Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch Mark Cream: What works (or waste of money)??

(121 Posts)
Cupcake83 Fri 27-Jan-12 11:58:10

Ok so I am pregnant with #1, about 9 weeks or so according to Dr Google.

In a vain attempt to prevent stretch marks I have been lathering Bio Oil and Palmers cocoa butter (not together) all over my boobs, back, hips and tum for a while and wanted to see what others are using/have used in the past and most importantly if they are any good smile

I'm aware that regardless of what I smother myself in I may still end up with stretch marks - but at least I tried right???

Bodicea Tue 08-Oct-13 17:04:39

I used bio oil at first but then fell in love with the mamamio tummy rub oil. It smells an feels lovely and I did get a comment off the midwife on my "lovely skin" which is stretch mark free at 35 weeks - it does feel nice and soft which considering I get excema is an achievement.
I also take fish oils every day - efalex, mum omega or pregnacare - whatever is on offer and think that that could be a factor in it too.

Cariad007 Tue 08-Oct-13 17:53:58

I've read that if you're going to get stretch marks you're going to get them, and all the creams and oils in the world won't help. Having said that, I'm still willing to try a few preventative measures! I've just been sticking with Palmer's Cocoa Butter. They also market a special stretch mark cream but I've had a look at the ingredient list on that and it isn't any different to their regular cocoa butter lotion, although twice the price!

Elenashephard Thu 14-Nov-13 10:06:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

helenpoon83 Mon 12-Oct-15 07:31:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Orangeisthenewbanana Mon 12-Oct-15 07:36:31

I used Cusson's Mum&Me Bump stretch mark cream while pregnant with DD and again while pregnant with DC2 (currently 33 weeks). No stretch marks yet. However I do agree that although keeping your skin supple certainly can't hurt, I don't really think you can totally prevent them if they're going to happen. It's more blind luck (and genetics).

ALR123 Mon 12-Oct-15 08:14:19

I'm naturally slim but got tons of stretchmarks in puberty so I wasn't holding out any hope with pregnancy as I know my skin is just not very stretchy! Have used bio oil and cocoa butter every day and yesterday noticed (at 27 weeks pregnant) they're starting to appear down the outside of my legs already. Grrr angry

sizethree Mon 12-Oct-15 09:47:01

Drinking loads of water and staying super hydrated has helped ward off mine I think.mim prone to dry skin and eczema and I've just been sticking to diprobase cream as it's got a good viscosity without overloading the skin.
37 weeks and no marks (yet!)

LenaShcherbak Sun 24-Apr-16 15:23:10

I got Dermalmd Stretch Mark Cream for my daughter who is starting to develop stretch marks from growing. It's working great and the redness is fading.

babyboybump91 Sun 08-May-16 19:00:54

I have tried everything from coconut oil to bapanthen stretch mark cream and most natural remedies.. still managed to end up with stretch marks, the only one i have found that makes a difference was forever livings alpha-e factor luckily a friend told me about it at 18 weeks before they got to bad. im now 22 and i haven't had anymore! and the ones i do have have faded loads! think this will be my new best friend throughout pregnancy. its also lovely for your face and sore cracked feet so thats an added bonus!.

some info below if anyone would like to have a gander.

shop.foreverliving.com/retail/entry/Shop.do?store=GBR&language=en&distribID=440500040282

good luck

Ellarose85 Sun 08-May-16 20:30:09

biscuit

angryscousebird Sun 08-May-16 20:51:26

I used this one www.moltonbrown.co.uk/store/bath-body/body-lotion-cream/white-sandalwood-nourishing-body-lotion/KBT046/

No stretch marks and went from 22 inch waist to 52 inch waist!

Didn't use it with the dd and covered in them!

MonaGebhard Sat 10-Sep-16 05:47:13

I like dermelastic serum enough to buy it for the third time and third pregnancy. I gained a lot of weight in my first pregnancy and got stretch marks on my sides and legs (I didn't use this product) but my second pregnancy, I used dermelastic serum and got no new stretch marks. It could have been because I didn't gain 80 pounds like I did the first pregnancy, but either way, I didn't get any additional stretch marks… therefore I am buying dermelastic again with my third baby.

user1477283453 Mon 24-Oct-16 05:34:43

All I have to say is give dermelastic serum to try as I have been using dermelastic now for about 3 weeks and the results are amazing! My stretch marks were awful they stretch right across my stomach and round both hips and on my thighs all from pregnancy. dermelastic has already reduced the appearance of them and the color and is starting to flatten the skin and make it smoother to touch.

phoebe2016 Mon 24-Oct-16 05:48:26

I used Almond Oil twice a day during both me previous pregnancies and never got any stretch marks, it was fab smile I do think that genetics play a part as well though, so people are more prone than others.

BeccaSays Mon 24-Oct-16 13:08:45

I'm 20 weeks and was using bio oil but have switched to Palmers stretch mark body lotion. I just prefer the consistency to be honest!

Tumilnaughts Wed 26-Oct-16 09:00:39

I tried bio oil but didn't love the smell after a while. I switched to Organic Coconut oil from the cooking aisle and never looked back. I only got one little mark on my side about 1cm long. Plus I smelled like Nice biscuits, which my DH liked. grin

TryingNotToWaddle Wed 26-Oct-16 09:11:13

Before my first pregnancy I was a toned size 8 and slathered on all the bio oils and cocoa butters. Got no stretch marks.

This pregnancy I've done the same creams and oils and pre pregnancy was the same size and now I've got stretch marks all round my upper thighs sad and a few on the sides of my tummy.

So nothing works I thinks.

datingbarb Wed 26-Oct-16 09:13:27

4 pregnancy and no stretch marks, I used espa pregnancy oil everyday from my boobs down to my thighs.

They say it runs in families but my mum and all my sisters, aunts etc got bad stretch marks and I didn't

Also all my babies were small between 5.5 and 6.5 lbs so maybe that's why

elitova Wed 26-Oct-16 10:01:30

I was doing fine with a regular cocoa butter moisturiser until my 8th month. Now, in my 9th month, my lower belly is covered in red stretchmarks. I've been told to use almond oil (I'm slathering it on 2-3 times a day!). Can anyone tell me - is there anything "retrospective" I can do to try and fix them?!

user1480955945 Tue 06-Dec-16 06:53:43

Dermalmd is best stretch mark Cream I Used during my first pregnancy and I hardly have any stretch marks! Kept my skin so hydrated!

Becciilouisex3 Tue 06-Dec-16 11:30:24

I used cocoa butter and boots Maternity oil. Didn't get very big really and had no stretch marks during pregnancy but some did appear after I'd had DS. I think it's because my bump literally disappeared as soon as he was out so my skin didn't have time to go back naturally maybe.

I only have a few though and they're really not that bad, I quite like mine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now