Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reducing Stillbirth: Count the Kicks Campaign

(509 Posts)
CarGirl Thu 14-Apr-11 19:50:39

I just want to promote "Count The Kicks"

Please read this, if it helps one Mum not suffer the agony of stillbirth it's worth it

http://countthekicks.org.uk/

louishemmings Thu 07-Nov-13 22:50:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

DaleyBump Sat 24-Aug-13 23:37:32

Shameless bump.

badguider Wed 07-Aug-13 20:04:27

I've just got a bracelet because I have an anterior placenta, engaged head already (35wks), he's already back to my tummy and I have strong stomach muscles to start with... all of which mean I don't feel a lot... I know about 20 kicks a day (14hrs) is normal for me/him but because that's relatively few it would be easy to miss if he went quiet.

Before the bracelet I used the phone app but felt very rude getting the phone out every kick.

twinklyfingers Wed 07-Aug-13 20:00:53

Just wanted to bump, with a reminder that any reduction in movement should be checked with a midwife.

No midwife will scoff at a mum-to-be checking that everything's ok.

littlemonkey2013 Wed 31-Jul-13 11:49:12

im all for this count the kicks but not sure when i should be counting/ how? im 23 weeks and have only just started feeling regular kicks. normally i notice periods of kicks like 5-10 over less than 5 mins maybe 5 times a day sometimes more. should i be counting individual kicks or groups of kicks? at the moment 10 in total in a day sounds really low. 10 in sequence seems too much. but maybe in a 2 hour period i will get 10?

the count the kicks chart doesn't seem to be on their website to me but have looked at others, some seem to chart how long it takes to get 10 kicks, some count movement throughout the day? is there a combined chart or should i make one?

a bit confused

tsw Tue 30-Jul-13 19:42:52

How do the bracelets work? I can't see them in detail.

MultipleMama Tue 30-Jul-13 19:37:29

I think it's a lovely site. These are babies #5 & #6 and a constant worrier when it comes to kick counting. I have a little book that a jot down estimated kicks in (don't always feel/count every one.)

Twin 1 has severe IUGR and low fluid (since 9w) so every kick he makes is vital to his survival rate. Thankfully he and Twin 2 have good movement to say I'm only 22 weeks.

Never heard of the bracelet before; I may invest in two!

catdoctor Tue 30-Jul-13 14:02:59

Sorry if someone's asked this already - I havn't read the whole thread - any options for kick counters other than bracelets ?- I can't wear one easily at work.

WhatWillSantaBring Tue 30-Jul-13 09:15:47

Bump

I think its strong movements you're after, not the little fluttery ones. Its really just learning what is normal for your baby and telling your mw if that changes.

FoofFighter Fri 19-Jul-13 12:19:11

just learn your own babys routine as they are 0all different, then if there is anything out of the ordinary you will know its not typical and know to get advice asap from mw or triage

FoofFighter Fri 19-Jul-13 12:17:48

as i understand it yes movements count, but not hiccups. some places still use ten kicks a day which to me is misleading as you could have 10 kicks first thing then nothing more all day, think its all ok but sad .....

PoppettyPing Fri 19-Jul-13 11:12:14

I'm sorry but I find this whole thing really confusing. This is my first pregnancy (32 weeks) and I honestly can't tell the difference between kicks and movements? I feel movements all day, maybe some of them are kicks but I can't tell... but then movements don't count? Huh? I find the website very vague. It says there is "no average", so when am I supposed to be alarmed? My checkups are always good, I feel like my baby is very squirmy and active but I don't really feel very many strong "kicks" as it were. And what do hiccups feel like? Arrgh sorry for my confused ramblings but all the sad stories on this thread are frightening me! My heart goes out to all of them, it's so sad.

LuckySocks13 Fri 19-Jul-13 09:05:13

So sorry for all the losses on here. Sleep well angel babies.
I have just downloaded the app but bit confused. Can anyone offer advice? Gary? Do I just use in 10 min slots or record the kicks all day? I ordered some resources months ago from the website but they not arrived sad my friend lost her dear little baby girl last year so feeling nervous and want to be proactive.

GaryBuseysTeeth Thu 18-Jul-13 11:37:14

Bump.

It's warm, it's easy to blame the heat on having a lazy baby.

Smerlin Mon 01-Jul-13 09:35:50

Bump- using the Count the Kicks app and going to download a chart as well

Forgetfulmog Wed 29-May-13 15:24:36

Foof that makes more sense than my garbled message smile

FoofFighter Wed 29-May-13 12:45:01

Hiccups are an involuntary movement rather than a purposefulone, so guessing thats' why?

Bullets Tue 28-May-13 23:43:33

Bump xxx

Forgetfulmog Tue 28-May-13 23:34:51

I think rum it's because babies can have hiccups quite frequently & if you're counting each hiccup as movement then that can really skew the results.

So, for example on Monday, baby had 3 lots of 15 hiccups & moved 20 times (totalling 65 movements if you count the hiccups), but on Tuesday baby didn't have any hiccups at all & just moved 20 times. That's a massive difference.

I don't know for sure though, it's just a guess smile

rumtumtugger Tue 28-May-13 23:28:04

Oh. I've just seen here that hiccups don't count. Does anyone know why?

rumtumtugger Tue 28-May-13 23:25:05

Do hiccups count as purposeful kicks? I feel a lot of hiccups but not as many kicks.

FoofFighter Tue 28-May-13 20:47:00

No problem smile I have to agree that it's not the best set out website ever tbh

Fuckwittery Tue 28-May-13 20:39:26

Thank you! i think the links are not working properly on ipad I spent ages browsing and did not see that page

FoofFighter Tue 28-May-13 20:35:23
Fuckwittery Tue 28-May-13 20:31:37

I am finding that website a bit confusing tbh.
can anyone link to where it says how many kicks you should be counting and what sort of change would indicate a worry, and how often you should count (surely not all day everyday!)

I am also a little bit hmm about seeming to be recommending all women should help their baby by having a private scan, under how to help your baby, it seems irresponsible to make women feel guilty anout something they may not be able to afford.

I also cant find the kick chart or the wristband available to buy or be sent to me on the website and my MW hasnt given me one.

anything can reduce stillbirth is great, I am just a bit disappointed by the layout of the site and actual info sbout what we should be looking for. I am on ipad though and the links are tricky to click so maybe I've missed something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now