Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any one found a 'realistic' caffeine free tea?

(60 Posts)
Flowerydems Sun 05-Jun-11 15:19:13

Stuggling without my tea fix as I've now got a mental craving for Coke now so my 2 mugs a day is reduced to one. All the caffeine ones seem to taste a bit funny sad

Has anyone found anything that comes close to the satisfying goodness which is a nice hot mug of tea but minus the caffeine obviously?

Thanks,

Nope, sorry. I've tried them all. Had high hopes for Yorkshire tea decaff but it was just as foul as the rest. I've gone from about 8 big mugs a day to none.

I drink redbush with milk. It's not the same as a proper cup of tea, but better than gak herbally watery stuff (I reserve much of my ire for cammomile 'tea')

raedrenn Sun 05-Jun-11 15:30:41

I tried lots too and the best one is Punjana decaf

OrangeGloss Sun 05-Jun-11 15:31:45

Yorkshire Decaf grin but I could only stomach anything remotely like tea (caffeine or not) after about 16 weeks

Iggly Sun 05-Jun-11 15:32:18

Redbush here. Or decaf coffee which isn't as bad as decaf tea.

IvorHughJarrs Sun 05-Jun-11 15:33:02

I also love redbush (or rooibos) tea but of the normal teas I alsways find Twinings decaff tastes more like traditional tea than some of the other watery, tasteless yeeuch.

Paschaelina Sun 05-Jun-11 15:36:22

What about trying caffeine-free coke instead? You could go back to normal tea then.

sleepybump Sun 05-Jun-11 15:39:05

Yorkshire decaf here - I used to like strong teas and it certainly is not as good as that, but I'm used to it now and when I have my one real tea a day I now prefer light teas! I also have (cheap) decaf coffee which as Iggly said above, is certainly much better than decaf teas, though I find, even as a decaf, coffee is a little too much for me to drink all the time.

Amybecomesamum Sun 05-Jun-11 16:25:57

I prefer PG tips decaf but only without too much milk and made strong.

lolajane2009 Sun 05-Jun-11 16:29:00

redbush here too.

aubergine70 Sun 05-Jun-11 16:32:51

I like twinnings english breakfast decaf.

JenniL1977 Sun 05-Jun-11 16:33:15

Yorkshire decaff is the best I've found, and I'm an 8-10 mugs a day girl usually, when I can drink proper tea... You get used to it being a bit different and I'm starting to find proper tea a bit harsh now <sobs and hope my taste for it comes back in 10 weeks when she's born>

Flowerydems Sun 05-Jun-11 16:38:17

Paschaelina I've tried that aswell but I don't know what it is about fat coke. Such a guilty pleasure after all the diet coke I had to drink before getting pregnant to lose some weight smile

But it's more that I've had to come down from nearly 10 cups of tea a day to 2 already but nothing's the same at work especially. So silly seeing as I've managed to give up smoking and booze but still want a lovely comforting cuppa every couple of hours. Sigh, might just need to bite the bullet and make myself like the redbush stuff. Just tastes quite peaty to me for some reason.

Thanks for all the advice though, glad I'm not the only one that stuggled to find some nice ones

chrisonabike Sun 05-Jun-11 16:38:28

another vote for yorks.

EmLH Sun 05-Jun-11 16:41:50

Cafe-direct decaff is yummy. I drink it all the time now as I prefer it to normal tea smile

Twittwooo Sun 05-Jun-11 16:46:32

I've been drinking Cooperative decaf tea. I've got used to it pretty quickly and I used to drink a lot of caffeinated tea! What are people's thoughts on how much decaf tea it is safe to drink? I'm in early pregnancy at the moment and recently read that even with decaf you have to be careful so I'm trying to cut down on that now! How many cups do you think is safe?

jammyscone Sun 05-Jun-11 16:52:30

Have you tried the different flavours of rooibos? There's an earl grey which is quite nice and I really like the vanilla.

aethelfleda Sun 05-Jun-11 17:08:50

Twinings earl grey decaff is good.

Of all the regular "decaf" teas, Tetley seemed least yucky...

But have you heard of the DIY decaff trick? Found this online a few weeks ago. The caffeine comes out in the first 30 secs of brewing, so allyou have to do is get a regular teabag, make a cuppa with it, ensuring a 60 second steep, then remove the bag and make a second cuppa with the same bag. Give the first one to someone else- yours will have virtually no caffeine in it!

Really? I'll have to start making dh tea!

MrsGubbins Sun 05-Jun-11 17:29:19

have you tried green tea? add honey and lemon... I was addicted in early pregnancy!

ragged Sun 05-Jun-11 17:30:04

Rooibosch with vanilla and cow milk is very nice. Else add vanilla-flavoured soymilk to it.

nannyl Sun 05-Jun-11 17:38:08

another vote for redbush (or Rooibosch which is the same) tea.

the ones with vanilla are nice too too, and while the early grey red bush dont taste the same as twinings earl grey, they still do for me.

I prefer to go for teas that are naturally caffeine free, rather than teas that have been chemically decaffinated

I really like the Twinings Earl Grey decaff. Have stuck with it now DD here, as caffeine goes straight to her via BF and she stays awake all bloody night!!

WiiUnfit Sun 05-Jun-11 21:21:22

PG Tips decaf here, I don't even notice the difference? smile

Caffeine-free coke is nasty though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now