Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can a Clear Blue Digital Pregnancy Test give a false negative?

(62 Posts)
xxMummyBxx Sun 15-Jul-12 18:26:21

Right here it goes...

So I was due on 12th July and my periods are normally regular. I had unprotected sex on the 29th June to which I've researched and turns out I was most likely ovulating between 25h-30th June. So this is why I've tested quite early...

I done a test yesterday - Boots own brand and it came back with an unclear result. It had what I could make out to be a very very very faint line. So I decided to take a Clear Blue Digital test today which came back 'Not Pregnant'. However I'm not convinced, as I just feel I might be... If that makes sense to anyone?

Is there any chance or has anyone ever used Clear Blue and been given a false negative?
I'm going to re-test in a few days anyway if my period hasn't come but I just wanted to know if it was possible.

jeteallday Tue 01-Sep-15 19:00:15

I took a clear blue digital test today and it read "not pregnant". I was curious so I opened it haha and I saw two lines lines, one was lighter but it was there. Is it true that it will only give a positive if there is a detection of HCG at 50? My period is due in 2 days could this have been too early? I am SO confused. hmm

machair Sat 15-Aug-15 00:22:38

There's a number of reasons why your period might be late (apart from pregnancy). Perhaps try one of the superdrug or other cheaper tests, which I understand to be more accurate and if comes up not pregnant. might be worth making an appointment with your GP.

bigmama12345 Sat 08-Aug-15 16:08:19

Please I am very confused. 1- I am 41yrs, 2- I have never missed my period but for this month that I have missed my period, 3- I am three days late, I did had unprotected sex, 4-I did used a clear blue from Asda and it came as not pregnant, is it menopause or irregular period? I do have this strong feelings that I am pregnant as I am very tired and restless. Please help me.

tinkerbelle32 Sun 26-Jul-15 17:31:03

Hiya can anyone help me...
Im 5 days late now and used a xlear blue test which came back not pregnant could the test be wrong?

Lmcdclcrcrc Thu 09-Jul-15 10:03:53

Just an updated, af has paid me a visit, so was just wishful thinking, had nausea and frequently toilet trips but obviously the reason isn't what I was hoping for. Maybe next month sad

DextersMistress Mon 06-Jul-15 20:46:53

If the op did get a bfp she'd have a 2 year old now...!

Lmcdclcrcrc Mon 06-Jul-15 20:41:54

I had a mc in Feb when I was 8 weeks. I don't seem to be able to get pregnant, although I done a boots test 2 days ago with a faint positive but then tonight I done a clearblue and said not pregnant, I'm not due af for 3 days could I be testing to early or am I just wishing I am :-)

Nickyh37 Sat 20-Jun-15 12:22:26

I brought a first response test which showed up a faint line also a cheap test showed a line, I've also done a clearblue digi test which has come back not pregnant.! I'm so confused has anybody else had this? X

RJM104 Sat 20-Jun-15 09:02:29

Hi all sorry I'm new to all this too, came off the pill in October 2014, cycle went back to 27-28 days and been like clockwork til this month. AF was due on Wednesday/Thursday (last month's started overnight angry!) tried Clearblue as thought they were supposed to be the best and had a negative on Thursday and another negative this morning (Saturday) using first morning urine. I am cramping up and have been for about 2 weeks although not as painful as AF time, my boobs are tingly, my back is killing me and I am so bloody hungry!! Am I testing too early, using the wrong test or should I just be riding it out and stop being neurotic?? xx

happysurprise1981 Wed 17-Jun-15 13:06:06

Sadly AF appeared this week. I guess my body is playing tricks. Absolutely gutted. However, no choice but to look forwards

emilyyyx Sun 14-Jun-15 19:39:25

By leave it a few days I meant to test not leave the actual test haha!

emilyyyx Sun 14-Jun-15 19:37:04

Hi was it a early miscarriage or late one? Sorry for both of your losses. Same happened to me I went through an early miscarriage and got pregnant the next month without trying. Some say you are more fertile. With the digital tests they can also provide you with false negatives. With my experience with taking the test apart I wouldn't I have had so many false positives with doing it as when the air gets to it the dye can sometimes become more visible. I would try a first response or a superdrug own in the morning and maybe leave it a few days. Hope this helps you both x

happysurprise1981 Sun 14-Jun-15 19:24:58

E10m66 what you have written above is exactly the same as me. Had a m/c 30 days ago. Usually have a 28 day cycle. Sore boobs, bloated, headaches and tiredness. A very faint positive yesterday but 2 negatives since. Now I feel like I am going crazy. Hope you have managed to get an answer to your query.

E10m66 Thu 04-Jun-15 17:21:48

Hi can anyone help , I had a misscarriage 4 weeks and 2 days ago and my hcg levels went back to normal , I took a test yesterday and I got a faint positive but definitely positive and today I've had 2 negatives :/ , I don't no wether I'm not or am ? I would clearly not be far if I was but my boobs are sore the bottom of my belly is bloated n have had niggling feelings for over a week but just thought I was awY to get my period but it's not happened can anyone help than you

E10m66 Thu 04-Jun-15 17:03:52

Hi can anyone help , I had a misscarriage 4 weeks and 2 days ago and my hcg levels went back to normal , I took a test yesterday and I got a faint positive but definitely positive and today I've had 2 negatives :/ , I don't no wether I'm not or am ? I would clearly not be far if I was but my boobs are sore the bottom of my belly is bloated n have had niggling feelings for over a week but just thought I was awY to get my period but it's not happened can anyone help than you

Mtris143 Thu 28-May-15 13:03:23

Ladies, this may sound gross but crack the case open and confirm. It's super easy, you'll see control and then either a line or no line.

The test's brains work in a binary fashion. If it sees dark enough line before control it trips the sensor. If the line is too faint it won't trip it. So you still need to do your own assessment.

Fattycow Fri 22-May-15 08:12:52

It is best to test in the morning and not to use a digital test, as those are notorious for being wrong!

Rere321 Thu 21-May-15 22:07:39

Hi I'm after some advise. I Was due on my period on the 13th may , I'm usually on really heavy and always on time. This month I bled the smallest amount and have had nothing since. I took a test Yestersay , a tesco digital test 2x. Both came up invalid. Today I brought a clear blue digital and it came up 'not pregnant'. I haven't had any period pains like I usually do. My breasts are not sore and they usually get quiet sore when due on. Is there a likely chance I could be pregnant ? Is it best to test in the morning, as I tested this evening with the clear blue. Thanks in advance x

clarelou84 Thu 14-May-15 18:33:38

I'm really confused I probably sound like a right muppet but I an very fertile and have kiddy already.. luckily never had to try and would always fall pregnant straight away however me and hubby had sexy time on the 28th 29th April and my cycle for last 3 months has been 25 days so would be due on tomorrow (25days) and today is 14 days after sex I did a test 2 days ago and today on Clear blue Digital both another Pregnant.. but I have no signs of my period coming on which is unusual and also have felt very nautious the last few days.. has my luck gone or is it too early to test? I always remember clear blue digital being accurate really early I'm just so inpatient :/ Help please xx

Lauren83 Tue 12-May-15 06:56:05

I'm 7 weeks after ivf and was showing neg on a digi for a week after pos on a FRER

hullywully Tue 12-May-15 06:44:15

Curvy- I didn't wait a bloody week. Anyone that can deserves a medal. I took one everyday for the whole time I was due on. I hope you get the result you want. Chances are you are too. gringringrin

hullywully Tue 12-May-15 06:42:21

I tested 6 days ago and wasn't preg, I then tested 5 days ago and I'm actually 5 weeks preg. You rarely get a false positive! You need to wait until the hormone levels are higher. Chances are you are preg. grin

curvymumma Tue 12-May-15 05:36:31

This thread is going to save my sanity...
I had a very very faint positive on a first response test on Sunday (mother's day hehe) and then a negative from CB today.
Fingers crossed I can't wait about a week and them test again. I have another CB test in my cabinet though so I may be naughty and use it sooner rather than later. Best to wait but I'm a curious little chicken.

p0tato Sun 10-May-15 06:58:42

Tested again first thing this morning and it's come up positive. Must have conceived 2 weeks after mc, very similar to you by the sounds of it. Here's hoping for a healthy, happy ending smile thanks again for the advice sarkymare - it gave me the courage to actually do the test this morning!

sarkymare Sat 09-May-15 21:03:04

A clear blue may show a positive but I wouldn't worry too much if it doesn't. As I say they aren't that sensitive. Just make sure you use first morning urine before any food or drink as HCG will be more concentrated so easier to detect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now