Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Anyone else got gestational diabetes? Top tips welcome!

(357 Posts)
Angelico Sun 02-Sep-12 18:09:44

Hello all <waves>

Currently 35+2, got diagnosed with GD a couple of weeks ago after repeat GTT ('passed' the one at 25 weeks for raised BMI, seems to have come on around the 30 week mark). Got finger pricker etc last week so 6 days in to blood testing and aiming to control with diet only as due for CS at 38+4.

Have't seen dietician yet and struggling to find conclusive info online. Certain foods (pure orange juice, sweet stuff - even a couple of bites! - mashed potato) seem to send blood sugar high (highest reading ever today 9.3 after mash and literally 2 bites of DH's banoffee! confused). I was wondering what other people have found useful foodwise? Any good suggestions for meals?

A typical 'good day' for me (ie super low blood sugars)...

Breakfast:
Slice of brown toast with either cheese and beans or scrambled egg. No orange juice.

Snack (11am or 4pm depending on what I'm doing):
2-3 oatcakes with cheese / hummus

Lunch:
Bowl of leftover dinner from night before (see below) or homemade lentil and tomato soup with cheese and ryebread.

Dinner:
Steak stir fry with noodles, spag bol with wholewheat spaghetti, stuffed chicken with roasties and veg, oven cod in batter with oven chips and plenty of veg.

I would love to hear some other good suggestions for meals or any warnings about particular foods. Or if you just want somewhere to vent feel free to jump on board smile thanks

StiffyByng Thu 07-Mar-13 21:51:41

Hi. Having been diagnosed with high blood sugar (really gestational diabetes but I'm refusing to use the term!) three weeks ago, I wondered if anyone else was in the same boat. This thread seems to have been so useful and it would be great to have something similar now.

I am 31 weeks tomorrow. My blood sugars after meals are mostly in the 5s, as long as I keep carbs to the minimum, but my fasting blood is hovering between 5.2 to 5.5 which makes me nervous. Any tips on reducing them welcome.

I am desperate to stay off insulin as I've been told I can still have a home birth if I'm diet-controlled. (#2 baby, #1 was born at home after a straightforward pregnancy.) I know this may not be possible, and my hospital has a lower threshold for insulin use than most with 80% of its patients using it.

Mkmamma Wed 13-Mar-13 17:48:49

Hi stiffy. Those are great numbers! Post meals I'm in the 6s if I'm lucky but today I got 8.9 after a massive salad that had pasta in. Knew the guy who spooned stuff in for me was too generous. Oh well.

I'm diet controlled too and have been advised that I need to return if I get three highs in a week. I got diagnosed early too at 17 weeks. Initially I got lower numbers but I felt I wasn't full and we are told never to go hungry.

What kinda meals are you going for?

dolcedeleite Wed 20-Mar-13 23:09:12

Hi All,

More than a bit depressed. Was told a month ago that I have GD and since this have kept my bloods bar one exception below 5.8 before meals and below 7.8 1 hour after. However today I was told that baby is still growing too quick and I need to go on metformin regardless.

Really disappointed as I thought I was doing well! Very depressed about the whole thing.

Can anyone give me any feedback on how they've found the metformin?

dolcedeleite

QueenOfCats Wed 20-Mar-13 23:13:05

Just stopping by to remind all of you ladies to be sure that you have your diabetic retinopathy screening every 3 months smile

Mkmamma Thu 21-Mar-13 22:08:51

Sorry you're down dolce. How far along into your preg were you diagnosed? I was diagnosed v early (18wks) and have been diet controlling since (now 27 weeks). I have had a few highs but have been told I should go back if I get three highs in a weekend go on metformin. Also depends what my growth scans say.

My friend was in metformin and she was ok. Baby healthy too so not be all end all. Do you have to diet control on top if metformin?

Queen: what is that exactly?

elub Fri 26-Apr-13 22:34:50

hi guys, been 2 days since i was confirmed gd, i'm confused! my morning reading was 6.6, do i eat a bdtime snack or not? i didnt have one last night.my bloods are in limit during the day just the fasting one is being a bugger;/

LucyInkster Fri 14-Jun-13 10:59:41

Hi everyone,

Living with gestational diabetes can be difficult – why nottalk to someone who has been there themselves, and is trained to give support?

If you would like to talk to someone who knows first-hand what it’s like to live with diabetes, Diabetes UK's volunteers are here to help. You can reach them by phone at the times given below, or by email.

Feeling like no-one understands what you’re going through can be tough. Our volunteers have all been affected by diabetes and have experience of living with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, or caring for a child with Type 1. So whatever is on your mind, there’s a good chance one of our peers has been through the same thing.

Get in touch
You can get in touch by calling 0843 353 8600 during opening hours, or view our peer profiles to contact a peer by email.

Opening hours
Sunday to Friday, 6pm to 9pm

Send an email at any time of day and you will get a reply during the opening hours above.

Fall details can be found here: www.diabetes.org.uk/peer-support

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now