Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

False labour - stopping and starting, anyone else?

(21 Posts)

For about 3 or four days I was having really bad braxton hicks, period cramps etc and was thinking it might be leading upto something.

2 nights ago I got some really bad braxton hicks (they are always low under my bump and period crampy in waves) .

I've had these day and night.

Then yesterday everything was dead silent, not a twinge, until I went to bed and I started having pains, but they were very strong and all at the top of my bump.

They just felt like contractions.

I even went down stairs to tell DH and they continued and I managed to fall asleep.

Was so disapointed when I woke and and there was no baby under the duvet grin

bump

entenox is being delivered today just to taunt me i think!

Natzer Wed 27-Apr-11 11:10:14

Hi, I had something similar last friday, it started off with period type cramps, then the tightenings started and were timeable, sometimes up to 6 minutes apart, but then kept disappearing.

To cut a long story short, I was in early labour, I went to the birthing unit and she refused to examine me, by which time I was in agony as the babys head was pushing on my spine with each contraction (this wasnt known at the time) . I was then admitted being told I probably had a kidney infection (as for the pain). 5 hours later baby April was born at 2am on Monday. Only just managed to get an epidural as they didnt believe I was in labour. Was 6 cm dilated by the time they examined me, they were shocked but I wasnt. grin

I suppose I am trying to say that you know your body, if in doubt make sure they examine you.

I hope it goes very well for you.

aw congrulations smile

it has all died dwn agan now, am just gonna keep busy.

Just don't want it to turn into a nightly thing, uncomftable and fed up enough already without thinking I'm in labour each night!

swampmonster Wed 27-Apr-11 13:32:42

hi yes me too-I am 40 +1 today & due sweep later today, am really nervous about the birth now although can't wait to hold my baby,have had braxton hicks for 3/4 days now but like you they have gone today,typical! I do have a feeling that this sweep is going to move things for me,I am getting nervous though-I was all excited yesterday & ready for action,today I feel subdued,quiet & a little scared although have been wearing my brave face for all concerned! when are you due?

cowboylover Wed 27-Apr-11 14:00:40

I had it 3 nights running at the beginning of last week when I was 36 weeks but then totally stopped for the rest of the weeks and now this week just back to the occasional twinges.

I saw my MW and she said it was my body trying to get the head to engage as so far it is still totally free and that is happens like that sometimes and others it can be early labour. She just advised me to sleep as much as I can as it can be so tiring.

I hope yours comes to labour soon smile

kviddy Wed 27-Apr-11 15:55:46

40+1 with start and stop labour too! Feeling quite demoralised that all the other mums in my antenatal class have had thier babies!

Hiya,

am due monday, so 39+2.

I just had a sweep! she said i was 1-2 cms and did the sweep, cervix isn't completely thinned though.

Labour kicked off with my last 2 after a sweep, veryyyyy crampy now, so will see!

swampmonster Thu 28-Apr-11 09:43:18

hi guys,nothing yet-very painful BH last night,again come to nothing! said I am 1-2 cms at sweep & cervix is forward. I have never had a slow start labour before-very weird I have to say-how long is this likely to go on for & is it possibly to do with the raspberry leaf I have been taking???

SavannahRose Thu 28-Apr-11 12:26:58

Hi

I'm having a stop start labour but I'm only 33 wks sad
Been told this is due to my irritable uterus. It's horrible and contractions hurt real bad

Leilababyno1 Thu 28-Apr-11 13:09:57

Totoros- blimey that's unusual for your MW to give you a sweep before your due date, are you NHS?

I am due in 2 days, had lots of these symtoms and the BH are really picking up- especially at night....but not having sweep til 40+4, so have no idea if I've dilated yet or how effaced my cervix is- will have to wait n see! Am hoping I won't need the sweep, but as it's my first I probably will!

Oooh was just about to post this myself!

Yes, really quite sore BH, feeling them quite high up and they're making me feel a bit sick actually.

Am 37+4 with dc3. Been warned 3rd labours can be very stop/start so am not panicking yet but it does hurt and making it difficult to do anything else with my other 2 dc!

yes am NHS, by their dates am actually 38+ 4!

but know my dates,

had a bit of a show today smile

LittleMumSmall Thu 28-Apr-11 19:15:37

Same here - have had about three or four days of cramping and BH - last night I had a full 2 hours of regular contractions and as tomorrow is my official due date I'm hoping tonight may be the night! Finding it a bit frustrating but all part of the process of my body getting ready for the main event, which I'm hoping will be fairly speedy! Good luck all xx

ng1412 Sat 30-Apr-11 16:35:26

Any developments anyone??!!

nope, none here. just more show (how much is there?!) and same old pains.

ng1412 Sat 30-Apr-11 19:42:09

Oh Totoros so sorry to hear, was convinced something would be happening by now. Hang on in there!

I am having strong BHs tonight but no show yet and to be honest have got two weeks to go yet anyway...wishful thinking on my part!!

CHARLIESMUM72 Thu 08-May-14 08:07:06

Hi there
I had a similar experience last night. Partner timed contractions but they never really got any stronger. Ended up going to bed, but didn't sleep well. Feel exhausted this morning, and pretty fed up. Hope this is the start

Biffle Thu 08-May-14 14:20:44

I have had the same thing. 33+1 today and had 7 hours of contractions yesterday and had them again since around 10am this morning. Had the same with both my daughters from around 33 / 34 weeks and it is so exhausting. I'm worried that I won't actually 'know' when this is anything more ....

CHARLIESMUM72 Thu 08-May-14 19:41:47

Today has been better, but feel knackered. My biggest worry is how tired I will be when they really start if this keeps up. Had a curry again tonight in the hope I might jump start the engine :-)

gemmal88 Sat 10-May-14 17:44:23

I'm 40 + 3 today, had pathetic Braxton Hicks and cramps for the past couple of days. Been bouncing on a ball and walking loads but nothing is coming of it, so I'm having a night off tonight and lying on the sofa!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now