Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

In a blind panic - ibuprofen

(32 Posts)
Tildabewildered Tue 24-Jan-12 19:32:29

Oh God. Just found out I am pregnant after 9 months of trying. However, in the past 2 weeks, i.e from ovulation to BFP I have been taking the full daily dose of ibuprofen for a tooth abscess. Just rang EPU to book an early scan (previous ectopic) and the nurse basically said that the ibuprofen was a 'serious problem' and I am in for 'an anxious wait' to see if the baby has a) survived and b) is not deformed. Am devastated. Has nayone got any experience of this?

ermahampton Fri 26-Apr-13 07:28:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Chloebw Fri 26-Apr-13 16:10:54

I didn't know I was pregnant for quite a while and was taking it for headaches so far I'm 27 weeks and baby's fine.

SeriousStuff Fri 26-Apr-13 16:15:31

How very unprofessional of her to say such a thing! Women still drink, smoke, go to high altitudes, pick up cat poo, deliver lambs, touch soil, eat raw fish and unpasteurised cheeses before they find out they're pregnant.

I was drinking regularly for 3 weeks before I found out I was pg, but stopped immediately when I found out. Please try not to worry.

PurplePoppySeed Fri 26-Apr-13 20:33:37

Another vote not to worry. I've always relied on ibuprofen as the only thing that can get rid of my migraines, I tried to stop using it when ttc but it was too hard, so I took doc and pharmacists advice. Both said not to worry about stopping until you know you a pregnant and even then it's only the third trimester they really worry about (although neither would actively say its ok before). As far as I understand it doesn't thin the blood like asprin, it's more about clotting/platelets, the other issue in the third trimester that the pharmacist read from her book was that it can stop the heart valves closing up properly, which is much later on - so again not something you should worry about now.

Zombie thread ladies, look at the date of the op.

jodywood Wed 04-Sep-13 07:51:55

During weeks 1-13 (first trimester), avoid taking ibuprofen because:

1. It may increase the risk of miscarriage.
2. Your baby could develop a heart defect or other abnormalities, such as defects in their abdominal wall or cleft palate.

During weeks 14-27 (second trimester), if you need medicine to relieve pain and reduce inflammation, you can take ibuprofen occasionally but opt for paracetamol if possible.

During weeks 28-40 (third trimester), avoid taking ibuprofen because it may, for example:

1. increase the risk of heart problems that cause high blood pressure in your unborn baby’s lungs
2.delay your labour
3. reduce the amount of amniotic fluid in which your baby floats

It’s important only to take ibuprofen after week 28 on the advice of a doctor, and your pregnancy will be monitored regularly to check for any problems.

I think the above details will help you to have a better understanding about ibuprofen during pregnancy.

MrsDibble Wed 04-Sep-13 21:25:02

Just adding to the above - I had a terrible cold in first week of pregnancy and (not knowing I was pregnant) took ibuprofen and decongestants etc. Have seen no probs at all on scans so far. - i've had three scans even though I'm only 15 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now