Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bizarre Question - Anyone else chewing their tongue??

(13 Posts)
LifesComplicated Mon 21-Mar-11 16:43:02

Hi, I know this is a bizarre long-shot, but I wondered if anyone else is experiencing or has experienced similar, and if it's linked to pg?

I'm 35 weeks pg and for the past 3 weeks I've been obsessed with chewing my own tongue. I can't get enough of it! I really chew down on the whole tongue, almost as if Im trying to chew the thing off, and I find it really satisfying and wierdly addictive!

I've never chewed my tongue when younger or when not pg. So I'm wondering if there's any link. Also it's crossed my mind that maybe it's because I'm veggie - could the baby be craving meat (in the form of my tongue???!).

Totally bizarre! confused

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 21-Mar-11 17:54:12

No experience in pregnancy sorry but thought I would tell you that my DH chews his own tongue. All down the side. If he does it then it can't always be linked to pregnancy, but I really have no idea regarding being vegetarian. Strange people grin

AllisonJuarez Mon 11-Apr-11 22:28:32

I had to join this site just so I could answer your question. I found this through a search on this subject, because I do the EXACT same thing. This is my third pregnancy, and with each one, I started chewing my tongue. After each of my pregnancies, I stopped chewing, but then started back up again once I was pregnant again. I am not really sure what causes it. I thought maybe it might be due to Pica, which is common in pregnant women. I don't know. But I wanted to make sure that you knew that you weren't alone in this.

IntentionallyBlank Mon 11-Apr-11 23:29:46

Are you getting enough iron?

LifesComplicated Tue 12-Apr-11 17:42:45

Wow Allison - thanks for joining MN in order to post a reply to my question - that's so nice of you and has helped to reassure me Im not the only person in the world who does this whilst pregnant! I think you're right - it could be a pica-related thing, and I also think that IntentionallyBlank may be onto something when you queury the link with iron - I don't think I'm getting nearly enough iron so it could be linked to that. Hmm... all very mysterious!
Thanks for your posts on this.

GreenKat Wed 13-Apr-11 16:51:40

I'm 37 weeks and have been tongue chewing for the last week - it's getting quite sore now! Don't think mine is iron related though as my iron levels hardly dropped when they were measured at 34 weeks from the start of the pg. Glad i am not alone in this quite bizzare behaviour! I was going to ask the midwife about it yesterday but i forgot.

juneau Wed 13-Apr-11 17:06:45

Me too! I'm 35 weeks and have been chewing my tongue for the past 2-3 weeks. I've also been wanting to eat soap, so in my case I think it is pica. My iron is apparently fine, because I asked my MW last week at my check-up, but I do find that if I eat a big pile of green leafy veg I feel a bit better for a day or so.

zebedeek7 Wed 30-Jan-13 21:55:58

Yes it is bizarre, so I thought myself coz I'm doin exactly the same. I'm 32 weeks and have been doing it for the past 2 months. I can't stop. At first I thought I was thirsty all the time, my mouth felt dry. I know I'm not that thirsty because I have cups of tea or other drinks in the day, but nothing satisfies the feeling more than Ice cold water!! At home I can just stick my head under the cold tap and drink. It HAS to be ice cold or it doesnt cut it, and if i had an ice machine i could prob spend the day eating it. Another thing is, I dont have to swallow it, as long as the water is in my mouth it relieves the need (for a bit). I had to ask the midwife because I was concerned i could have gestational diabetes (in pregnancy), as symptoms include excessive thirst. I dont fall into the risk factor "box" for this, still she checked my urine which was fine. her n my fiance pretty much laughed at me for thinking it (still you never know). During the same time I also developed a need to suck my bath sponge when having a bath, and tasting the soapy bath water and spitting it out had the same effect. I continue to do this, and to my flannel or even just a guggle of the water and trickle it out. Again I know this sounds really bizzare! At first I didnt think anything of it until a friend said she knew someone who craved puddle water (she didnt drink it of course but every time she passed one she wanted some). So I thought the soapy water thing was a craving. It gets better - I also feel the need to collect a pile of bubbles from the soapy dish water and put them in my mouth. I try my best to spit them out. My mother thinks its disgusting but I just cant help myself. This however, is something I have done time to time in the past but now its excessive. When it snows I generally feel the urge to eat some, but the urge was too strong during pregnancy. All these strange things I feel the need to do orally, I have no idea what they mean, or why, but they have to be pregnancy linked. I have read about Pica, which talks of ice, and soap cravings. but i dont want to eat soap, just the bubbly soap water it produces... trying my best to resist all these cravings, but the tongue chewing is' getting on my nerves. plus I'm weeing enough anyway, with all this extra water I'm just back to the toilet all day long. tongue chewing can also be down to stress which I'm under but Im swaying to the Pica thing. cant find alot online about all this, but maybe noone wants to admit such cravings??!! But there, its out, and I'm off for some ice cold water, I had a bath earlier lol x

Zunammi Mon 10-Nov-14 23:19:06

I am having this issue as well. My tongue just feels so yummy to chew on! I am 31 weeks pregnant with twins. Will it stop after they are born?

pixie185 Thu 16-Apr-15 19:33:54

I realize that it's years since this thread was begun, but I wanted to write to say YES! and also THANK YOU!

I am 33 weeks pregnant and the tongue-chewing/tongue-sucking thing has been driving me crazy for about a month. I am so grateful that I'm not alone in this. Thank you all for posting.

This pregnancy stuff is super-weird :-)

pixie185 Thu 16-Apr-15 19:34:10

I realize that it's years since this thread was begun, but I wanted to write to say YES! and also THANK YOU!

I am 33 weeks pregnant and the tongue-chewing/tongue-sucking thing has been driving me crazy for about a month. I am so grateful that I'm not alone in this. Thank you all for posting.

This pregnancy stuff is super-weird :-)

Syd35 Fri 17-Apr-15 06:26:59

Haha yes another tongue chewer here glad I'm not weird now lol.

Kayleighge Thu 04-Feb-16 19:12:06

I cannot stop sucking/chewing my tongue!! I'm 32 weeks pregnant and for the past few weeks have been addicted to it. I chew sponges and flannels all
Have to be soaked in bath water! It's the strangest thing. Does this stop after birth?

Someone also mentioned low iron levels. My midwife has just told me I'm aneamic what does this have to do with tongue sucking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now