Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why do midwives lie on your notes?

(153 Posts)
banana87 Tue 08-Nov-11 20:02:18

Saturday night I went to hospital because I was having contractions, 7 min apart and had a huge wet patch in my underwear. Nothing came of it and I was sent home.

I've just read my notes and MW wrote:

Fundal height 42cm (she never measured me!!)
Mild contractions (my ass)
Fluid size of 50p in underwear (ummm...so most of my underwear is the size of a 50p??)

Then tonight I saw my consultant. He wrote:

Fundal height 39cm (never measured)
No contractions ( I specifically said I've been having contractions on and off)

WHY???!!!

frankiebuns Tue 01-Apr-14 10:02:25

My first experience was like this! I knew I got to 9cm before my body gave up in my notes it says I got to 7cm, the night before I was induced I was on the ward started having little contractions midwife felt my stomach son was sideways head down looking across me, she asked if I had had a scan recemtly I said no she shrugged and said never mind then he subsequently got stuck sideways coming out, also didnt get drugs for pain relief for 72hrs after c section, although they said they did, my birth notes were left on the side and never looked at the drip was turned up on full for 14 hours although I was having strong contractions in my back for 14hours was told to stay still as my movements made it difficult to monitor contractions, roz love it hurts! Oh and never got antibiotics after c section although it was said I got tablets for 5 days afterwards! Only thing I got was volterol once. I told one midwife I wanted to go home as id get better care at home.

When my DS was born, MW told me he was 8lb4oz.

When we had his heel pricks done, they lady said "Oh wow, that's unusual your son must be feeding very well, he's put on weight rather than lost." I asked how much he weighed she said 7lb12 hmm so i sad he had lost then, no his notes said he was born weighing 7lb8oz.
So non of us knew his actual birth weight! We only guess what she wrote down was wrong and what she said was true as it would have been unusual to gain weight. I was very annoyed.

I've since had my DSs medical records requested and they are... AWFUL. unproffessional to say the least "Teen mother just about coping" hmm cheers then I think I did damn well breastfeeding a baby that woke every hour thanks!! Nothing to do with my age. angry

allisgood1 Sun 30-Mar-14 22:18:36

I'll take a dr any day over a midwife. They seem less fussed about what pain relief you want while midwives have their own agenda funny that the "anti epidural" ones I've come across don't have children
IME of course.

InkleWinkle Sun 30-Mar-14 20:14:33

Still relevant obviously though.

When I was in labour with DD2 the midwife said 'oh your notes say last time you gave birth on all fours'

Em...nope!

OwlCapone Sun 30-Mar-14 19:03:05

This is a zombie thread that's been resurrected twice since 2011.

PicandMinx Sun 30-Mar-14 18:59:30

I agree with you AveryJessup. IME, some of the midwives and HV that I had the misfortune to meet in a personal and professional capacity were so jaw-droppingly cruel, heartless, cold, dismissive and so lacking in sympathy and empathy, that I began to think that only sadistic individuals decided to become HCP "with women".

It was clear to me that so many of them were not cut out to work with women. Why so many of them remained in a profession where they appeared to hate every moment is beyond me. Perhaps some of them got a thrill out of making a women beg for an epidural, or promising pain relief but having no intention of providing it.

What really upset me was the fact that not one of them would apologise, even when presented with evidence of their appalling behaviour. I resigned as a student midwife as I couldn't face going home after every shift knowing that I failed to stop the cruelty. I couldn't face the bullying. When I mentioned that perhaps we could be kinder and more caring, I was laughed out of the staff room.

zirca Sun 30-Mar-14 16:38:54

I have to say that you have all confirmed for me why I've opted for a hospital 40min away rather than the closer 20min one. My notes from my previous birth were accurate, the staff were insanely busy but always professional, caring and helpful.

Oblomov Sun 30-Mar-14 16:20:55

My notes were nonsense and I looked at the front of the file to make sure they were mine!!
It never occurred to me to make a complaint. Too late now.

AveryJessup Sun 30-Mar-14 16:14:11

It's ironic to me that midwives are supposed to be the 'female-friendly' side of the medical profession, on your side to advocate for you and more patient-focused than the obstetricians / doctors generally. Yet as these experiences show they can be the worst for ignoring women and not listening to their needs or minimizing them.

I had a previous MMC before having my DS and the midwife who took my notes wrote that it had ended at 8 weeks, no info that it was actually a missed miscarriage that happened at almost 12 weeks and involved me being admitted via A & E overnight to the gynae ward. Cue lovely comment from a bitch of a HV after my son was born 'oh you must have not even known you were pregnant at only 8 weeks!' That was the first I heard of what the midwife had written down. I was so shocked when the HV said it to me and told her what had actually happened. She didn't even apologise. What an awful comment to make a.) she had my info wrong and upset me about what had been a traumatic event and b.) even if the pregnancy had ended at 'only' 8 weeks it would still have been a hard thing to go through.

I don't know why HCPs whose primary role is patient-facing care, people who have no other function in the healthcare system except to care for patients (unlike doctors who also do research and did not always go into medicine for the caring aspect of the job) are so disinterested in caring for their patients.

Blueberry234 Sun 30-Mar-14 15:48:20

My notes last time were a piece of fiction and my care this time has been so different, the midwife shows me after each entry, in fact my care this time has been amazing.

duvetfan Sun 30-Mar-14 15:31:21

Sorry to hear that. I asked to get mine corrected. I had a great experience except one horrid midwife who wrote that I decided to bottle feed as I attempted to give qhim a bottle as he hadn't fed. The bottle didn't work and I breastfed for 11 months. I recently had my booking for this pregnancy and they asked if I had stitches. I replied yes for a small graze.they looked up my notes and sure enough it said small graze..so it depends who is filling them in. I am a bit bolder this time so I would challenge it. Sorry for rambling.

Trojanhouse Sun 30-Mar-14 14:28:14

I checked my notes and realised that the midwife had stated that I had pnd and that I had previously had pnd.
I did not have pnd and this was my first child.
When I queried the midwife, she admitted that she had made a mistake.
I insisted that the records were amended and that the consultant witnessed and signed the records

BoffinMum Sun 30-Mar-14 14:12:33

Bloody hell, stinking bishop. Words fail me.

Wow. I thought I was the only one! On my notes they put the reason for my EMCS with twins was 'failure to labour'. Er, no. It was 16 hours of cock ups on their parts including sending me into hypocontractions, one of the twins' heart rates going all over the shop, refusing to believe I was ready to push (when they finally condescended to check I was 10cm), THREE different ultrasound monitors not working, me being unmonitored for hours, me actually being forgotten (there was no record of me being there) for hours etc etc.

I was asked to sign, didn't, complained twice in writing, including to the trustees, and never heard a dicky bird. This when we endured a whole hour when we thought one of the twins was dead.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Sun 30-Mar-14 13:55:11

Everything on mine was wrong too, my name was spelt 5 different ways even though it is a very common name with a completely normal spelling, think of a name like Emily Smith being spelt wrong repeatedly in different ways.... My baby's name was also spelt wrong on his wrist tag which is also a very ordinary name....

Sweetpea86 Sun 30-Mar-14 13:40:19

This is an old post but a good one! and never even had throught of any thing like this happening how scary!

BoffinMum Sun 30-Mar-14 13:18:22

I've generally had good notes apart from once with DC2 when they mixed my urine sample up with someone else's and tried to admit me as an emergency with pre-eclampsia, which I didn't have. Obviously the other woman did so I made a fuss on her behalf, but even then I was treated like a slightly awkward patient!

EnlightenedOwl Sat 29-Mar-14 20:12:53

Don't forget midwives now are direct entry. That is they do not have nursing training. So there will be medical conditions they haven't heard of, they will know next to nothing of chronic conditions such as epilepsy, asthma etc (the patient will be better informed)

wispaxmas Sat 29-Mar-14 18:10:43

I get that mistakes happen and midwives are under loads of pressure, but the thing that got me with my booking in was that it seemed the midwife was touting her own opinion about natural birth and ignoring my clearly stated wishes. Completely unacceptable. It was at booking in, there's no way she was just confusing me we another patient on a busy labour ward.

And a different community midwife ignored me telling her that my asthma had been getting progressively worse in second trimester, and waved it off as being unrelated to pregnancy even though my asthma has been perfectly controlled for years and years on my steady dose of steroids. Two days later I ended up in hospital having a major attack, and have since had my steroid dosage doubled and the asthma nurse at my GP surgery tells me that 1/3 of asthmatic women will experience worsened symptoms during pregnancy and they're supposed to be placed under consultant care. I'm happy not being under consultant care, but I do feel like the fact that my hospital is really understaffed might have effected the way in which I was dealt with. So now if I end up with breathing difficulties in labour I fully expect the midwife to look at my notes and see nothing relating to my worsening asthma and be flat out surprised!

ToriaPumpkin Sat 29-Mar-14 15:59:37

There was only one stupid comment on my last lot of notes. When DS was taken away to SCBU due to low blood sugar, not feeding and not having passed meconiun the midwife wrote "Mother seems distressed at baby's absence" no shit! I'd just had a paediatric consultant grilling me about his 'normal' behaviour (he was 10 hours old) refusing to answer my questions and flouncing off with my baby!

This time a student midwife wrote in my notes that my PGP is resolved. The next two entries are from the physiotherapist and GP and relate to me being given codeine and crutches for said PGP.

Still nothing compared to some of these stories though!

alita7 Sat 29-Mar-14 15:22:08

some of these errors might come from seeing lots of different women and confusing them (not an excuse)

but some of the lies are unecessary - why Say someone slept well if they didn't, it's not the midwives fault if they tried to help the situation so why not just be honest it's important, if you have slept well and then sleep all day it might indicate a problem but if you didn't sleep then they'd know why you then slept all day...

FoodieMum3 Sat 29-Mar-14 15:09:34

This doesn't sound like a big deal but in early labour on my dd1 I was uncomfortable all night and did not sleep at all.
I read my notes later and the midwife (who had been speaking to me alot of the night) had written that I w pas comfortable and slept all night. hmm

Nothing in comparison to the stories here though.

elQuintoConyo Sat 29-Mar-14 14:45:36

My notes state I had a blood transfusion immediately after ds' birth. Er.... no, I didn't. I've no idea where the fuck they got that idea from!

ImBrian Sat 29-Mar-14 13:22:29

With my last dd I was bleeding during labour and my contractions had no gap in between. My midwife refused to do anything but luckily I had my friend who is also a mw there with me. She kicked off and I ended up in theatre due to an aph and possible placenta abruption. My complaints about bleeding and pain were not in my notes. Same midwife also refused to believe that my waters had broken which led there to be over 50 hours between them going and birth. Again not recorded on my notes. This time I'm getting my red pen out and my friend will be my birth partner again.

alita7 Sat 29-Mar-14 12:00:59

wow this is shocking. on my booking in appointment I sat next to my midwife and could read everything and the only mistakes were silly ones in the bit about family conditions and illnesses as the box was too small and she hadn't heard of one of them so she some of what she wrote was inaccurate but it wasn't her fault.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now