Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Cerazette and getting pregnant

(24 Posts)
Genie84 Tue 31-Jul-12 14:41:57

Hello all

I'm fairly new on here and wouldn't mind some advice!

I have been on cerazette for about a year, before then was on Yasmin for about two years but had to come off because of migraines. My husband and I would like to start trying for a baby middle of next year. However I have heard that it can take a while for it to happen once you have come off cerazette. Some horror stories I have read said that it can take up to two years. Whilst we aren't quite in the financial position to have a child in the next nine months, I don't want to leave it too late before going off the pill in case we have issues.
At the same time I'm worried if I come off it soon, will get pregnant immediately.

Has anyone else had problems getting pregnant after coming off cerazette?

2blessed Tue 31-Jul-12 14:55:36

Hi genie84, Don't know if this is useful info but I became pregnant whilst on cerazette! Am now 19 weeks. Was on it for about 18 months...

Sidge Tue 31-Jul-12 14:58:54

In theory you can ovulate and therefore get pregnant within two days of stopping Cerazette.

It isn't common to experience significant delays in your periods returning when you stop Cerazette. I suspect the women reporting a two year delay in getting pregnant would have taken a long time to get pregnant regardless of what hormonal contraception they used.

You could come off Cerazette 3-6 months before you wish to start trying for a pregnancy and just use condoms whilst your cycle settles down.

Cheekychops84 Tue 31-Jul-12 14:59:42

Took me about 2 months both times x

HarlettOScara Tue 31-Jul-12 15:02:04

I was on Cerazette for 2 years. Stopped taking it end of June 2011. DD1 born end of June 2012 So, took about 3 cycles to conceive. My periods returned to normal within 5 weeks of stopping pill.

I think the problem with taking the pill is it can mask symptoms of underlying problems, like PCOS, rather than causing a problem itself iyswim?

I was on cerazette for years, but was ovulating normally within 6 weeks of coming off it. It did take me almost a year to get pregnant but I'm positive it wasn't the cerazette causing problems.

Just wanted to add that I came off cerazette in January, and it took me 6 weeks to have a period. After that everything was back to normal and I conceived first try in May.

sarahpip Thu 02-Aug-12 11:04:49

Am 36 and was on it for a number of years. I also read lots of stuff on the internet about trouble afterwards and it worried me, so when I cam off it I was fully expecting to be trying for quite a while, and lo and behold 3 months later got a line on a test! Can't even remember now if I had even had a period in between, one I think. 30 weeks preg and all good so far.

This is not a look how fertile I am boast, but just an alternative to the internet horror stories. I think the things you read on the internet are the extreme stories, not many people feel the need to post in the internet if everything is running swimmingly I suppose!

Hope this helps you feel positive....

sarahpip Thu 02-Aug-12 11:08:02

Oh yes - so to answer your question - I'd probably wait until you are ready, and not start beforehand, as you may get a shock sooner that you think!

Dorisday13 Thu 02-Aug-12 13:51:40

Hi I'm 28 weeks pregnant, stopped cerazette in may, didn't start cycling until December and conceived in January it was very frustrating, but once everything was. back to normal we conceived pretty quickly, GL x

StormyBrid Thu 02-Aug-12 22:52:11

Another alternative to the internet horror stories: I conceived three weeks after coming off cerazette. Was expecting it to take rather longer than that!

Splinters Fri 03-Aug-12 12:56:13

I stopped in January after 6 1/2 years, was abroad so not trying until April, took about two weeks' worth when I got back in case we'd suddenly decided we didn't want to try, and was pregnant by mid-June. I think I've read as many perfectly ok stories as horrors about conceiving after Cerazette.

AKMD Fri 03-Aug-12 13:30:25

Took about 4 months for me. I'd only been on it a month though.

Bowski Fri 03-Aug-12 17:44:31

I'd been on it for about 5 years, it took 6 weeks for my periods to come back and another 3 months for my period to settle into a regular pattern. I'm now 13 weeks pregnant and it took 6 months all in all (some months we didn't try so maybe 3 in reality!)

Try not to worry!

brettgirl2 Fri 03-Aug-12 17:56:36

It took me two weeks. Lots of horror stories about everything. It may have taken them 2 years anyway. Cant comment on periods getting back to normal as I didnt have one!

Purplecatti Fri 03-Aug-12 17:57:06

I got pregnant on it
shock
and yes, I WAS taking it properly

starlight36 Fri 03-Aug-12 19:14:49

I'm currently pregnant for the second time after taking Cerazette. The first time it took two months for it to get out of my system, the second time was five months. We conceived during the first cycle with our first and on the second cycle with this pregnancy. There are lots of horror stories posted on the web but plenty of Cerazette users who don't have problems.

bonzaii Fri 03-Aug-12 20:06:46

i am 9 weeks pregnant whilst taking cerazette and i also was taking it properly

I was on it for 7 years. 28 day cycle came back as soon as I stopped and I got pregnant after TTC for 6 months (now 19 weeks)

took me 5 months. 12 week scan tomorrow!

flipflump Mon 18-Mar-13 13:48:04

Was on it for 3 years roughly. Took 1 month for my period to return and almost a year to conceive, don't know if there's any other reason for it to have taken just as long. Good luck!

Lj8893 Mon 18-Mar-13 13:58:17

I have pcos and was always aware I would struggle to get pregnant. I was on cerrazette for about a year but came off it last August and am now 8 weeks pregnant even with my pcos!

Kelly1814 Mon 18-Mar-13 14:29:33

took it for 20 years. stopped. got pregnant 2 weeks later. there is hope!

suzyrut Mon 18-Mar-13 14:39:10

Another who had no problems, on it for 3 years, was pregnant within 2 weeks of coming off it (am 38!!) didn't even have a period xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now