Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

10 weeks pregnant - brown discharge on wiping

(43 Posts)
womanwholivedinashoe Sat 11-Jun-11 13:45:58

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and for the last couple of days had some very very small amounts of blood in clear discharge but yesterday this turned to one small amount of red blood on wiping and since then has been small amounts of continous brown discharge. Mostly on wiping but also small amounts on panty liner (TMI) sorry. Spoke to GP yesterday who said to do bed rest which I haven't moved except for going to the loo despite having a 7 month old, luckily I have a fab dh. Community midwives said they won't deal with me until 12 weeks but if concerned go to a&e sad. Anyone else been through this, should I think the worst???

LadyWithNoManors Sat 11-Jun-11 13:51:10

I had bleeding in my first pregnancy in the early stages. TBH I didn't even go to my GP as I knew there was nothing that could be done if I was miscarrying. I decided to let nature take it's course.
Luckily it stopped at around 12 weeks and I went on to have a normal healthy pregnancy.
I think it is more common than you think.
I know it's difficult but apart from taking your GP's advice and having bed rest there is nothing you can do.

cjbartlett Sat 11-Jun-11 13:52:03

fingers crossed for you
hope you're able to rest

jetgirl Sat 11-Jun-11 13:54:15

You should ask your gp to refer you to the early pregnancy unit. They can then scan you. I had this at 11 weeks, all was fine, but it can be a symptom of mc. I would be annoyed that your gp hasn't taken your concern seriously, tbh.

Good luck

womanwholivedinashoe Sat 11-Jun-11 13:54:19

Thanks guys I've heard its quite common and TBH this is my 6th pregnancy so you'd think i'd be more chilled but i'm not sad, you try and relax but really you're just lying here thinking about it. Girlie movie time I think and a nice cuppa smile

lollystix Sat 11-Jun-11 15:55:34

I had this off and on with ds3. It was implantation bleeding at 7 weeks. Went to epu at hospital and got scan and all fine. Call the mw and expess your concerns but if it's any comfort it sounds very similar to my experience. Ds3 all fine by the way.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 11-Jun-11 16:05:28

I had this at about 8 weeks with my daughter. it lasted a couple of days and then stopped and everything was fine- I think it must have been implantation bleeding. My mum told me she had it too with me. BUt you could go to A and E and ask for a scan?

womanwholivedinashoe Sat 11-Jun-11 17:18:22

Thanks ladies, if TBH I think i'm too scared to go for the scan as i'm worried about what it might show. I haven't had any heavy bleeding which is a plus but also know that the spotting could be a sign of early mc and because i've been doing so much recently i'm blaming myself sad. But your stories have made me feel much better, thank you and yes I will go get it checked out if it continues. I'm at the point where i.m scared to go to the loo sad

Littlepic Sat 11-Jun-11 19:17:02

Hi,

You my have seen my thread already. I'm 11 weeks pregnant. I've had small amounts of bleeding/spotting at 5 weeks, 8 weeks and now today at 11 weeks. I've had early scans one of which I paid for privately. My suggestion is that it did make me feel better to have the scans. Even though you are right and there if nothing they can do if you are having an mc it's still reassuring to see your bean.
I suggest you ask you midwife/GP to refer you to the early pregnancy scanning unit.

I know exactly how you are feeling and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you xxx

womanwholivedinashoe Sat 11-Jun-11 20:26:16

Thanks littlepic i've just spoken to my friend who is an a&e nurse and she said I could pop there to see her but they would only be able to make an epu appt for the Monday as its out of hours. Brown discharge has increased now so pantyliner was saturated sad but YES I will force my GP to refer me on Monday as i'm freaking quite a bit now so its probably not helping. Seeing my bean would be beautiful and i'm praying that all is ok. Thank you xxx

Littlepic Sat 11-Jun-11 20:36:13

Do you have any cramping pains?

saltyseadog Sat 11-Jun-11 20:36:54

Hi WHLIAS. I've had this with all three of my pregnancies (currently 8w with dc3). It is really worrying, but EPU have been very relaxed about it, saying its pretty common. I've found going for scans reassuring. Hope you can get an appointment for Monday.

womanwholivedinashoe Sat 11-Jun-11 20:42:36

Thanks SSD and Littlepic no cramping but feels quite heavy low down sad. I'm sure i'll get an appt for Monday in fact i'll push for it and in a way I wish i'd pushed for it on Friday sad

jetgirl Sun 12-Jun-11 09:05:22

How are you today WWLIAS?

womanwholivedinashoe Sun 12-Jun-11 10:17:07

Morning, Light bleeding still, more of a reddy brown and teeny clots on wiping sad much less discharge than yesterday and none on pad just when wiping though.

Littlepic Sun 12-Jun-11 11:29:08

Morning WHLIAS,
That sounds positive. I hope you join my lead and take your laptop, duvet and hot drink to the sofa. I think another day chilling out is called for smile

lolajane2009 Sun 12-Jun-11 12:40:49

i had this before 12 weks and so did my mother. I have a low placenta and so did she... could be a link. i wouldnt worry unless it is copious amounts, red or painful. I remember crying all night the first time it happened... now 26 weeks + 2 days. I also had it at 14 weeks and was a uti so might be good to check it out if painful.

saltyseadog Sun 12-Jun-11 13:03:59

Yep - that's a good point lolajane - I got tested for a UTI when I first went with bleeding.

Hope you're taking it easy WHLIAS.

shellmc Sun 12-Jun-11 20:43:09

Hope you are okay, FX for you!! xxx

womanwholivedinashoe Sun 12-Jun-11 23:42:49

Thanks Littlepic I have done nothing but stay in bed all day. Afraid bleeding is worse though so worried even more hence not being able to sleep. Will camp down at GPs first thing tomorrow for my referral to EPU. lolajane2009 thank you for your story it gives me hope, like you I haven't stopped crying today sad Will let you all know how I get on, cross all your fingers for us xxx

pregnantmimi Mon 13-Jun-11 02:20:29

Hope you get on ok just wanted to add I bled red blood for 10 hours had a scan at 5 weeks all fine happened again at 11 weeks had scan all fine. 13 weeks now same happened to mum and sisterx

Littlepic Mon 13-Jun-11 09:38:39

I hope all goes well for you today. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you xxx

womanwholivedinashoe Mon 13-Jun-11 17:30:46

Ladies, saw GP first thing this morning. He immediately referred me to EPU was on the phone to them in front of me, telling them it was Urgent and YET sad no spaces to see me. Which still would have happened if i'd have gone to a&e the waiting sucks sad. Still waiting for a call from EPU for appt tomorrow, well i'm sure they'll now call tomorrow, DH is getting frantic now. Maternity services here seem to stink and its only when you have a problem that you realise this. Moving to Norfolk in 4 weeks (I know!!!) so hoping services will be better, see I am being positive.
I did a thread on here a couple of weeks ago entitled 8 weeks and feeling flutterings and i'm still feeling them which I have to believe is a good sign smile or a lot of wind lol.
Thanks Littlepic xxx

Littlepic Mon 13-Jun-11 19:26:11

Oh how irritating, you must be feeling really frustrated. How has the bleeding been today? Try to keep calm and relaxed tonight and hopefully you'll get the scan tomorrow. Keep us posted xxx

bilblio Mon 13-Jun-11 20:28:00

I had a heavy bleed at 11 weeks with DD. I was told to rest and as I was due a scan a few days later. I was offered an earlier one, but the bleeding had eased a bit.
12 week scan went well, at my 20 week scan they discovered I had a low lying placenta, which probably accounted for the bleed. I had been working very hard, it was New Year's Day and I was working a 15 hour shift.
DD is 3 now.

I'm pregnant again, and I had another bleed at 17, but again I've just found out I have a low lying placenta again.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow that it's something similar with you.

jetgirl Mon 13-Jun-11 21:58:48

Will be thinking of you tomorrow WWLIAS x

katherine2008 Tue 14-Jun-11 11:03:55

Hope all is going ok today - fx x

womanwholivedinashoe Tue 14-Jun-11 12:43:52

Thank you soooooo much Ladies, your support means so much to me. Appt is 2.20pm today. Fingers crossed xx

beebee1978 Tue 14-Jun-11 14:27:43

Good luck, I been thru same symthoms so know how anxious u must be feeling xx

pregnantmimi Tue 14-Jun-11 17:05:29

Hi have they got you in for a scan yet? I had bleeding last night and cramps went doctors this morning just had a scan baby fine Im 13 weeks but had bleeding at 5 and 11 had scans both times. I had to go to a different hospital but the doctor booked me in straight away was in a bit of a state when I wentx

womanwholivedinashoe Tue 14-Jun-11 17:16:00

Hi Ladies,

I'm afraid its bad news sad we have lost our little peanut, the scan could only show the baby sac sad. Need to go back next week for confirmation of mc as sac is small for dates but 90% confirmed choking back the tears as I write. But I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your lovely support through this and I wish you all beautiful pregnancies and even beautifuler (if thats a word) babies. Love to you all xxx

excitedLJ Tue 14-Jun-11 17:19:56

God bless you WWLIAS. I just read this thread 5 mins ago and was so hoping you would be back soon with good news. I'm so sad to hear your news and wish you and your family well x

spatchcock Tue 14-Jun-11 17:58:46

Oh NO. So, so sorry to hear that. sad

Have a good cry and let it all out. If you need support come back here.

Sending lots of healing vibes your way xx

shellmc Tue 14-Jun-11 18:19:53

Big Hugs to you ((((((((hugs))))))) , bless you i hope you are okay.
xxxx

jetgirl Tue 14-Jun-11 18:38:28

So sorry to hear that WWLIAS sad A good friend of mine lost twins in the same way at 11 weeks back in January. We're hear for you when you want to vent x

womanwholivedinashoe Tue 14-Jun-11 19:33:01

Thanks ladies you are all so lovely, have moved my vent onto pregnancy loss as its not fair on you lovely people to moan about my loss on here sad but thank thank thank you all xxxx

Littlepic Tue 14-Jun-11 20:25:59

WWLIAS, I've only just picked up on this thread today. I'm so sorry to hear your very sad news. I hope you are ok and you are totally entiled to a massive rant. I will be thinking of you. xxxxxxxxxxxx

bilblio Tue 14-Jun-11 20:44:25

WWLIAS - So sorry to hear that. sad Take care and look after yourself xxx

saltyseadog Tue 14-Jun-11 23:46:45

WWLIAS, so sorry to hear your news sad. Thinking of you.

pregnantmimi Wed 15-Jun-11 02:58:08

womanwholivedinashoe heart goes out to you it could have been any off us its such sad news take care and hope you have lots of support around you and do lots of nice things for yourselfxxx

katherine2008 Wed 15-Jun-11 10:24:42

so sorry to hear your sad news - i had a mmc in December and am now 19 weeks pg again. the m/c thread was a huge support to me, and I hope you find strength and peace. good luck. x

womanwholivedinashoe Wed 15-Jun-11 15:41:38

Thank you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sniffybobs Wed 15-Jun-11 16:18:58

Try not to think about it too much (easier said than done, i know). I had the sameat 11 weeks, but had to wait 2 days for appointment at EPU. Got there, they did a scan and everything was fine, now 26 weeks, although i have bled on and off throughout and the only explaination i've had is you just one of those women who bleeds'. Keep us posted on how it goes and keep smiling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now