Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

In a blind panic - ibuprofen

(36 Posts)
Tildabewildered Tue 24-Jan-12 19:32:29

Oh God. Just found out I am pregnant after 9 months of trying. However, in the past 2 weeks, i.e from ovulation to BFP I have been taking the full daily dose of ibuprofen for a tooth abscess. Just rang EPU to book an early scan (previous ectopic) and the nurse basically said that the ibuprofen was a 'serious problem' and I am in for 'an anxious wait' to see if the baby has a) survived and b) is not deformed. Am devastated. Has nayone got any experience of this?

CurvyNurse1 Mon 04-Aug-14 10:54:23

Just because you were and others do doesn't make it ok or acceptable please stop giving medical advice you are going to harm someone

CurvyNurse1 Mon 04-Aug-14 10:53:39

Just because you were and others do doesn't make it ok or acceptable please stop giving medical advice you are going to harm someone

CurvyNurse1 Mon 04-Aug-14 10:51:55

I know this is an older thread but I couldn't help myself I'm an L & D nurse and while taking NSAIDS aren't recommended darlin all females before finding out are pregnant guarantee have taken/done something you "can't" do whole pregnant! While I realize the list is huge of can't, don't, shouldn't when researched it may not look so bad......but I am telling you these things make the list because there is a higher risk doing it then there is benefit I say this in response to the non medical people claiming rubbish I promise when your the one helping tell an expecting mother that her baby has passed due to a heart attack caused from ibuprofen closing the heart valve in utero instead of at birth the risks that may seem like such a small risk become all to real......while this nurses response was uncalled for I'm sure she's seen far more than some ever will and it's not pretty sometimes!! I hope you are doing great darlin

CurvyNurse1 Mon 04-Aug-14 10:49:34

I know this is an older thread but I couldn't help myself I'm an L & D nurse and while taking NSAIDS aren't recommended darlin all females before finding out are pregnant guarantee have taken/done something you "can't" do whole pregnant! While I realize the list is huge of can't, don't, shouldn't when researched it may not look so bad......but I am telling you these things make the list because there is a higher risk doing it then there is benefit I say this in response to the non medical people claiming rubbish I promise when your the one helping tell an expecting mother that her baby has passed due to a heart attack caused from ibuprofen closing the heart valve in utero instead of at birth the risks that may seem like such a small risk become all to real......while this nurses response was uncalled for I'm sure she's seen far more than some ever will and it's not pretty sometimes!! I hope you are doing great darlin

MrsDibble Wed 04-Sep-13 21:25:02

Just adding to the above - I had a terrible cold in first week of pregnancy and (not knowing I was pregnant) took ibuprofen and decongestants etc. Have seen no probs at all on scans so far. - i've had three scans even though I'm only 15 weeks!

jodywood Wed 04-Sep-13 07:51:55

During weeks 1-13 (first trimester), avoid taking ibuprofen because:

1. It may increase the risk of miscarriage.
2. Your baby could develop a heart defect or other abnormalities, such as defects in their abdominal wall or cleft palate.

During weeks 14-27 (second trimester), if you need medicine to relieve pain and reduce inflammation, you can take ibuprofen occasionally but opt for paracetamol if possible.

During weeks 28-40 (third trimester), avoid taking ibuprofen because it may, for example:

1. increase the risk of heart problems that cause high blood pressure in your unborn baby’s lungs
2.delay your labour
3. reduce the amount of amniotic fluid in which your baby floats

It’s important only to take ibuprofen after week 28 on the advice of a doctor, and your pregnancy will be monitored regularly to check for any problems.

I think the above details will help you to have a better understanding about ibuprofen during pregnancy.

Zombie thread ladies, look at the date of the op.

PurplePoppySeed Fri 26-Apr-13 20:33:37

Another vote not to worry. I've always relied on ibuprofen as the only thing that can get rid of my migraines, I tried to stop using it when ttc but it was too hard, so I took doc and pharmacists advice. Both said not to worry about stopping until you know you a pregnant and even then it's only the third trimester they really worry about (although neither would actively say its ok before). As far as I understand it doesn't thin the blood like asprin, it's more about clotting/platelets, the other issue in the third trimester that the pharmacist read from her book was that it can stop the heart valves closing up properly, which is much later on - so again not something you should worry about now.

SeriousStuff Fri 26-Apr-13 16:15:31

How very unprofessional of her to say such a thing! Women still drink, smoke, go to high altitudes, pick up cat poo, deliver lambs, touch soil, eat raw fish and unpasteurised cheeses before they find out they're pregnant.

I was drinking regularly for 3 weeks before I found out I was pg, but stopped immediately when I found out. Please try not to worry.

Chloebw Fri 26-Apr-13 16:10:54

I didn't know I was pregnant for quite a while and was taking it for headaches so far I'm 27 weeks and baby's fine.

ermahampton Fri 26-Apr-13 07:28:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

oikopolis Mon 30-Jan-12 03:24:34

Tilda just adding my voice to the chorus, NSAIDs are a problem because they can thin blood, and therefore make nonimplantation/early mc slightly more likely.

I've never heard of a deformity risk, certainly not in the first month when you've barely got more than some cells dividing, and all nutrients are coming from the little sac! What a stupid stupid woman that nurse is, and what a power trip she must be on if that's what she goes around saying to pregnant women...

Rhinestone Mon 30-Jan-12 03:06:45

Was going to write pretty much exactly what saltyair wrote. Please don't worry about it, she was talking bollocks.

nearlymumofone Mon 30-Jan-12 01:50:39

Try not to worry.

With DC1 I was told I couldn't get pregnant (due to medical reasons), so I had an operation under general anaesthetic, a full dose of ibuprofen, cocodamol, otehr prescribed drugs which are big no nos if pregnant every day then local anaesthetic and only did a pregnancy test a week after I was due (obviously got my BFP then!!). I worried a bit about all the previous things I'd taken but my gp actually told me at the time not to worry and that it's unlikely that any of that would have affected the development of the baby. It didn't DC1 is 18 months, couldn't be more perfect and is currently keeping me awake all night with his bad cold (hence the last night post).

So, I know it's hard but try not to worry. And good luck.

(I am good at giving this advice but am such a worrier- currenlty pg with dc2 and am 10 weeks and worry about the pregnancy every day!!).

Oops I wasn't calling anyone a stubborn cow, I meant stubborncow!

Same as stubborn cow - thought it was horrendous period pains, must have been implantation, took LOADS of ibruprofen and I was 4 weeks by then. She's currently shouting at her brother smile

SoozyWoozy Sun 29-Jan-12 18:23:58

The BNF (drug bible for the medical world) says:

^Pregnancy

Most manufacturers advise avoiding the use of NSAIDs during pregnancy or avoiding them unless the potential benefit outweighs the risk. NSAIDs should be avoided during the third trimester because use is associated with a risk of closure of fetal ductus arteriosus in utero and possibly persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. In addition, the onset of labour may be delayed and its duration may be increased.^

No mention of first trimester there! And also, when drugs are 'manufacturers advise avoid' roughly translates as 'manufacturers do not want to be held responsible for any problems which trace back to their product so say avoid so you can't sue them' wink

HTH

Suzy x

Happenstance Sun 29-Jan-12 17:49:09

what a lovely woman she sounds, don't worry i was taking co-codamol and ibuprofen for a bad hip when i found i was pregnant, resulting DD is currently sitting on my knee, just ignore this woman and if possible request a different nurse.

saltyair Sun 29-Jan-12 16:09:36

For the first couple of weeks the baby gets all of its nutrients from the egg sac - it often isn't yet embedded properly and there is no transfer of anything via a cord or placenta. I hope you do complain, that lady needs a different bedside manner if she is going to be in contact with members of the public who are already hormonal messes a bit anxious...

MrsLister Sun 29-Jan-12 13:50:52

She sounds like a bad, bad dick. What a totally irresponsible thing to say to an anxious mum-to-be!!!

I am sure everything will be fine - sounds like arse-covering to me as tardisjumper says.

Good luck - will be thinking of you

Hi Tilda,
hope all is well and you're getting your scan soon (if not already!)
I just wanted to add, that I was recently looking for something else on the internet, and discovered that SIGN (the scottish equivalent of NICE, and very sensible!!) recommend ibuprofen as a treatment for migraine in pregnant women in their first and second trimester. So... while obviously, no mediation can ever be said to be 100%, they obviously didn't have that many concerns if this is their advice!

good luck!

tardisjumper Tue 24-Jan-12 20:15:54

* not planned I mean fine!!!!!!! wine

tardisjumper Tue 24-Jan-12 20:13:57

Look, the way i htink about it is half of pregnancies in this coutry are unplanned and people will have been:
eating pate
drinking\
smoking
taking over the counter drugs

with gay abandon. And the vast vast vast majority of babies are planned.

The reason for the panic ( I learned when doing degree) is that ANYTHING can be mutagenic potentially. So people cover their arses basically. Even if somethign was wrong it could be that barbequed chicken you ate (sorry if that is unsympathetic!)

Tildabewildered Tue 24-Jan-12 20:07:56

Oh, and yes - I will be making a complaint. Quite a vigorous one.

Tildabewildered Tue 24-Jan-12 20:06:02

Thank you so much for your replies, they are making me feel a bit better. I just wish the nurse hadn't told me any of this, (although I suppose I did ask if it was an issue, in fairness), she could have waited til my scan, she nearly gave me a bloody heart attack. As though the first few weeks aren't hard enough, and she had my notes in front of her, she can see that I've had 3 early pregnancy losses already.
Well, there's nothing I can do about it now, so I guess that the best choice is to try and put it out of my mind as much as I can...thanks again for the support, you lovely lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now