Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Period like cramps at 31 weeks- normal?

(8 Posts)
Lizzietow Fri 10-Aug-12 09:22:08

Hi-I started having period like cramps this morning. Not enough to warrant paracetamol but still I've not had them since I was about 20 weeks and it was put down to stretching pains. Probably the same but as I'm further on just thought I'd ask on here x

Spice17 Fri 10-Aug-12 09:44:01

Hi Lizzie

I'm also 31 weeks and was getting this last night but have just been told I have SPD (and getting lower back ache as well) so thought could have been due to that BUT it did worry me as feels exactly like period pains doesn't it?

I slightly panicked that it was labour for about a minute so I would be interested in what others have to saytoo.

janeejane Fri 10-Aug-12 10:29:44

I'm currently 38 weeks but had a few bouts of period like pains at 30 -33 weeks. Spoke to mw who said probably a version of BH.
But personally as soon as I made sure I drank a lot more water and upped my fibre and fruit so had better bm they disappeared and haven't comeback.
In this heat it could be a little dehydration.
But obviously if your worried call mw.

MrGeresHamster Fri 10-Aug-12 10:33:18

40+3 here and have been having the pains like you described for weeks and weeks. IME it means nothing and is a case of your body adjusting and getting ready. Midwife was unperturbed. I've been informed by mumsnet that real actual contractions are unmistakeable...

Speak to your midwife about it but don't get too worried.

sparklekitty Fri 10-Aug-12 20:24:32

My BH have started feeling very much like period cramps. Earlier in pregnancy I had classic tightening BH but now they don't feel a tight but more painful and cramp. Spoke to MW yesterday and she said its totally normal at this stage (33 weeks) I reckon probably BH or a bit of SPD/PGP.

AmyJane20 Sat 11-Aug-12 06:45:52

I had the same at 31 weeks with my first... thought it was just me being silly then turned out I was in labour and had her at 32weeks after docs tried to keep her in a lil longer!! If it persists i'd get it checked out xx

JennerOSity Sat 11-Aug-12 15:59:35

Agree with pervious posters - it is likely to be Braxton Hicks, and drinking as much water / liquid as possible should help.

WeeLors Sun 12-Aug-12 13:57:00

I have had this too and my MW said as well as possible BHs it could also be the cervix softening a bit already, apparently this can start to happen gradually any time in the 3rd trimester

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now