Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ICSI/IVF how much resting did you do after ET?

(13 Posts)
koolforcats Fri 15-Jul-11 07:43:00

Hi, I posted this on the conception board but hoped it might get a response on here as I'm guessing that this is where people with successful ICSI/IVF treatments hang out smile

Having had EC on Wednesday, I'll be having my ET on Saturday or soon after.

I guess I'm mostly of the opinion that if it's going to work it's going to work, but I want to do all I can.

After ET, I'm interested to know how much rest people got and if you thought this affected the outcome? I'm planning to take it easy for a few days and am obviously not planning any bungy jumps or the like after that but I'd be interested to know what others did?

Thanks

chuckeyegg Fri 15-Jul-11 08:01:47

I rested loads after ET but it was my final go. (and it worked) Laid in bed watching Black Adder and other comedies to take my mind off things.

Good luck. xx

TopazMortmain Fri 15-Jul-11 08:16:00

Just one day of generally loafing about then got on a plane next morning. smile

kiteflying Fri 15-Jul-11 08:20:37

I rested, but did not just lie in bed as that way I found I would stew and worry. I tried to get out in the sunshine for a relaxing walk, and did things that were just for me. Ate a proper sit down lunch - the works. Played with DD. Laughed at her jokes.
I spent twenty minutes in the morning listening to my natalhypnotherapy CD (IVF Companion has a whole section for "after embryo transfer" that has lots of lovely visualisation stuff) and twenty minutes in the evening doing the same. And I kept a mini-diary, just jotting down feelings and signs/symptoms so that I did not spend too long worrying about whether I "really" felt faint or whether that was a stretchy twinge or a cramp.
I did not do any exercise at all but I did do ordinary housework that did not need any lifting.
I tried to keep floaty not-worried, just happy, feelings going as long as humanly possible as I think anxiety is the thing to really avoid. A quick fix for me was to just lay hands on belly and breathe some love that way.

I probably sound smug, but I am not - it is REALLY hard for me to control my emotions and I found these things were a lifeline or I would have gone insane. Crossing days off a calendar really helped too.
In a previous (failed) cycle I just stayed in bed and knitted and lived in denial, and I think my body just accumulated worry and tension that way, and I never got to think about my little embryos while I actually had them so I was so sad after I lost them that I had not at least blown them a kiss.

With my DD, I had to go back to a high stress job only four days after transfer, so I tried to squeeze the sunshine, love and rest into both ends of the day. Thank goodness she was sticky.

Keep a photo of your embryo with you if you can - especially if you have to go back to work. It helps to be able to focus on your future baby.
I ate lots of almonds and brazil nuts! I have no idea whether this was an old wives tale.

Fluter Fri 15-Jul-11 08:22:35

Not that much. I crashed out when we got home afterwards (but I was shattered after the collection on the Monday, the stress of waiting to see if either egg had fertilised - and it was our only shot at IVF, so only getting two eggs was a bit stressful in itself), and was just generally tired. They didn't even make me lie down for ten minutes after the ET, I got up off the table, got dressed and was walking out 10 minutes after the transfer. I was told that when you are upright, the bed of your uterus is horizontal, so they can't fall out, and if they've been put back in properly, they should be in a spongy sort of environment.

Just listen to your body and I possibly wouldn't do any judo or go swimming smile

I think the 2ww is probably the worst - especially as you can't tell the difference between the cyclogest (or whatever you get), the remains of the drugs, and pregnancy symptoms. I restricted myself to just listing symptoms each day on a calendar, and I confess to having given in and secretly did a POAS the morning of the proper test. Still, shows they're not perfect - I got the faintest of lines, but then 2 hours later the blood test showed an HcG level of 218.

Good luck! (By the way - 2 eggs, both fertilised, both went back, both stuck, twins due October.....)

kiteflying Fri 15-Jul-11 08:27:44

I also did a home test the day before the clinic blood test.

And I forgot to say good luck.

Stay relaxed during the transfer - that is also a big help apparently.

lilbitneurotic Fri 15-Jul-11 08:32:30

Firstly good luck!

I took the day of the transfer off and after that I went back to work, this was on the successful transfer.

Also maybe TMI but one thing I think made a difference was although you are told to have a full bladder for transfer I made sure I wasn't bursting this time round and I think this made a difference but who knows?

galwaygirl Fri 15-Jul-11 08:39:01

I had to travel back home an hour's car journey during which I thought every bump was knocking it out - stopped off in supermarket but then rested on couch for afternoon. After that, no rest but we had a hatching blast put back so had been told it would either implant or not that day. The result is lying in bed here beside me :-)
Best of luck, hope it works out for you x

roisinanna Fri 15-Jul-11 08:58:13

Hi..I have to admit I rested a lot..for one week I did very little. Week two went back to work. Try to plan something nice like a mani pedi or something..the wait is long!! I'm 18weeks and it was first try ... Good luck !

chuckeyegg Fri 15-Jul-11 09:19:39

Just do what feels right for you and don't worry about feeling stressed, I was hugely stressed and it still worked. xx

BagofHolly Fri 15-Jul-11 09:43:01

I was told by my clinic to do nothing at all, rest, lie still, don't eat anything that could upset the tum and avoid ill people. Worked both times!

koolforcats Fri 15-Jul-11 16:03:33

Wow, thanks all for your responses!

chuckeyegg I'm so glad it worked for you - it kind of helps to know that you were stressed and it worked, as it seems impossible to me not to be!

kiteflying you didn't sound at all smug. I found your response really helpful actually, as sitting in bed and knitting sounds just like what I'd planned but now I'm going to relax in the same way that you did on your successful cycle. I have a post transfer relaxation cd too - using it in the morning and evening sounds like a really good idea. Love the idea of the photo too - I'm finding myself thinking about and sending the love to our 6 little embies already, and they're still in a lab at the moment!

Thanks fluter, I know they say that after transfer they can't fall out but your explanation made it a lot clearer to understand why. Aw, twins! Congratulations and all the best for a really happy, healthy pregnancy smile

lilbitneurotic thanks for the advice re the full but not too full bladder - surely it's impossible to relax if you feel fit to burst so I'll definitely be taking your advice!

Galwaygirl you gave me goosebumps with your last sentence, congratulations (on your LO, not the goosebumps!!)

Congratulations roisinanna, wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy too smile

bagofholly thanks too smile

lotuscapri Wed 06-May-15 09:37:13

Hi ladies,
This is my 5th day after embryo transfer snd today i got alot of pending house work. I was wondering if it can effect the conception. I took complete bed rest on first 3 days. My office will start from next monday, any suggestions till then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now