Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any Old Wives Tales concerning the sex of your baby come true for you?

(122 Posts)

eg.

Carrying high (girl) /low (boy)

Craving sweet things (girl)
Craving savoury things/meat (boy)

And indeed, any others?

With DD I didn't have cravings exactly, but I remember having a bit more of a sweet tooth through pregnancy than usual.

OR

If you've had one or more of each, were there any noticeable differences in your pregnancies which you suspected may have been linked to the sex of your baby?

Intrigued... smile I thought a straw poll would be interesting...

harrygracejessica Tue 01-Mar-11 20:31:49

Mine was just the way im carrying.

DS was ALL in front
then girl twins who I put on weight everywhere and carried what seemed everywhere
Now im having boy twins and ALL in front - so you can imagine the size of the bump!!

Nope. Had one of each, craved nothing, carried high and low and for three months of each pregnancy transverse (looked like I had a telly up my jumper hmm). Puked constantly through both as well.

DancingThroughLife Tue 01-Mar-11 20:39:37

Well I craved sweet and savoury things, so that one was half right grin

I didn't have that healthy 'blooming' thing so that was wrong. But I had no morning sickness so that was right.

I had a girl, but at various points during my pregancy I could have been having either according to the old wives' tales!

Honeydragon Tue 01-Mar-11 20:42:58

That chinese gender predicter was right with both of mine smile

NosyRosie Tue 01-Mar-11 20:45:48

Everything pointed towards me having a boy:

ate loads of cheese,
my hair was in really good condition,
the way I was carrying,
the wedding ring over the bump.

We were so convinced that we didn't believe the midwife when she said we had a girl - had to check for ourselves grin

<doffs hat to harrygracejessica>
'Nuff respect!!!

What was the Chinese gender predictor, Honeydragon?

grin at WMMC's telly up the jumper.

Remind me of the wedding ring test, NosyRosie?

LadyOfTheManor Tue 01-Mar-11 21:08:06

I carried all front, and really high. I craved frozen fruit and cherry yoghurt. I had terrible terrible morning sickness and terrible terrible skin (until about 20 weeks-to the extent I wouldn't leave the house ).

I had a boy. Go figure.

LadyOfTheManor Tue 01-Mar-11 21:08:41

My Chinese prediction was a boy and my heart beat thing with the MW said a boy.

I had terrible heart burn and he was born with a mop of hair!

Honeydragon Tue 01-Mar-11 21:14:54
Honeydragon Tue 01-Mar-11 21:19:40
Meglet Tue 01-Mar-11 21:22:11

I was as sick as a dog when I was pg with DD. Only had nausea with DS.

I craved the same foods during both pregnancies though (mcdonalds breakfasts, greek salads, special k and fat coke, not at the same time).

HLSalter Tue 01-Mar-11 21:42:59

Every single old wives tale points to me having a girl. I have my 20 week scan on Thursday so will find out if they are right then grin

JimmyChoo17 Tue 01-Mar-11 22:03:44

Well I cant strictly answer this but its a great thread!

So according to the old wives tales Ive been told so far...

Am carrying low (Boy)
Have had awful non stop sickness for 5 months (Girl)
On holiday in Thailand they said my suffering indicated a boy
HoneyDragons link says a boy.
My gut instinct says a girl...

Im not finding out until the birth tho and July is a loooooooong time away! I dont really care but would love a blue then a pink!

DancingThroughLife Tue 01-Mar-11 22:05:58

Honeydragon - done both of those tests now. The first one was right (although it thinks I had a 5 month pregnancy hmm) and the second one was wrong. Maybe DD is going to be a tomboy! grin

Fab123 Tue 01-Mar-11 22:18:13

I had virtually no morning sickness (just dry heaving for 20 mins and a brief visit to the kitchen sink after burning cinnamon toast), chinese predictor says boy, craving apples and snickers bars so a mixed bag there! When I went to hear the heart beat she took mine (I have low BP) and explained the heart rate thing doesn't always prove true as if Ma's HR is high then so will the baby's be...after telling me mine was fairly slow...then went on to exclaim "Wow! Baby is coming through loud and clear, and VERY FAST!" which made me immediately feel she was trying to say = GIRL! Sure enough had a 3D scan at 16+3 and there was the hamburger grin

Scouseem Tue 01-Mar-11 22:23:42

Nope never been true with me and now 27weeks with DC3 who I know for a fact is a boy (had cvs so defo right) and I crave sweets, cake, chocolate and his heartbeat is always over 150.

Honeydragon- those were wrong for both of mine.

Both my pregnancies were similar, I couldn't bear anything fishy and lost interest in chocolate confused

Had the heartburn = hairy baby proven grin

An old witch neighbour we knew correctly predicted the sex of everyone's babies including my 1st and at least 6 of my friends/family, even before we were big enough to guess by the shape of the bump. One friend secretly commissioned pink knitwear on the strength of her word.

DS was predicted by a clairaudient (sp?) at least 4 years before I had him, while I was happily single. She also told me he'd be my last as he'd be enough (I'd always said I wanted 2 or 3). I wondered if there would be something seriously wrong with him because of her wording, but it made sense when the time came and I was sterilised the following year.

mslucy Tue 01-Mar-11 23:00:51

carrying low - check
carrying out the front - check
not much morning sickness - check
clear skin - check
thick hair - check
Chinese thingy - check

yes, it's a boy - and this pg is same as it was for DS1 & DS2
Only vaguely girly thing is that I am constantly craving sugar (wanted meat/veg for the others).
I am also a lot more EVIL than I was in my other pregnancies - maybe because I am 40 and permanently knackered.

Saw willy on scan, but sonographer knew what was in there just by looking.

Think it is another whopper as well - 30 weeks and ready to EXPLODE.

PipPipPip Wed 02-Mar-11 00:36:51

Surely the predictions will be correct for half of all pregnancies?

Very true, PipPipPip - but where's the fun in that?! wink

Ooh, spooky marriednotdead!

Anyone else tried fortune tellers/tarot etc. that sort of thing to predict the sex? How did they do?

Thanks for the Chinese predictor link, Honeydragon!

No, absolutely identical pregnancies, little sickness, extreme tiredness, same size/shape bump, lots of heartburn both times..
One of each!

NosyRosie Wed 02-Mar-11 09:31:09

Immaculada - The wedding ring test:
Take a strand of the mum-to-be's hair (helps if it's longish).

Thread it through her wedding ring and hold it over the bump.

If it moves back and forth like a pendulum it's a girl.

If it moves in a circle it's a boy.

Thanks NosyRosie!

knittymum Wed 02-Mar-11 11:05:43

Well, the chinese predictor table thingy said that I've got two girls, based on previous pregnancies, but I have two boys! This one should be a girl as well according to that, but time will tell! As to the other Chinese predictor thing where you put in your date of birth, it's just told me I'm 34 (I'm only 31!!) and that my baby due in October will be conceived in May! Oh and it's another girl. So I'm not holding out much hope for accuracy!!

Oh, and the wedding ring thing says girl as well. But my second scan won't be until about the end of May, so I have a very long time to wait and find out!

eastegg Wed 02-Mar-11 11:28:05

It's such a load of guff but good fun! If you trawl the internet enough you can find OWTs that completely contradict each other.

A lot of people told me I was having a boy because of the way I was carrying. I don't really understand 'all out in front', where else is it supposed to be? I just craved food generally, but definitely wanted sweet things more than before PG. Had nausea but only for about 3 weeks and no sickness so I never really knew what to think about that. I had a boy.

This time, hardly any nausea, and I'm definitely craving savoury more than sweet. Have no idea what to think but it's good fun speculating! When you think about it these OWTs will all start to die out as more people find out what they're having so there's no need to speculate. Let's keep them alive!

The old wives tales will come true 50% of the time you know...

When pg with DD I definitely carried a portion of the bump on my arse. Don't know if that signified girl or I'm naturally short of stature, so there was nowhere else for the spread to go except generally outwards...

<envious of neat, jutting bumps>

BTW, all those who posted upthread and don't know yet, I think an update in the weeks to come, if you please..!

boyscomingoutofmyears Wed 02-Mar-11 12:35:38

The predictor was right with latest DS, however, I it also said I had a 4 month pregnancy and that I'm 2 years older than I am!

All the old wives tales pointed to me having a girl this time, in fact I was convinced he was a girl too as this pregnancy was completely different to my previous 2 boys in every way, but obviously nothing was correct!

arsenpants Wed 02-Mar-11 12:51:52

Well with DD I definately carried a lot of the bump on my arse, ate at least a million cakes, felt sick as anything for the first 12 weeks. With Ds was still huge but a little 'neater' went right off chocolate and ate cheese intead, and had no nausea. I also found DS much 'wrigglier' a bump than DD - he still can't keep still now! grin Heartburn with both though and neither were particularly hairy...

NotSoPukeyMummy Wed 02-Mar-11 12:53:59

I carried all out in front, put on little weight elsewhere. Had constant nausea for 4 months, but no sickness.

Hairdresser insisted on doing the wedding ring test over my bump. That said it was a girl.

Baby's heartbeat was also very very fast. Thinking back, the midwives always commented on this.

I had a girl.

Haven't thought about it too much this time because we really don't mind either way.

FooffyShmoofffer Wed 02-Mar-11 12:56:02

Not an old wives tale but a psychic told a friend that she knew I had fertility issues and to tell me not to worry I would soon have a girl. I was hmm.

I don't believe in psychics or any of that. I said that the day I pop out a baby girl I might consider believing.

Had my DD almost exactly a year later.

nicolamumof3 Wed 02-Mar-11 12:58:18

I have three boys already, and am still in shock as was told dc4 is goign to be a girl on monday shock was pretty obvious as this pg has been a killer with feeling rough still feeling sick most days, and the days im not i have a migraine. Forgetting what normal is like. But yes its all worth it in the end.

crapbarry Wed 02-Mar-11 12:59:37

I've only had 1 pregnancy, but EVERYONE told me I'd be having a boy, pretty much from 8 weeks pg onwards. Not sure why - I must have given out boy vibes?! bump was very neat, only at the front - I lost weight elsewhere! I craved starchy foods (potatoes, toast) and had such bad sickness I didn't really want anything else. heartbeat was always bang in the middle of the prediction range (can't remember what it is - was it over 140 bpm = girl, under = boy? his was always bang on 140 anyway!) I did the urine pH test too - pH alkaline = boy, acid = girl, IIRC - I nabbed some litmus paper from work and tried several times, and it always said boy! DS is the epitome of 'boy' at the moment

DSis also has neat bump, lost weight elsewhere, and is expecting a boy!

We both had really blotchy faces too - my mum didn't with any of us girls. But she said all 4 of her pgs were exactly the same, and she had 3 girls and 1 boy.

kitkatred Wed 02-Mar-11 13:01:57

Everyone throughout my pregnancy (including a Big Issue seller as I walked past him) told me I was having a boy - mainly based on how I was carrying the baby. When I was in labour in hospital, all three midwives I saw told me I was having a boy (because of heartrate and baby's position). I was convinced I was having a boy (we'd only DTD once that month, on the day I was ovulating and male sperm are meant to swim faster than female sperm, plus I just knew).

I had a girl. grin

JimmyChoo17 Wed 02-Mar-11 13:14:16

InmaculadaConcepcion "I definitely carried a portion of the bump on my arse. " Eeek I think I have been pregnant for years ha ha!! No? Im just a little fat.... grin

My GP listened to the doppler and straight away she said thats definitly a girl!! Was annoyed as I dont want to find out.

My heart tells me a girl but I think thats because Ive been influenced by the tales of prolonged morning sickness, general illness and then finally the GPs comment!

I couldnt see meat and 2 veg OR a hamburger on the screen...but to be fair...could hardly tell what was what....the only easy to see things with a naughty hiding baby were feet, hands, heart and head!

Spammead Wed 02-Mar-11 13:20:23

I had no morning sickness
Carried low and at the front
Had good skin and hair
Terrible heartburn in the last few months, and during and after the birth, too!
Chinese thingy said girl
Craved milk

No idea what that all adds up to, but I had a lovely, hairy girl

spiderlight Wed 02-Mar-11 13:28:30

'If you've not had any mornign sickness yet, you won't have it at all' - I had borderline hyperemesis for weeks and weeks.

'I can see a clear pink glow in your aura - a very feminine energy' confused - I had a boy.

'Oh, you've got ages to go yet - you're still carrying really high' - he arrived less than 48 hours later!

recycledteen Wed 02-Mar-11 13:35:39

Re Chinese predictor table. Correct for me - 2 DDs. Correct for older daughter - 1 DD, 1 DS. Totally wrong prediction for younger daughter who has just had a little boy. Thank goodness they kept to neutral colours for baby stuff. grin

SoupDragon Wed 02-Mar-11 13:36:57

They will be right approximately 50% of the time.

coatgate Wed 02-Mar-11 13:39:26

No morning sickness and chronic heartburn = gorgeous girl with the most impressive hairdo ever grin

halfcaff Wed 02-Mar-11 13:45:15

I definitely felt more sick to begin with and craved more sweet things (Snickers actually!) with my dd than with ds.

MosEisley Wed 02-Mar-11 14:08:30

This chinese gender chart gives different results to the other one. This particular one is true for me - correctly predicted 3 boys, whereas according to the other one linked on this thread, DS2 and 3 would be girls.

Ah well if they are opposite then I suppose one of them will always be right...

partyhats Wed 02-Mar-11 14:54:32

I carried high with ds and low and wide with both dds. The sickness was also far worse with ds.
I put on lots of weight all over with both dds but just had the bump with ds so I lost the weight really quickly, at my 6 week check I was back to my normal weight. My stomach is still Flabsville though.

PavlovtheCat Wed 02-Mar-11 14:54:52

dd - craved fruit and yoghurt, ham and tomato crusty rolls. (did not eat meat before pg!) hypermesis throughout managed (but not stopped) through strict diet/eating times.

DS - craved citrus stuff, lemon smell eased sickness a little, serious serious cravings for the smell of dettol and clean things. had severe hyperemesis throughout, only vaguely managed via medication. Horrendous heartburn - tore esophegous (sp) at 33wks due to violent acid vomitting. hardly about to eat so hardly any cravings, but at one point craved/could only eat peanut butter cumpets and surprisingly grapefruit which I held down.

Both have lots of lovely hair, and I had good complexion with DD, and would have had good complexion with DS if I had not been so horrendously sick and depleted of vitamins!

Carried small round bumps with both children.

mayanna123 Wed 02-Mar-11 15:06:45

No difference whatsoever with my ds and dd, I'm afraid smile.

chipmonkey Wed 02-Mar-11 15:09:39

Chinese gender chart was right for 3 out of four of my ds's. It now says I'm having a girl but I promise you all, I will run naked around the Phoenix Park if this is a girl.

It's a deal, chipmonkey wink

whoamamma Wed 02-Mar-11 15:22:29

Big bump out front - only weight I really put on was the (big) baby.
Craved curry in first trimester. And crisps. Craved cakes in final trimester.
Great skin, hair and nails (already gone 2 weeks post partum sad
Morning sickness, but never threw up.
Some heartburn towards the end, but rarely awful.

Like spammead, it was a lovely, hairy girl!

JollySergeantJackrum Wed 02-Mar-11 15:35:34

hmm, looking at the gender prediction thing it says:
According to the Chinese lunar calendar, you were 26* when you got pregnant and your baby was conceived in *December . Find the place on the chart where these values meet – it reveals your baby's sex!

And it says I'm having a girl.

However, I was 24* when I conceived and the baby was conceived in *July so I'm not sure I entirely believe it...

JollySergeantJackrum Wed 02-Mar-11 15:36:00

Dunno what happened with bold there, sorry.

kingbeat23 Wed 02-Mar-11 15:52:46

the only thing I now believe in is the hairy thing - had horrendous heartburn all the way through and gave birth to a monkey girl.

DSis has 3 DCs DS1 and DD horrific heartburn - monkey children, DS2 - no heartburn, no hair.

Can't tell with the bump thing in our family as we have a "magic" weight of putting on 4 1/2 stone during pregnancy, no matter if we watch our weight or not. DM, DSis and myself all put on this weight.

Had 3 MWs and XP saying it was a boy, DM and other MW saying girl...whilst pushing...remember having a surreal out of mind experiene whilst pushing, thinking, is this conversation really happening or is it me?

Carameli Wed 02-Mar-11 16:22:59

with no1 everyone, even in shops told me I was going to have a boy, All the old wives tests etc etc and like some others here on the actual day I got the shock of my life when I heard them say 'She's here '

No 2 & 3 both boys, I had morning sickness for all of them and terrible heartburn but was worse with the boys, not sure if that is what they say it should be though.

melikalikimaka Wed 02-Mar-11 16:39:50

Hardly any morning sickness, except when brushing teeth, that means boys, that was right.

mayanna123 Wed 02-Mar-11 16:49:40

"Chinese gender chart was right for 3 out of four of my ds's. It now says I'm having a girl but I promise you all, I will run naked around the Phoenix Park if this is a girl."

But the probability of you having another boy after 3 already is really very small, so it is much more likely to be a girl, statistically at least.

"But the probability of you having another boy after 3 already is really very small"

Probability of you having a boy after 3 boys is actually slightly higher than of having a girl (if same father), but still practically 50/50.

firstforthought Wed 02-Mar-11 17:09:03

With dd I had nausea all day every day for about 12 weeks. with ds none apart from very rare waves of nausea. Noticed with ds the brightly coloured urine thing blush put on more weight too but he was a bigger baby.

DD1: Sour sweets and Cheese & Onion everything, no nausea, all in front.
DD2: Savoury food, no nausea, carried everywhere!
DS: Meat, no appetite, nausea, didn't really look pg (he was tucked under my ribcage!)

Onkly person that got the prediction right was my Thai friend. She's been right for all friends pregnancies so far, but got her own wrong.

chipmonkey Wed 02-Mar-11 17:28:24

heartburn = hairy baby was the only one that worked here, actually. Ds4 had a full head of hair when newborn. Think there might be a pic on my profile.

Mumlar Wed 02-Mar-11 17:42:09

Have had three, one DS and two DDs. Craved Haribo Sour Mix with both my girls-disgusting! Strangely with both my DD's the hair growth on my legs slowed down. A bit of a bonus really as I couldn't reach to shave them. Was very sick with all three, but well into the second trimester with the girlies. Bump didn't change with any of them, huge and all at the front with all three. All gorgeous though.

CheerfulYank Wed 02-Mar-11 18:22:09

I just asked my Dad. He's sucessfully predicted something like 17 family pregnancies now...that man has The Shine, I tell you!

matana Wed 02-Mar-11 19:24:54

Yes on pretty much all counts:

No morning sickness.
Neat little bump out front (i'm no size 0!)
Loved savoury things.
Heartburn like hell.
Chinese predicter chart correct.
Thick hair.
Clear skin.

= boy

mewkins Wed 02-Mar-11 20:00:57

Everyone, me included, was convinced it was a boy - to such an extent that we hardly discussed girls names. When DD was born we were stunned! Only my mum had suspected a girl and had even bought girlie babygros shock

My FIL has a theory that if you conceive after - ahem - doing it "from behind", you're more likely to have a girl.

I have a feeling he was right about that with DD grin

regeneration Wed 02-Mar-11 20:11:59

With DS I put on weight everywhere, I was MASSIVE. Craved strawberry cheesecake icecream and Kettle slightly salted crisps.

Awful heartburn, pain in hips from 30 weeks, carried in the middle, bum poking out by me bully button for the last 4 weeks.

Didn't know until he was born, midwife had no idea, and the scans couldn't see anything definative.

?????

tilder Wed 02-Mar-11 20:17:03

My lovely lovely madwife always predicts the sex of the baby. She originally told me that she goes off the speed of the heart beat (can remember now but below a certain beats per minute means one, above means another) and predicted a boy both times.

She was right both times - but she did tell me that her success rate is 50% grin

BabyGiraffes Wed 02-Mar-11 20:19:16

Totally off sweet things with dd1 and totally craving sweet things with dd2. Sorry, no help grin

The chinese prediction calander was also right on both of mine.

And I would like to add it was correct on both my sisters and my best friends - spooky?!

fadingfast Wed 02-Mar-11 21:50:29

I had pretty bad morning sickness with DS but it was FAR worse with DD - more severe and lasted longer. From friends' experiences I think the level of morning sickness is as reliable as anything. Bump shape, hair, skin etc the same both times.

emiwo Wed 02-Mar-11 21:59:28

carrying all out front.
sick sick sick sick for the whole pregnancy. to the extent of being on a drip.
Fab hair.

Had a Boy..

duchesse Wed 02-Mar-11 22:42:01

None of these but these things happened:

pregnancy 1) I dreamt about my baby aged about 2. I still have a very powerful memory of the baby's features and demeanour, and he was a boy. Pregnancy 1 was indeed a boy and he turned out to look very like my dream although a lot fairer

Pregnancy 2) I dreamt a few weeks before the baby that she would be a little girl with slightly sticky out ears. She was a little girl with sticky out ears!

Pregnancy 3) I was told throughout my pregnancy that something was wrong with my baby, that it wasn't growing properly and was threatened with induction from 32 weeks. I knew that the baby was a girl and that she was fine and resisted all intervention. She was a girl and she was fine.

Pregnancy 4) I knew beyond any doubt from the beginning of the pregnancy that I would have trouble delivering (despite never having had any in any of the previous 3). I didn't know how or why but just had a strong feeling that all would not go well. The pregnancy was a dream, very easy and straightforward, and went utterly tits up in the last 4 days. At the C section needed to save her life (and possibly mine too- we were both infected by then) it was discovered that she was so extremely tangled in her cord that she would never have made it out through nature's route. I got her sex wrong though- was convinced throughout she was a boy. Only in the last week did I even consider the baby might be a girl.

babybythesea Wed 02-Mar-11 23:22:57

Hmm, well I crave sweet things most of the time so am probably permanently pregnant with a girl!
I did indeed crave sweet things while pregnant with dd but no more than usual. And macaroni cheese.
And the midwife told me that I was going to have a girl after hearing a slightly faster than normal heartbeat. Although she did then grin and say she had a 50% chance of being right. (Apparently boys heartbeats tend to be a bit slower).

chipmonkey Thu 03-Mar-11 00:04:39

When pg with ds3 I had a dream that I had a tiny little boy. Ds3 was 8 weeks prem.

Janoschi Thu 03-Mar-11 00:08:35

With this pregnancy (29 weeks) I felt very strongly from really early on that it would be a girl. I also craved sweet things and fruit when normally I'm a savoury type, but I learned this tale fairly late along. On my 20 wk scan my baby had it's knees firmly shut so there was no way to tell. I had 2 other scans because of bleeding and the baby still refused to reveal anything. Today I had another scan (damn bleeding) and finally I found out we're have a girl.

Oddly enough, I felt really strongly that my first pregnancy was a boy, but I m/c at 9 weeks and never knew for sure....

SchrodingersCatFliesToOz Thu 03-Mar-11 06:17:35

No heartburn, 2 hairy monkeys.

For DD1 I was convinced I was having a boy, everybody thought otherwise they were right.

For DD2 everybody told me I was having a boy. I knew better, I had the amnio. results grin 100% reliable.

There was a predictor which used all the midwife/old wife's tales, and give you a %. (they were right for DD2).

Will try to find the link.

SchrodingersCatFliesToOz Thu 03-Mar-11 06:26:50

I can't find quickly the one I had, it had more questions, but that kind of quizzes:

this

or this

Thanks Schro!

Ooh, pregnancy dreams, yes. Thanks for reminding me, duchesse and chipmonkey...

While pg, I had a very vivid dream about a tiny but perfect girl* with a highly recognisable face. I saw her very clearly.

DD was born four weeks premature at 5lb 1oz and the face was most definitely the one I saw in my dream. She was also perfectly healthy.

*Disclaimer: by then I knew she was a girl because I'd had amniocentesis.

MistyValley Thu 03-Mar-11 09:35:08

Low slung bump
Preferred sweet and fruity things (esp satsumas)
All day nausea for part of 1st trimester
Felt crappy and spotty through most of pg

Chinese predictor right
Spinning needle test right
Midwife heartbeat speed prediction right

= girl

MistyValley Thu 03-Mar-11 09:43:16

oh and no heartburn

Spinning needle test? Is that similar to the wedding ring test, MistyValley?

tadd Thu 03-Mar-11 10:06:40

jimmychoo17 im due in July too, and i agree, its miles away!!
We r waiting till the birth to find out what sex our little bundle of joy is.
We both think im having a boy.
No sickess, skin been fine, but im carrying really high! its a mystry. Oh and the Chinese predictor said boy too!

BuntyPenfold Thu 03-Mar-11 10:30:05

No sickness at all, no heartburn,no cravings, hairy baby GIRL.

Terrible sickness, dreadful heartburn, massive Braxton-Hicks (midwife couldn't believe it), no cravings (too ill) non-hairy BOY.

paisleypark Thu 03-Mar-11 11:16:34

my bump was all on the front so people kept saying it would be a boy and my sis did some amateur reflexology/poking about on my feet and claimed that revealed it would be male too. it was!

also was pretty sick throughout which is supposed to indicate a lot of hair. mine popped out with a fully grown mullet. he's 11 weeks now and needs a haircut...

smallsniffle Thu 03-Mar-11 11:21:08

I have 2 DSs

Chinese predictor says 2 girls.
Bump was all out in front both times.
No real cravings but was more into sweet things with DS1.
Was far more sick with DS2.
DS2 was much more active (which a lot of people said was a girl thing).

I also had loads more heartburn with DS2 who was less hairy than DS1.

saoirse86 Thu 03-Mar-11 11:57:25

I had a low bump all in front, no cravings as such just a much bigger appetite, very little nausea, no heartburn...

I had a girl with not much hair.

saoirse86 Thu 03-Mar-11 11:58:24

The chinese predictor says girl but it says anyone aged 21-24 who conceived in December would have a girl hmm

MistyValley Thu 03-Mar-11 12:10:56

Immaculada - yes, they just dangle a needle and thread and see whether it swings clockwise or anticlockwise (I think) - or maybe it's side to side as opposed to round and round, sorry can't remember confused

jugglingjo Thu 03-Mar-11 12:21:41

The only one I place much faith in is that you are likely to feel more sick with a girl.

I had a girl first and felt pretty sick between months 1 and 3.

With DC2 (a boy) I just felt tired and largely skipped the sickness.

Some people might say you're likely to feel less sick with each pregnancy anyway.
_ But the theory still worked for my friend who had two girls after a boy smile

I think there could be some truth in it depending on when in your cycle they are conceived too.
Boy sperms are fast but don't live as long.
Girl sperms slower but stay around longer.

So, one theory is for a girl DTD well before ovulating.
For a boy, on the day or just after !

theresapotatoundermysink Thu 03-Mar-11 12:27:21

Spinning ring test correct.

How I was carrying WRONG. Several people, including a nurse told me I must be having a boy.

DaisyDaresYOU Thu 03-Mar-11 12:30:16

I carried the same with ds and dd neat out front bumps but I knew dd was a girl just because I was extremely sick with ds but not dd

DumSpiroSpero Thu 03-Mar-11 12:32:49

I had a cheese fetish and was carrying 'boy shaped' but I knew from the day I found out I was pregnant I was having a girl (as did DH although we never had it confirmed at scans etc).

Two of my friends were pregnant at the same time and i predicted what both of them were having too - v. weird!

DumSpiroSpero Thu 03-Mar-11 12:34:58

Paisley I was sick for the whole 40 (actually 42 - grr!) weeks and had a little girl who was virtually bald until she was 2!

ShowOfHands Thu 03-Mar-11 13:10:57

I find people who believe wholeheartedly in this kind of guff similar to people harping on about star signs.

As a bit of fun, yes. 'Obviously it was girl as a dog shat on my front step on the first Tuesday of the 2nd trimester', no you're a bit touched.

IngridBergmann Thu 03-Mar-11 13:16:39

<applauds>

ShowOfHands Thu 03-Mar-11 13:19:17

Don't applaud. I was being rude. I should be admonished.

IngridBergmann Thu 03-Mar-11 13:20:10

Ok if you insist. <spanks Showy with a tennis racquet>

I hope that makes you happy you old perv smile

Are you a fire sign, then SoH?

Heh....

HLSalter Thu 03-Mar-11 13:30:34

Well OWTs have turned out to be wrong in my case. All storing and signs pointed to me having a girl and my scan revealed that I am having a little boy this morning.

ShowOfHands Thu 03-Mar-11 13:30:38

I'm a goat.

Horny.

Arf.

rowingboat Thu 03-Mar-11 13:45:52

Rather annoyingly, everyone I know predicted a boy and it turned out to be true.
I didn't have many cravings, but didn't really want sweet things, did eat a lot of mushroom soup.
Had quite a small bump, but then again, I do have very capacious hips. shock
Did not vomit.

muttimalzwei Thu 03-Mar-11 14:16:31

I was told by gypsies outsied the Alhambra in Granada that I would have a girl and 4 years later a boy. CORRECT!
With girl craved sweet and fruits, weight put on all over. With boy had savoury cravings, cheese, meat and was all in front.

muttimalzwei Thu 03-Mar-11 14:18:23

Chinese predictor also correct in both cases.

tweedlezee Thu 03-Mar-11 14:45:28

Only my Dad of all people predicted right.

I craved Chocolate bars by the truck load. Just can't eat this time. Nausea is worse. Who knows. Fifty chance ay?? But still haven't had my scan so worrying it could still be twins faint

Hi,

Im having my first child, 8 and bit weeks pregnant. Ive just done the Chinese predictor which tells me im having a boy, my first instinct was that i would have a boy but everyone else thinks baby will be a girl.
Ive had hardly any morning sickness compared to others, im just very tired and ratty.
What is the Wedding ring thing???
Also, what does DD, DS, DC and all the other abbreviations mean????

Thanks
x

catwomanga Thu 03-Mar-11 15:51:04

Heartburn=Hairy Baby=absolutely. I hated Gaviscon so much I self medicated with icecream and put on 4 stone. Let there be a lesson in that. Somewhere.

virgo1979 Thu 03-Mar-11 16:07:21

Another one to confirm hairy baby and heartburn theory. After I had had DS, I found half packets of remegel in every handbag, every coat pocket, in every room of the house, in the car, in DHs car and so on. DS was born with hair touching his shoulders and when spiked up was nearly 4 inches high grin

ilovesprouts Thu 03-Mar-11 16:53:53

my dd and i who both had boys was sick loads ,when i had her i was hardley sick at all

HopeCalvary Thu 03-Mar-11 17:04:47

Was no nonsense talker whilst normally I waffle. And ate lots more steak and boy type meals. Had a boy. Didn't gain much baby weight, lost it with b feeding. Think that's all typical boy stuff?!

HopeCalvary Thu 03-Mar-11 17:06:03

Also was hospitalised with sickness.

S7eph Thu 03-Mar-11 17:08:56

No predictions were correct with either of my two. The only person that got anything correct was my Mum guessing a girl for my second child and she was right.
I have a boy and a girl. I was much more physically unwell with my daughter, and caught lots of bugs, but that might be the fact I live with a pre-schooler who bring all the germs home with him!

AnnetteTwitcher Thu 03-Mar-11 17:35:19

WTF! That Chinese predictor thingy said I was 38 at age of conception but I was born in 1975! Harrumph, I know dc2 pregnancy is taking it out of me but things aren't that bad! Or am I 38?? So tired can't remember.

Hi katefirsttimer

Welcome and congrats!

DD, DS, DC=
Darling/Dear daughter / son / child

Click here for the full list smile

dutchjennie Thu 03-Mar-11 20:31:09

Chinese predictor was right for all three of my boys. The whole odd thing about eating the butt end of the bread (for a boy) was right, and various other things too about the way I carried and what I craved. Cannot remember the details now, littlest one is 3 and have put pregnancy firmly out of my mind. Had terrible morning sickness with oldest and youngest but not middle one and craved only carrots with middle one whereas chips and sweeties were my downfall with the oldest, so I presumed second was a girl as so different.

Leese69 Thu 03-Mar-11 20:41:14

I suffered really bad with acid indigestion and drank gaviscon as though it was going out of fashion - heard the wives tale about baby will have masses of hair.............our little girl was practically bald when she arrived!

naturalbaby Thu 03-Mar-11 21:26:57

moderate heartburn - reasonable heads of hair
football bump - boys
chinese gender test wrong for ds2
no cravings so don't know bout that one
couldn't get the wedding ring to work - maybe cause i used thread not a strand of my hair?

ningthemerciless Fri 04-Mar-11 11:00:37

Hmm. I was too chicken to do the ring thing (dunno why I was - probably superstition)
I was very neat and at 8 and a half months pregnant - people were still not noticing the bump!
Carried quite high the whole time too.
Barely any morning sickness.
Cravings weren't for anything foody but I couldn't get enough of strong smells - kitchen cleaner, Lush shops, that sort of thing.
Had ridiculous heartburn - Virgos half a pack of remegel everywhere is making me node sagely (and grin).

I had a boy and he was a proper baldy.

Kateaw Fri 04-Mar-11 15:46:41

Carried low. Craved butter.

Only two people expressed an opinion as to the gender of the baby. Both said I was carrying a boy. Both very opinionated people. Both were wrong grin

Had horrendous heartburn and my daughter was born with lots of hair. However, I suffered from heartburn before I ever got pregnant and I still do.

chipmonkey Fri 04-Mar-11 16:06:03

Annette traditionally in China, you are considered to be a year old at birth, which is why they have added that on!grin

cara2244 Fri 04-Mar-11 23:05:18

easy pregnancy first time - boy
tough pregnancy this time (ailment after ailment) - girl
They have been very, very different pregnancies so far!

chipmonkey Fri 04-Mar-11 23:42:12

I had a shite pregnancy with ds3. He was still a boy!grin

TanyaRamos156 Sun 12-Jun-11 02:08:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now