Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

In a blind panic - ibuprofen

(32 Posts)
Tildabewildered Tue 24-Jan-12 19:32:29

Oh God. Just found out I am pregnant after 9 months of trying. However, in the past 2 weeks, i.e from ovulation to BFP I have been taking the full daily dose of ibuprofen for a tooth abscess. Just rang EPU to book an early scan (previous ectopic) and the nurse basically said that the ibuprofen was a 'serious problem' and I am in for 'an anxious wait' to see if the baby has a) survived and b) is not deformed. Am devastated. Has nayone got any experience of this?

Rubbish. what total panic mongery.

Yes, it's not ideal, but certainly not that much of a disaster for most people. The problems (I am medical but no expert) tend to be at their worst in the last trimester.

Yes, you'll now be very worried until the early scan, but I really wouldn't expect it to show anything wrong.

I wonder if telling a manager/ equivalent at EPU may make her think twice about communicating so shockingly over the phone in the future?

Best of luck.

blondiep14 Tue 24-Jan-12 19:40:22

Oh Tilda, what a flipping awful thing for her to say.
I'm afraid I haven't got any knowledge of ibuprofen and it's effects but surely you can't be the only woman to have unknowingly taken it, or worse in early stages?
With both my DS's I got really drunk before knowing I was pregnant - they are fine and weighed 8 and 10lbs!
I had been glugging cough medicine before finding I was pregnant last week too.

I hope you have your scan really soon and all is well. Positive thoughts and luck your way.

Owerly Tue 24-Jan-12 19:43:45

I don't have experience but from the information I have found the "only" issue with taking ibuprofen in the first twelve weeks of pregnancy is that it could possibly increase the chances of miscarriage, although the research looks sketchy. The deformed thing seems to be a load of rubbish, as that would be if you were taking it in late pregnancy. That was pretty horrible of the nurse, that's not exactly helpful! It's stressful enough when you find out you are pregnant and go through all the things you have done in the last few weeks, like get blind drunk blush

I wouldn't panic, just stop taking it and, if you're worried, then make an appointment with the GP.

oh and of course... Congratulations grin

Hopefully someone with experience will be along soon.

timetosmile Tue 24-Jan-12 19:44:20

You won't be the first, and you won't be the last!

At normal doses it's essentially harmless in the first and second trimester, especially when taken at a normal dose for a limited time,when it's the anti-inflammatory of choice - this is taken from NHS medical/prescribing guidelines (I just googled it to check!)

It's not recommended to take anti-inflammatories in the third trimester because it can change the way baby's circulation switches from 'breathing' in amniotic fluid to air at birth, if you see what I mean.

But there don't appear to be any links with early pregnancy use of brufen and problems for the baby....I'm pretty sure this is accurate..hope that's a help!

Owerly Tue 24-Jan-12 19:47:45

the nhs information I saw only said to be worried if it's after 28 weeks, so I'm really suprised that an NHS professional could be so tackless!! also just realised my informing you of one study I found about early pregnancy was probably not helpful, forgot just how much everything puts you on edge in those first few weeks blush

mousymouseprice Tue 24-Jan-12 19:47:53

ibuprofen is fine in the second trimester if everything is fine.
it thins blood and is therefore not reccomended during first and third trimester as can cause complications if there is any bleeding.
so most probably you are fine but do get that abcess properly treated!

BerryLellow Tue 24-Jan-12 19:48:09

I did the exact same thing, and while I wouldn't be recommending it to anyone it didn't cause any problems for me.

Isn't it something to do with the umbilical cord? Anyway. I only found out it was a bad idea when I went to see Dr with throat infection, she said not to take anymore but there was no blind panic or booking for early scan.

Horrible to cause you extra stress, as if you'd have done it deliberately.

stubborncow Tue 24-Jan-12 19:51:06

I took ibuprofen early in the first trimester with DD.
I thought what I had was bad pre-period pains but it seems they were actually implantation pains.

My DD is a bright and beautiful nearly 4 year old now and I had a very easy pregnancy and birth.

I don't think there is any point telling you not to worry at all but I think the evidence that others have provided and my own experience should, I hope, dampen your panic and help you calm down.

I would expect all will be fine.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

wonkylegs Tue 24-Jan-12 19:54:54

Make a complaint
1) that's not the way to speak to an anxious pregnant lady / patient
2) her information is complete bollocks

NSAIDs (ibroprofen is one of these)although not ideal in pregnancy are only a total no no in 3rd trimester due to something in the baby's heart not closing at the right time.
Here is a proper medical article on the subject - www.nelm.nhs.uk/en/NeLM-Area/Evidence/Drugs-in-Pregnancy/Use-of-non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs-NSAIDs-in-pregnancy/
I had a lot of pain treatment during pregnancy due to a pre- existing condition - I've been through the INS and outs of every med available to me and the potential effects - please don't worry

peeriebear Tue 24-Jan-12 19:55:36

In my ibu pack it just says 'consult your doctor before taking in first trimester'
I have taken some before I knew I was pg (I am 10wks on thurs) and also nailed a whole bottle of Polish sipping vodka in one evening before I realised I was pg! What a horrid scaremongering woman, I hope you tell them when you go in.

Tildabewildered Tue 24-Jan-12 20:06:02

Thank you so much for your replies, they are making me feel a bit better. I just wish the nurse hadn't told me any of this, (although I suppose I did ask if it was an issue, in fairness), she could have waited til my scan, she nearly gave me a bloody heart attack. As though the first few weeks aren't hard enough, and she had my notes in front of her, she can see that I've had 3 early pregnancy losses already.
Well, there's nothing I can do about it now, so I guess that the best choice is to try and put it out of my mind as much as I can...thanks again for the support, you lovely lot.

Tildabewildered Tue 24-Jan-12 20:07:56

Oh, and yes - I will be making a complaint. Quite a vigorous one.

tardisjumper Tue 24-Jan-12 20:13:57

Look, the way i htink about it is half of pregnancies in this coutry are unplanned and people will have been:
eating pate
drinking\
smoking
taking over the counter drugs

with gay abandon. And the vast vast vast majority of babies are planned.

The reason for the panic ( I learned when doing degree) is that ANYTHING can be mutagenic potentially. So people cover their arses basically. Even if somethign was wrong it could be that barbequed chicken you ate (sorry if that is unsympathetic!)

tardisjumper Tue 24-Jan-12 20:15:54

* not planned I mean fine!!!!!!! wine

Hi Tilda,
hope all is well and you're getting your scan soon (if not already!)
I just wanted to add, that I was recently looking for something else on the internet, and discovered that SIGN (the scottish equivalent of NICE, and very sensible!!) recommend ibuprofen as a treatment for migraine in pregnant women in their first and second trimester. So... while obviously, no mediation can ever be said to be 100%, they obviously didn't have that many concerns if this is their advice!

good luck!

MrsLister Sun 29-Jan-12 13:50:52

She sounds like a bad, bad dick. What a totally irresponsible thing to say to an anxious mum-to-be!!!

I am sure everything will be fine - sounds like arse-covering to me as tardisjumper says.

Good luck - will be thinking of you

saltyair Sun 29-Jan-12 16:09:36

For the first couple of weeks the baby gets all of its nutrients from the egg sac - it often isn't yet embedded properly and there is no transfer of anything via a cord or placenta. I hope you do complain, that lady needs a different bedside manner if she is going to be in contact with members of the public who are already hormonal messes a bit anxious...

Happenstance Sun 29-Jan-12 17:49:09

what a lovely woman she sounds, don't worry i was taking co-codamol and ibuprofen for a bad hip when i found i was pregnant, resulting DD is currently sitting on my knee, just ignore this woman and if possible request a different nurse.

SoozyWoozy Sun 29-Jan-12 18:23:58

The BNF (drug bible for the medical world) says:

^Pregnancy

Most manufacturers advise avoiding the use of NSAIDs during pregnancy or avoiding them unless the potential benefit outweighs the risk. NSAIDs should be avoided during the third trimester because use is associated with a risk of closure of fetal ductus arteriosus in utero and possibly persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. In addition, the onset of labour may be delayed and its duration may be increased.^

No mention of first trimester there! And also, when drugs are 'manufacturers advise avoid' roughly translates as 'manufacturers do not want to be held responsible for any problems which trace back to their product so say avoid so you can't sue them' wink

HTH

Suzy x

Same as stubborn cow - thought it was horrendous period pains, must have been implantation, took LOADS of ibruprofen and I was 4 weeks by then. She's currently shouting at her brother smile

Oops I wasn't calling anyone a stubborn cow, I meant stubborncow!

nearlymumofone Mon 30-Jan-12 01:50:39

Try not to worry.

With DC1 I was told I couldn't get pregnant (due to medical reasons), so I had an operation under general anaesthetic, a full dose of ibuprofen, cocodamol, otehr prescribed drugs which are big no nos if pregnant every day then local anaesthetic and only did a pregnancy test a week after I was due (obviously got my BFP then!!). I worried a bit about all the previous things I'd taken but my gp actually told me at the time not to worry and that it's unlikely that any of that would have affected the development of the baby. It didn't DC1 is 18 months, couldn't be more perfect and is currently keeping me awake all night with his bad cold (hence the last night post).

So, I know it's hard but try not to worry. And good luck.

(I am good at giving this advice but am such a worrier- currenlty pg with dc2 and am 10 weeks and worry about the pregnancy every day!!).

Rhinestone Mon 30-Jan-12 03:06:45

Was going to write pretty much exactly what saltyair wrote. Please don't worry about it, she was talking bollocks.

oikopolis Mon 30-Jan-12 03:24:34

Tilda just adding my voice to the chorus, NSAIDs are a problem because they can thin blood, and therefore make nonimplantation/early mc slightly more likely.

I've never heard of a deformity risk, certainly not in the first month when you've barely got more than some cells dividing, and all nutrients are coming from the little sac! What a stupid stupid woman that nurse is, and what a power trip she must be on if that's what she goes around saying to pregnant women...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now