Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

23 weeks, baby doesn't move much any more

(18 Posts)
NeedMoreCakePlse Tue 05-Jul-11 13:39:25

A couple of weeks ago I had several movements a day and one or two proper kicks where I could actually see the bump move (wow that's weird! grin) but i've barely felt any flutterings over the past few days. This is DC1 and I know sometimes you don't feel it at all until now, but it doesn't stop me worrying. Should I be concerned or is baby perhaps just going through a lazy stage?

mousymouse Tue 05-Jul-11 13:42:01

baby is still very small, so it is not unusal at this stage to feel like this. if you are worried at all please call the midwife!

shakeyjake Tue 05-Jul-11 13:45:41

please call your MW

NorthLondonDoulas Tue 05-Jul-11 14:02:12

Some people still havn't even felt their baby move at this stage so it can be difficult to feel him/her properly at the best of times. If you are on the go, moving around and working it can make it even harder. Take a moment (if you can) to just lie back and relax... put the tv on and spend 20mins focusing on your bump - you will probably notice more flutters than you have been aware of. If you are still worried just give your GP a ring, you can go in and they can use the sonicade to listen to baby's heart beat which is often a good indication that everything is ok or not. Good luck and keep us posted.x

I agree with above - they are still so tiny and if you are on the go you might not notice, particularly if they are facing the opposite way to you iyswim. If you are worried I would absolutely pop to the GP or midwife just for reassurance more than anything. All four of mine were totally different in their movements and with DC3 I didn't even know I was pregnant until about 5 weeks before he was born at 28 weeks), and only then because of a scan for something totally unconnected!

wonka Tue 05-Jul-11 14:08:05

Have a really cold drink and sit quietly for half an hour, get checked out for peace of mind

Renaissance227 Tue 05-Jul-11 14:14:11

I had this exact problem last week and the MW sent me straight to my local birth centre to get checked out. It took a while to find the heart beat but they did find it and I was told all is well. Apparently it could be due to lots of factors: stress, heat, tiredness, baby in a new position, etc
It's apparently very normal for this to happen but still a good idea to get checked out anyway. A bonus is that you get to hear the heart beat again! Call your MW. Good luck. smile

Wonka brilliant! I'd forgotten about that. I remember having icecream with one of them and my stomach looked like it was going to erupt afterwards!

KaraJS Tue 05-Jul-11 14:43:05

It's always best to get checked out speak to your mw and see what she thinks

NeedMoreCakePlse Tue 05-Jul-11 14:56:32

Thank you all very much. I have just spoken to my midwife and she said not to be too concerned, it's probably just changed position so that I can't feel as much, it is still quite tiny. She said to rest a while and see if I feel it move and if not to make an appointment to hear the heartbeat and make sure all ok. I'm going to go home from work and try that (I've got some reports to read which I can do later this evening when I'm happy it's all ok!!). I'll let you all know later or tomorrow, thanks again.

NorthLondonDoulas Tue 05-Jul-11 15:03:26

Fantastic! Good luck and your very welcome.x

KaraJS Tue 05-Jul-11 15:17:43

Try eating chocolate and a fizzy drink, that's what we were told before we went for the 4d scan, was supposed to make baby move mire so we could get a good DVD, it worked

NeedMoreCakePlse Wed 06-Jul-11 09:41:21

Thanks everyone. I still didn't feel it move yesterday afternoon so I managed to get in to see my GP at the end of surgery, I am pleased to say she found the heartbeat straight away, and then found mine too so that I absolutely knew it was baby we had heard. After she and DH mopped up my tears smile i went home a very happy and relieved bunny!!
I felt like I'd wasted her time but she said it's not a waste if it reassured me.
If anyone else ever has this don't worry about wasting anyone's time, as others said, please do see your doctor or midwife even if only to put your mind at ease.

Renaissance227 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:44:50

So happy for you that everything was ok. I felt the same last week but it's never a waste of time to make sure your baby is ok.
Big hugs smile

Not a waste of time.

Any change in movements should be monitored. It is correct that some won't have felt any movement yet - but if it is a change for you you should get it checked - which you obviously did.

wonka Wed 06-Jul-11 13:35:06

I'm so delighted everything is fine! Look after yourself

NorthLondonDoulas Wed 06-Jul-11 13:49:59

Thats great - thanks for coming back and updating us all! fab fab fab news!x

sprinkles77 Wed 06-Jul-11 14:04:37

please do not hesitate to get checked if you notice this again. You can go straight to the nearest labour ward for monitoring. They will be very pleased to see you and arrange appropriate follow up (like a scan) if you need it. Don't sit at home worrying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now