Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnancy and pre existing tinnitus

(11 Posts)
Pebbles27 Tue 07-Jun-11 11:23:34

Hi just found out i am expecting and have pre existing tinnitus just trying to find any1 who can give their experience with this and if the tinnitus got worse during pregnancy and subsides after birth,am so worried of the long term effects.

cheekeymonkey Tue 07-Jun-11 14:32:19

Have you been referred to the hearing clinic?

They really helped me manage my tinnitus - which is really bad most of the time.

Pregnancy really doesn't make any difference to the condition, it's usually stress that increases it with me, so the more relaxed you can be the better.

You really need a referral if you haven't had one yet as they pinpointed that mine was caused by deafness making the brain over-conpensate by picking up all the noises from inside the head instead of outside - joy, the sound of your own blood pulsing around your skull.

I did use a sounds machine when it first started as I couldn't sleep and needed to drown the noise with it or low soft radio.

Silence usually is the worst thing but don't expose yourself to nloud noises either.

Congratualtions on the baby, have a peaceful pregnancy.

Pebbles27 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:20:20

Have had all test done and all came back fine,cause of the tinnitus is unknown so frustrating.
Had T 4 nearly 2 years and took me a long time to reach the point i am at now in terms of managing it and living a normal life as such.lol
Was just so worried baby would make it worse,think i just have to stop focussing on the negatives so much.
Thank you
Hope your T quietens.

kw111 Wed 08-Jun-11 16:11:11

Hi Pebbles27,

I suffer with tinnitus, so far I haven't noticed any difference, but I am only 8 weeks in. How about you? I hadn't considered it until I saw your post. I will let you know if it should change. Hopefully we'll be fine though! smile

Sibella1 Wed 08-Jun-11 23:18:49

You might find the baby hormones will relax you and even make it better.

I suffer on and off with tinnitus and I'm 18 weeks pregnant and I've a cold at the moment and the ringing started again last night (due to blocked ears / sinuses). I then realized I haven't had it in ages!

I'm also sleeping much better than normally and having weird and vivid dreams.

Pebbles27 Thu 09-Jun-11 12:17:51

Thanks girls,am starting to relax and enjoy the pregnancy even though i am very early on 5weeks.
Just wish i wasn`t so paranoid.
so good to hear from people who had tinnitus before falling pregnant as i have read lots about people developing T during pregnancy but none on pre existing.
Congrats on pregnancy and thanks again. smile

kw111 Fri 10-Jun-11 12:19:34

Paranoid is a strong word; it's better to be honest, seek information about your concerns and discuss them with others rather than allow them to manifest and turn into a massive fear. I think it's tricky earlier on too, if you don't want to be letting everyone know you're pregnant yet. Makes things feel more isolating.

So far I've found mumsnet an excellent way of gaining reassurance and practical information about how to deal with my concerns so far. Glad you found it helpful too. Take care. x

kay333 Thu 01-May-14 18:04:20

Hi
i am also have the same concern whether T will go worse during pregnancy or not. i suffer form T since Feb 2012 and i really want to know its relation to pregnancy. although i've done all required scans CT, MRI, hearing test, ear pressure test all was fine nothing wring with my ear. they could not find out the reason for my T. i saw my GP, ENT and Gynecologist all told me that i can get pregnant as there is no relation with T. however when i read stuff on the internet i get scared that my T get worse. Could anyone please share there experience.

Monkeybrain10 Thu 01-May-14 21:40:03

I am 32 weeks now...there's been no change in my tinnitus..in fact i think i have been so distracted by the pregnancy that i've noticed it less than normal. Enjoy your pregnancy and try not to focus on the tinnitus. I've had it for 20 odd years now and i think the best technique is distraction! Soon you won't be able to hear it over the sound of a screaming baby ;-)

GoldOnTheCeiling Thu 01-May-14 21:42:19

I've had tinnitus for 2 years and I'm currently pregnant (39 weeks today!). I've found that it hasn't changed much, some days are worse than others, just like normal. I've just finished work for my mat leave a few weeks ago and the lack of stress from not being at work definitely helps ease the tinnitus. Stress is the main trigger for me.

I would try not to worry, the chances are the pregnancy won't make a difference, if anything I'm hoping that I'll be so busy and distracted looking after the baby that I won't notice it as much smile

You're not alone xxx

Schlobbob Thu 01-May-14 21:43:12

Hi ladies, I'm lurking in the pregancy forums as will be TTC dc3 soon and have had tinnitus for 10 years now, since I was 18. been investigated and no reason, just is. Just wanted to reassure you all really, I didn't notice any change to the noise through either pregnancy and both my DC had no hearing problems picked up at newborn screening. I find mine is worse if I've been in a noisy environment all day, long car journeys too and stress a factor. There's no need to worry smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now