume because you pass the GTT you are automatically in the clear.

CheapTarnishedGlitter Fri 15-Feb-13 17:31:47

Hi Mintie I was just told to phone the aau the next day for the results - sorry that's not very helpful!

Mintie190 Fri 15-Feb-13 11:03:06

Hello, can I ask a question to those of you who have been diagnosed with GD? How long did it take to get the results of your GTT?

I had my GTT at UCH last Thursday and haven't heard anything. They said the results would be posted to me and I had to write my name on an envelope at the end of the test (by that stage I was feeling very spaced out and wonder if I put my correct address down...). I could just call them but to get test results you have to email and wait 2 days for a reply and I don't have my hospital number with me anyway.

Every time I go to put something sweet in my mouth, my DH says 'Should you be eating that?'. I know I could just go low sugar now but have had an awful week for non-pregnancy reasons and don't really want to give up my ice cream just yet if I don't have to.

CheapTarnishedGlitter Fri 15-Feb-13 08:19:37

Hi Mamma - great reading. I'm finding curries particularly good too - I'm veggy so we use paneer for protein and then stuff as many vegetables as possible in the sauce so we never feel hungry or cheated!

I have had a few days of not testing though which feels pretty wierd. Ended up phoning the lancet manufacturers directly last Friday and they said they'd post about 240 out to me... They didn't arrive 'til yesterday though so I ran out on Tuesday - note to self, phone much much earlier. Especially as they only sent 48 in the end hmm At not quite 32 weeks yet I certainly hope I've got longer than 12 days to go...!

Angelico Thu 14-Feb-13 22:03:51

Hey Mamma smile Sounds lovely - and sounds like you are managing the GD really well. Good luck! smile

Mkmamma Thu 14-Feb-13 21:49:57

Hi Angelico! Happy to hear your readings ok!

Hello everybody! I'm the one who started a new thread then Angelico linked me to this fabulous thread!

Hoping other pregnant ladies will chime in.

I made a home made beef gosht, daal and brown basmati rice today for valentines day. Got a 6.0 reading one hr later. And I was stuffed! Woop!

Angelico Sat 09-Feb-13 19:12:01

Hey guys! I linked to this thread for someone who had started a new GD thread. Have just read through it all and just want to send you all a big unmumsnetty hug for being so brilliant smile It makes me feel all warm inside how we all looked out for each other. And happy sorry I missed your happy new year! Can I say happy new year now?! smile

GTT was clear at 6 weeks so have to repeat annually. I am a bit disgusted at my diet which has gone very carb heavy again sad Just never seem to have time for the cooking in the morning thing which was so essential with GD - but now she has outgrown the colic I am definitely going to start eating more pulses again.

I hope you are all well. Our bean is nearly 20 weeks now - hard to believe! We had a couple of dodgy weeks of sleep regression but all returned to normal thankfully.

Anyway sending you all some love! x (And some wine and biscuit now we can have them again... grin)

happynappies Mon 31-Dec-12 22:07:00

Just wondering how everyone is doing? My sis week test was ok, and despite good intentions still eating rubbish but going to try harder in the New Year! Hope babies are all doing well and you're getting some sleep. Happy new year all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now