Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

36 weeks- Frequent bowel movements normal??

(15 Posts)
Leilababyno1 Fri 01-Apr-11 19:45:13

I am 36 weeks with my first and for the past couple of days (sorry if TMI) I have been having soft stools (not diarrhea) 3-4 times a day- is that normal and to be expected at this later stage of pregnancy??

Up until recently I have been constipated and not even been going once a day, as I am on strong iron supplements- so I am surprised that all of sudden things have changed...

Longtime Fri 01-Apr-11 20:22:28

I had this just before I went into labour ;). Could be nerves maybe?

Leilababyno1 Fri 01-Apr-11 20:33:22

hummmn really?

I know that sometimes people can get a bout of diarrhea before going into labour, but mine are just softer than normal...I'm not really aware that I'm feeling nervous but I suppose subconsciously I might be?

Just don't know why I'm needing to go so many times a day..confused- strange....

Thank's though, will just have to keep an eye..smile

daimbardiva Fri 01-Apr-11 20:40:07

I've heard people say it is your body cleansing itself beofre labour - not sure if that's true?

I'm still at the constipated stage - would give anything to be going frequently!

Good luck if it is signalling your time's near.!

Leilababyno1 Fri 01-Apr-11 20:45:04

Trust me, up until a few days ago I was REALLY constipated- to the point where I developed a painful hemorrhoid...blush- so I feel your pain daimbardiva

Don't mind this sudden change in bowel movement- in fact it's very much welcome after 35 weeks of constipation! Just curious as to why the change?!

luluzulu Fri 01-Apr-11 20:54:32

i feel your pain, its not exactly diarrhea but getting the achy tummy and having to literally run to toilet only for it just to be a soft poo.

Joannezipan Fri 01-Apr-11 22:23:37

I'm 29 +1 and this happened to me last week too. They say a change is as good as a rest though right wink

Oooh, I had this at 36wks - and then DS was born! A bit early, yes, but everything was fine. Very easy labour too

Leilababyno1 Fri 01-Apr-11 23:05:54

mistressploppy- really? Hummmmmm....my mum was late with both me and my sister, always assumed I would be the same?! If my frequent bowel movements are anything to go by, I might be about that cycle then...wink

Probably just wishful thinking though....I don't have any tummy cramps or backache- maybe it's just my body slowly getting ready, it's all good!

MinnieBar Fri 01-Apr-11 23:16:54

I had this for about the last three months of my first pregnancy, approx the last four months of the second, and I think about the last six months of #3! I was on iron supplements too, made no difference.

Combination of hormones and position of the baby pressing on the bowel sending it signals to open (prematurely) I think.

MinnieBar Sat 02-Apr-11 08:26:40

Oh and baby wipes (unscented) are your friend wink
Or are you in labour OP?!

Bunbaker Sat 02-Apr-11 08:28:44

Yes, it is normal. It happened to me. My MW told me that my body was preparing itself for labour. DD was born at 38.5 weeks.

jellyhead188 Sat 02-Apr-11 09:01:03

Oh I posted this yesterday - am 36 weeks tomorrow and the last few days this has been happening to me - and I've been constipated too - I keep getting the feeling like I will have the runs and then when I go its just soft! Oh hope it means things are happening - have really bad SPD now and can't do much - I keep waking up with contractions too!!

Leilababyno1 Sat 02-Apr-11 12:14:18

Update: Woke up this morning with very strong BH tightenings- no cramping though...I have also been having occasional spasm pains down towards my bum?! Don't know what that means, but it's a new sensation- thought maybe it's baby getting further engaged, she was 3/5th engaged at my last MW appointment...

Does feel like things are starting to happen, Who knows?!

Good luck jellyhead188- hope yours makes an early appearance! Got my bag packed just incase!!wink

CaringForPod Mon 04-Apr-11 18:02:36

I've had this throughout the whole pregnancy blush. Now 36+3, would love it if it were a sign that things were a-happening, but think my body is just a bit weird!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now