Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How many of you have conceived a girl via sex on ovulation day?

(21 Posts)
newlywedsongbird Tue 11-Oct-11 16:53:49

I've been following the Shettles method for a couple of months now, but last night got carried away with DH, ignored it all, and had sex on the same day as my positive ovulation test (silly natural instincts! smile )

I was just wondering how many people still conceived a girl even though they had sex on ovulation day.

Of course, in reality, having a gorgeous baby boy would be no bad thing, I'm just curious as I would so like a daughter...

KatAndKit Tue 11-Oct-11 17:09:23

I have said this on other threads but I'll say it again:
Having a baby is not like ordering from the Argos catalogue.

None of these so called methods are proven.

helpmabob Tue 11-Oct-11 17:10:55

What is the shettles method?

newlywedsongbird Tue 11-Oct-11 17:14:40

I know that KatandKit, sorry for the silly question. I meant it in more of a 'general curiosity' lighthearted way

Helpmabob, Shettles method is having sex 2-4 before ovulation to allow some of the male sperm to die out, leaving the weaker but longer-living female sperm with a chance. nothing proven medically, but thought I'd give it half a chance. Until last night...when I couldn't be bothered to think about it

KatAndKit Tue 11-Oct-11 17:28:14

What you are doing by following this method is missing your two most fertile days. This reduces your chances significantly of having a baby of either sex. You will be ttc longer and will not be guaranteed a girl. If you are happy to have a baby of either sex, then you should ditch this method.

farfallarocks Tue 11-Oct-11 17:32:04

kat I am so with you on this, threads like this totally make my teeth itch.
FFS
Be grateful you can conceive a healthy baby and leave it at that.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 11-Oct-11 17:37:04

what a pile of nonsense, the man decides the sex of the baby and it all just comes down to luck.

I have a daughter, conceived three days before my period was due when i thought I was no longer fertile, and I am pregnant again, with a girl, and this time I conceived three days after my period finished.

I really don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it.

PenguinsAreThePoint Tue 11-Oct-11 17:45:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueKangaroo22 Tue 11-Oct-11 17:46:33

On top on ovulation day, concieved a girl.

enoughvitriolnow Tue 11-Oct-11 19:36:23

That seems totally uncalled for, Farfallarocks.

OP, I had sex on ovulation day and conceived a girl. It's not impossible.

KatAndKit Tue 11-Oct-11 19:41:18

It isn't uncalled for. People should be trying for a baby, not for a particular sex.
I will have no idea which day's spermies fertilised my egg as I had sex four times that week. Most people ttc are surely having regular sex so it would be hard to prove that sex on a certain day will produce a boy or a girl.
Just try to actually get pregnant and then you'll have a 50/50 chance.
If having a girl is the be all and end all, reconsider your decision to have a child.

enoughvitriolnow Tue 11-Oct-11 19:47:41

People should be doing whatever they want to do, and if they want to post about it on a pregnancy board, fair play to them. It is not the conception board, which would be insensitive. Plus the OP said that her post was lighthearted and she would be delighted with a boy too. Most people have some preference, even if they don't admit it.

MrsApplepants Tue 11-Oct-11 19:50:35

I followed this method (just for fun, didn't really mind either boy or girl) and conceived a girl through sex 3 days before ovulation, just as it says. Not sure if this is just luck though. Oh and using this method didn't take me any longer to conceive, as I fell pregnant the very first month we tried.

addictedtofrazzles Tue 11-Oct-11 20:00:16

Sex on ovulation day, around ovulation and four days before my period (my surprise baby!) = 3 boys here.

I honestly don't think there is rhyme or reason!

Incidentally, 3 very different pregnancies too!

nannyl Tue 11-Oct-11 20:29:09

we tried almost daily from 5 days before ovulation, until 3 days after, including day of ovulation and got a girl...

newlywedsongbird Tue 11-Oct-11 20:29:56

Thanks enoughvitriolnow, that's just what I meant - I would be so happy to add to my family with a baby of either sex, I intentionally avoided the conception thread with this post, it was meant in a light hearted/curious way and it was just a bit of pondering during my afternoon coffee break. Having a girl is definitely not my be-all-and-end-all, I just think it would be nice to have both. Love my DS to bits and was definitely not disappointed in any way when he arrived

Thanks to those who answered the question smile

Nicknackpaddywack16 Fri 22-Jan-16 09:23:19

Did you have a boy or girl

shelbTa Fri 22-Jan-16 17:42:29

Couldn't read and run - Ignore the preaching / snidey comments OP - some people like to get on their soapboxes on here. It's meant to be an open forum. Good luck with it all.

X

breezeharbour Fri 22-Jan-16 17:45:38

I had a girl, I'm not sure about ovulation days but I had an app which gave me my most fertile days and we had sex then?

Artioo2 Fri 22-Jan-16 18:19:51

Everyone who's tracking their ovulation has sex on their most fertile days! Many of us have boys too .... smile

DimpleHands Fri 22-Jan-16 18:54:03

Me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now