Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Three Early pregnancy questions; alcohol, fish oil and exercise - v glamourous!

(8 Posts)
webminx Sun 29-Apr-12 20:21:55

Just did a test and it's positive! Looks like am about 3-4 weeks pregant. Very excited, as had been dithering about trying for number 2 and now the decision is made! DH also delighted. All good so far. Now, problem is, as we weren't officially "trying", I wasn't holding back on anything. I have had three nights out in the last month, all of which involved at least a bottle of wine! Am now panicking wildly that I may have pickled the baby.

Can anyone lay my mind at rest?
Also, does anyone know if taking fish oil supplements while pregnant are ok? Am taking pregnancy multivitamins too.
Lastly, having been unfit all my adult life, I finally joined a gym two months ago and was just getting into it - running on treadmill, weights and a couple of classes. Will I have to stop/cut down?

Mostly worried about the alcohol though (although realize now there's not much I can do about it!) so any thoughts on that v welcome!

Sittinginthesun Sun 29-Apr-12 20:26:30

Congratulations! I am not a big drinker, but was hammered the weekends before I found out I was pregnant with both my dcs. I was also worried, but they turned out fine!

Fish oils are bad, I think, because of the Vit A. I would buy specific vitamins for pregnancy (you need the B Vits, and also Vit D).

As for the gym, talk to the instructor and ask for a revised workout. I did try to continue, with DS1, but found I got dizzy. Swimming is very good.

Purplelooby Sun 29-Apr-12 20:30:10

Congratulations webminx! I agree that fish oils are not great - I think the pregnancy vitamins are very well balanced though so should be fine.

As far as alcs is concerned, I think it's a common story so I wouldn't worry! You can keep going to the gym for a while yet but don't step up your exercise regime or anything. For now even running is fine though.

PickleSarnie Sun 29-Apr-12 20:56:19

There are an awful lot of.babies that wouldn't have been conceived if it hadn't been for copious amounts of alcohol!

I took omega oil tablets last time but they were sanantogen pregnancy ones. Not sure how they differ from regular ones.

webminx Sun 29-Apr-12 20:56:59

Thanks very much to both of you! Feel bit relieved now - will definitely be more careful re alcohol now that I know! Will be stocking up on the usual J2o also, I suspect! Will give the fish oil a miss and keep up with the pregnancy vitamins instead to be on the safe side.
Is funny - couple of months ago would have been thrilled at an excuse to skive off exercising but have actually begun to enjoy it so reluctant to completely throw in the towel! Will tell one of the instructors and see what they recommend. Thanks for the congratulations; we're both feeling very pleased and happy! DS1 has no clue what's going on yet - hope all goes well and we can tell him soon!

NaomiRuth Sun 29-Apr-12 22:16:21

Congratulations!!

I'm taking a fish oil supplement which is made from the body of fish (and not the livers). I've read on baby centre that this is ok. It's just the liver based ones that have too much retinol. Mine are from Cytoplan but I've also just emailed them to ask for confirmation (can't hurt to double check.)

NaomiKnees Fri 16-Nov-12 11:27:32

Congrats on your news!
I've asked a few questions on this forum and got some great answers! Obviously, I love Mumsnet- but this site has experts answering questions too! www.fittamamma.com/forum/

I found out that I was pregnant while I was a little hungover, so I was really worried but the doctor reassured me that it was fine and that it's very common!

kalidasa Fri 16-Nov-12 17:24:35

Don't worry too much about the alcohol. For the first 7-10 days after conception the embryo has not even implanted - that means it's floating around with the cells dividing but it's not attached to you physically so can't possibly be affected by alcohol in your system. It's only after implantation that you could possibly do any harm and if you've only just missed your period/got a positive test you'll only have implanted pretty recently. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Gym is fine though you should aim to maintain your regime at the most, not step it up. And don't feel bad if you start feeling too queasy/exhausted to go for a few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now