Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

belly wrapping! must share!

(163 Posts)
aries24 Fri 10-Aug-12 07:21:06

I'm 25weeks. Something I found out and must share for those who don't know. Having quite an attractive body, the thought of pregnancy has always scared me to the point of non excitment (although I adore children) because generally most women lose their flat tummys afterwards! And no amount of gyming and losing weight gets it exactly the way it was(I've seen this in many as work at a nursery school). So all my time I've just accepted this fact until I saw a friend of mine two months after the birth of her DD with an incredibly sexy flat tummy! She told me about belly wrapping! You wrap your tummy for 40 days night and day, very very tightly. It pushes the womb right back into place which doesn't happen naturally! And restores stretch marks by 50%!!!! Apparently its a very ancient practice in many cultures around the world!! Hope this helps for some of you's!! I can't wait to try it

Chunkychicken Fri 10-Aug-12 08:57:01

Yes Pickles but isn't the energy expended into worrying about the post-baby shape a waste of energy when you could focus on how your changing shape is the very epitome of womanly and that that in itself is sexy & beautiful??!!

I've had 3 thoughts since I posted;
1) isn't "flat stomach = sexy stomach" a very western concept?
2) doesn't binding actually prevent your stomach muscles (particularly the transverse abdominal muscles that work so hard in keeping us upright & get very stretched in pg) doing work? And if you're preventing them doing work then aren't you actually contributing to them being weaker? Surely sitting on a gym ball and/or doing gentle abdominal exercises will assist the muscles more?

And 3) OP as a 'fitness type' why do you want a quick fix? Surely you enjoy the exercise you do, rather than the aim being just body beautiful? If you do enjoy the exercise, why not just spend your time at the gym post-baby working on gently exercising your abdominals and getting your figure into a healthy way? Breastfeeding would help your stomach return to 'normal' too.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 10-Aug-12 08:57:55

She didn't exactly say that but just have a pop anyway.

Chunkychicken Fri 10-Aug-12 09:01:12

How is that 'having a pop' Pickles??!!!! confused

She said she was a fitness type upthread...

I just have always assumed people that spend a lot of time at the gym or playing sport do it because they enjoy it. Clearly I'm wrong & life isn't too short to spend time doing something you hate just to end up with an attractive corpse at the end of it hmm

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 10-Aug-12 09:04:08

I hadn't actually seen your post chunky.

We must have posted at the same time.

Kaloobear Fri 10-Aug-12 09:07:27

The Tupler Technique recommends using a splint which I think is essentially the same thing, as well as doing various exercises to close your diastasis. I don't think it's vain to want to look how you did pre-pregnancy, though I do think it's a bit unrealistic and you might find you care less once you've had the baby smile

exexe Fri 10-Aug-12 09:09:33

I'm going to try this. They have wraps/corsets on Amazon.
My Braziallian friend did this as she says its very common in Brazil and after 2 kids, her stomach is totally flat.

I'm not exactly aspiring to that as I have a couple of stones to lose as well but it would be nice not to still look pregnant after 6 months.
Hell, I'll give anything a go to look better with minimum effort.

Purplecatti Fri 10-Aug-12 09:12:18

Where I lived in India it was standard practice to belly wrap after birth using strips of cotton. It was done within 24 hours of birth.
I will be doing it but I'll probably buy one of those wrap things than tie myself up every morning. I think I'll have more important things to be getting on with.
I don't know how well they worked but the idea is that the bindings push back and support everything that was stretched during pregnancy for the first 6 weeks. They believed it helped your stomach muscles to knit back into place.
I'm not sure about getting your figure back with binding but all the ladies I saw were back looking lovely in their sari pretty quickly although they were usually slim and rather fit to begin with, and they did know how to tie their sari in the most flattering way.
I think the main reason was it felt nice to be bound in and supported for a while, similar to a corset. That's the reason I will be doing it really. My back has been very painful and I would like some support until I'm OK to exercise properly again.

PurplePidjin Fri 10-Aug-12 09:14:41

See, my fit and healthy friends have regained their figures quickly anyway - including one who's baby was just shy of 11lb.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 10-Aug-12 09:17:53

Chunky is does come across like you are telling her a but what she should think & do. You ate obviously of a very different though process to her.

1) yes flat stomachs are considered sexy in the west. We are in the west. Op finds them sexy. She wants to keep hers (If possible)

2) I am no expert on this, so I can't really comment if it works or not. Tempted to google but won't!

3) she hasn't said she won't be doing enjoyable exercise.

I think it's a bit if a worry that a lot if this seems to be worry about her partner.

But I think if she enjoys her body and wants to try a faddy thing that night or might not work to encourage a flat stomach, why not?

I said earlier, If I asked for a good tip for a stretch mark cream or similar I don't think I'd get lambasted.

Your body does change, some elements you may not like (or not everyone)

I don't think it made you a shallow person to admit that and try something to avoid it?

I'm growing some fearsome varicose veins. I won't be wearing these as a badge of honour.

CakeBump Fri 10-Aug-12 09:19:21

I don't think there's any need for the snarkiness ladies....

Whatever floats your boat....

RobinSparkles Fri 10-Aug-12 09:25:39

"I'm not sure about getting your figure back with binding but all the ladies I saw were back looking lovely in their sari pretty quickly although they were usually slim and rather fit to begin with, and they did know how to tie their sari in the most flattering way. "

Exactly!!! I know quite a few women who have got their flat stomachs back really quickly after birth, all of which had washboard abs beforehand. I think the stronger your stomach muscles are prepregnancy the better they will cope and spring back afterwards.

OP, if you are as fit and flat stomached as you say you are you should be fine!

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 10-Aug-12 09:28:34

This is true. I'm imagining you with a Jessica Ennis physique op!

Oh my god you women are all so vicious!! She was only suggesting a way of getting back into shape, why the hell are all the claws out???

I've never been particularly fit (extremely curvy size 12) and don't exercise much, and it does worry me that my hubby won't find me attractive anymore... doesn't everyone have that niggle of insecurity? My hubby is a good man and loves me lots, but unfortunately he is still a man and likes attractive women!!

Honestly, all of you that for whatever reason acted so out of turn to this poor woman's comment, you should feel properly ashamed of yourselves. Do you think she's going to want to come back on these forums and talk to you all anymore?? What if she needed advice but couldn't turn to this forum because you've all been unnecessarily bitchy over what was, essentially, a SUGGESTION.

If any of the kids in my class behaved the way you did, I'd be dragging their parents in to talk to them about their spiteful behaviour.

Jeez.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 10-Aug-12 09:57:15

Trick is to have a partner with a bigger belly than you, like mine grin

exexe Fri 10-Aug-12 10:05:05

I'm thinking of getting this one;

www.amazon.co.uk/Underworks-Post-Delivery-Girdle-Belt/dp/B00478NDZA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I don't understand why the op got a blasting. There are plenty of women dieting and exercising to get their figures back. There are threads galore on getting better skin. Style and Beauty threads are full of women wanting advice on flattering outfits.

Whats the difference?

This is something that women in different cultures have been doing for centuries.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 10-Aug-12 10:10:08

Man they are some Bridget jones pants!

I

poppy283 Fri 10-Aug-12 10:11:50

Strikes me as rather old fashioned, puts me in mind of corsets, foot binding etc.

And effing uncomfortable and hot! Although if you're due in the winter perhaps nice and cosy...

I got my flat stomach back by breastfeeding, I know not everyone's as lucky but this seems a little ... odd to me.

exexe Fri 10-Aug-12 10:12:20

Hopefully it'll be as comfortable and supportive too grin

Kelbells Fri 10-Aug-12 10:12:46

I'm in shock that this poster's is getting such a hard time.

Each to their own, we're all making very personal and different decisions from each other when it comes to when to tell family, when to tell work, maternity leave, pain relief, vit k for the baby, bf vs ff even changing bags! Why should this be any different! What she's suggesting is fairly innocuous, not risking her baby's health... I've read so many posts about changing bodies over the course of my pregnancy and how different people feel about it... This isn't for me... It might not be for you... but does it really so much matter to you all if she wants to try something a little bit different to get back into shape after the pregnancy.

She hasn't posted on AIBU!

Hairtodayandgonetomorrow Fri 10-Aug-12 10:14:55

Your friend might just have been lucky. SIL always snaps right back into shape whereas I was a stripey blob for about a year after I gave birth (and she bottlefed and I breastfed).

londonlivvy Fri 10-Aug-12 10:18:15

Humn. I'm not entirely sure why the OP is getting a blasting either.

Whilst I agree that in the immediate post-natal period the focus must surely be on looking after the baby, rather than worrying about fitting into your jeans, I want to get back my figure too. And it doesn't seem unnatural to want to do so, accepting of course that it won't be immediate and it'll be harder to find time and energy to do the exercise that you used to do. Getting back my figure is not about pleasing my partner, it's because I like being fit, healthy and strong and enjoy the destressing that exercise provides.

I'm not at all sure re belly wrapping as a concept though. And MY it is unattractive. not sure that would help with post-birth morale?!

I agree with chunkychicken that it seems more logical to gently get active, get walking, then sitting on an exercise ball then move to abdominal exercises, combined with a healthy eating programme that's appropriate for breastfeeding. Both my sisters managed to get their stomachs back that way and so that's my plan.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 10-Aug-12 10:19:46

Well my pants weren't much nicer in the weeks after. I wore tesco value pants and threw them all away.

Lexiindisguise Fri 10-Aug-12 10:22:26

I've only been on Mumsnet a few weld (10 weeks pg) and it's stuff like this that puts me off - some of you are so judgemental! I'm worried about my figure too and am not super fit, healthy baby is most important thing & my DH loves me however I am, but I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to minimise the physical effects of pregnancy if you can! My DM put on a lot of weight with me & spent most of her life being unhappy and hiding away despite a very supportive husband. I don't want to feel the same way :-/
OP isn't talking about something that could be harmful to her or to the baby, so why the judgement?

Lexiindisguise Fri 10-Aug-12 10:23:12

A few weeks even blush

Whirliwig72 Fri 10-Aug-12 10:26:48

I wouldn't be without my flabby/ flappy tummy - I can entertain my boys for hours with it. They love patting it, sucking it and blowing big raspberries on it. grin Good on you for wanting to be svelte if that makes you happy but don't beat yourself up if your tummy doesn't spring back to washboard straight away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now