Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

hcg levels 58 tuesday - thursday have gone up to 114 - good sign?

(16 Posts)
jadetamsin Fri 01-Jul-11 10:48:13

I posted a question yesturday as i had been bleeding since monday(including small clots but not a heavy period if that makes sense!) (when i got a positive result) and i was told i am miscarrying. I had bloods taken which were 58 tuesday and once again they said thats low and expect the worse.....well my 2nd lot came back today at 114 which must be a good thing right as they havent stayed the same or gone lower!? also the first pregnancy test i took monday was clearblue digi that said 1-2 weeks...took another yesturday which now says 2-3 weeks, hope that doctor was wrong!.

jen6jen Fri 01-Jul-11 11:49:21

hi ya, just 2 let u kno i have had the same experience. i started 2 bleed the day b4 i was due my period with small pinhead clots but a clearblue digi said pos 1-2 wks. i was told by both my gp and hosp tht i would miscarry. at 5 wks they could see a sac on a scan but said it was most likely 2 be filled with blood so i should go home and wait 4 a bleed. they decided last minute 2 take some bloods 2 test 4 hcg levels and they came back much higher than they expected and by the next test they had doubled. after 7 more weeks of bleeding and clotting with and without cramps the pg finally became normal and my little boy is now 14 mnths old and snoring on my knee. good luck. jen. xx

jen6jen Fri 01-Jul-11 11:52:35

just 2 add there was never an explaination 4 the bleeding. xx

outthere Fri 01-Jul-11 12:59:20

In a healthily developing pregnancy your hCG levels should roughly double every 48 hours so I'd say they're about perfect.

Good luck with it all x

serendipity16 Fri 01-Jul-11 13:46:58

Yep those numbers sounds good.

Good luck x

NorthLondonDoulas Fri 01-Jul-11 15:21:47

Hcg levels should double every 48-72 hours so your sound like they are doing perfectly to me!

Very similar story here too... had horrible cramping for about a week and then started to bleed heavily, so took a pregnancy test just to rule pregnancy out and to my surprise it was positive! So went straight to A&E, they took my bloods and my hcg was just 49 and was told that i had miscarried but to go back for repeat bloods in 48hrs just to make sure. We did and they had only risen to 53(had not any where near doubled) so was told as my levels were plateauing they thought it might be ectopic and to go for more bloods again in another 48hrs to see if hcg levels were following the same pattern. Again we went and before we got the results, this Dr commented that my levels hadn't risen enough last time and she thought i had infact miscarried - when we rang later for the results to her surprise they had risen to 91 and as i was still having bleeding and dull aches the topic of ectopic came up again so they booked me in for an ultrasound, but i had to wait 10 days for my levels to be high enough for them to see something. So 10 days later we went for the scan and all they could see was an empty gestational sac measuring that of a 5 and a half week pregnancy (it is quite common at this stage to not see a fetal pole), so yet again they took more bloods and rebooked me for another ultrasound in another 10 days. We went (this was last wednesday) and again all that could be seen was the empty sac, so they checked my hcg results from last time which were 1182 ish. The lady was confused so called for the head sonographer to come and have a look... after a very long time he thinks he could see 'something' on the very outher edge of the sac (so far on the edge that it looked like it was on the outside of the sac) it was so hard to see that he couldn't measure it properly as it blended in so well to the other grey pixels of the scan image and commented that i had an abnormal shapped gestational sac and 95% of sonographers would have missed it. So again i have been asked to go back in another 2 weeks in the hope that he can see things more clearly!

Sorry for the long story, i tried to keep it as brief as possible but basically i just wanted to say that things aren't always as they seem, early pregnancy can be a very tricky thing, so please stay as positive as possible!

Also another posibility... when i was about 8weeks pregnant with my second daughter i had horrible horrible pain and really heavy bleeding and clotting so rushed straight to A&E, they performed an ultrasound and there was my baby jerking around with a flickering heart beat! They concluded that i mast have been carrying twins and lost one.

Good luck, stay positive and please keep us informed.x.x

jadetamsin Sat 02-Jul-11 10:59:14

Thank you for all your replies I feel much more at ease now smile I had the doctor from the early pregnancy unit call me and i have a second scan monday at 12 to see if they can see the sac or anything yet (dunno why they have put it so soon again as was only last week that nothing could be seen...hope that changes....i think id be 4-5weeks now so still too early?)

NorthLondonDoulas - Thank you for sharing your current situation with me, early pregnancy is defently a hard time! Also my mum had the same with me she had twins and lost my twin early on...so that could be what happened...it just concerned me as the 2 clots i had just didnt seem right..im spotting again now but nothing heavy at all, just want it to stop. I will keep you updated. Thanks alot xx

serendipity16 Sat 02-Jul-11 13:55:38

Monday may still be a little early to see anything as they don't normally see anything until your hcg levels are over 1000, so don't panic if you don't see anything. A scan on Wednesday or Thursday may have been better.
Good luck x

KaraJS Sat 02-Jul-11 14:12:53

Yeah they told me 6 weeks b4 they could see anything, get them to keep taking your bloods every couple of days to c if they are still rising good luck

NorthLondonDoulas Sat 02-Jul-11 15:27:46

Your very welcome! My bleeding went on for 4 weeks so fingers crossed it will stop soon for you as it sounds like its already calming down. I agree that monday may be a bit too soon if it was only a week ago you had the last one and as serendipity said your hcg levels have to be over 1000 to see anything clearly on an ultrasound. But fingers crossed you at least might be able to see a small gestational sac this time. If they do, ask them to measure it and then ask for a repeat scan in 2 weeks. Measure the sac again then, as generally the gestational sac grows approx 1mm each day so that might be a good indication for you that things are progressing along even if a yolk sac or fetal pole cant be seen yet. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, please keep us updated.x

jadetamsin Sat 02-Jul-11 20:15:52

NorthLondonDoulas - Ahh ok, well i dont expect to see much but like you say even a small sac will put my mind to rest a little i guess as nothing was seen before. I am worrying again now though as the bleeding calmed down alot...but i slept with my partner last night and its started again (feel like an idiot as if i should have known not to?) its quite red but not bright red like a medium period i suppose only need one pad a day though still. no pains yet. Just wish the bleeding would stop so i could relax a little! sad Having bloods done again mon aswell so that will give another good indicator on how things are x

andypandypudding Sat 02-Jul-11 21:04:16

Just wanted to share my story.. I had on and off bleeding plus little clots with my first pregnancy for 10 days or so at about 4 weeks pregnant. Had my Hcg levels checked and they were doubling every 48 hours as they should but I did still miscarry at 6 weeks... I know this isn't a positive story to share but I was told many times that the pregnancy was ok as hcg levels were rising and then losing the pregnancy was almost harder to accept. I have now gone on to have 5 healthy children with no more miscarriages though..

NorthLondonDoulas Sat 02-Jul-11 21:11:56

The head guy that i saw said that my bleeding was probably due to the implantation site and also the corpus luteum healing (the area on the ovary where the egg was released). Having more bleeding after sex doesn't necessarily mean its come from your uterus as thats higher but the movement can dislodge some blood that has settled by your cervix so dont panic about that too much - i understand its not nice though. At least having your bloods done again on monday will show you something! Dont forget that not everyone's Hcg levels double every 48 hours... they average between 48-72 hours (in this pregnancy mine were doubling every 63 or something like that). Let me know.x.x

serendipity16 Sun 03-Jul-11 08:42:11

The bleeding after sex could be cervical erosion which is quite common i think, so not coming from around the baby.
Good luck for your scan & let us know how you get on.

serendipity16 Mon 04-Jul-11 18:21:26

Just wondering how you got on at your scan today?

NorthLondonDoulas Mon 04-Jul-11 18:54:20

Have you got the resuts from todays bloods yet? Have been thinking of you.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now