Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

17 weeks pregnant, drinking all that time...

(13 Posts)
SozzledandSorry Tue 25-Jan-11 21:18:56

Hi,

Am desperate for some reassurance here...

I recently discovered I am pregnant - the thing is, I am almost 17 weeks... had absolutely no idea, have been on the pill with periods as per usual (though mine are really irregular and erratic) and no symptoms.

Have been really busy with work/life so didn't twig until recently when I started busting out of my clothes! shock I know, I can't believe how daft I am either.

Huge shock to discover I was pregnant. But happy all the same - I really want this baby.

But here's the thing - I have been drinking for the past four months. Fortunately, I am not a binge drinker or anything like that. Even more fortunately, I was a bit sick over Christmas so didn't indulge as I usually would've.

Thinking back and doing frantic maths, I reckon I've probably had about eight to ten standard drinks every week. I remember only feeling tipsy on one occasion - not fall-down-drunk, just a bit merry.

Can anyone offer any advice, reassurance, stories of similar?

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 25-Jan-11 21:23:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 25-Jan-11 21:24:51

GoAwaySnow Tue 25-Jan-11 21:29:55

Firstly congratulations! I was a surprise pregnancy when.Mum was 22, she only found out when she gave birth to me in January (so right after Xmas drinks!) My Mum also wasn't a heavy drinker, just a couple at the weekend.

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Bluntly, the good news is that the amount you describe isn't anywhere near enough to cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. You need to be a very heavy drinker to be even close to that. The not so good news is that alcohol intake can slightly increase some risks. Note the word slightly.

There is nothing you can do about what you drank, and in your shoes my personal opinion would be "bugger, oh well, better stop drinking now then". Talk to your midwife about it so she can discuss any specific worries you have with medical facts.

And 30 years ago alcohol wasn't even an issue pregnant women had to consider and we're all here ok.

Congratulations too grin

Oneof4 Tue 25-Jan-11 21:34:23

Congratulations! If it helps, my mum drank as she usual would throughout three of her four pregnancies and we all seem fairly normal. I'm not advocating boozing, by the way, just sharing.

SozzledandSorry Tue 25-Jan-11 21:35:38

Thanks guys ... I feel in my heart that it's ok (sorry to sound even more of a flake than I did already) but just wanted some reassurance.

My mum told me her doctor prescribed her guiness for iron :/

violetwellies Tue 25-Jan-11 21:35:45

Ask your midwife, as there are a lot of variables, including poverty, diet, domestic violence, age, number of previous pregnancies and where in the world you live Not to mention the type of alchohol you consume.
I really dont think you've anything to worry about, but asa previous post states, I dont know your medical history.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 25-Jan-11 21:38:18

babynelly2010 Tue 25-Jan-11 22:15:28

I would not advocate this kind of a thing normally... but keep in mind people in 60s drunk and smoked through their pregnancies like there was no tomorrow, many went on to have normal children.
Did you have your scan, do things look normal? If yes, I would just relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy... congrats

Crystylline Wed 26-Jan-11 10:37:59

sozzled i could have written that post!

exactly the same circumstances as me.

I'm now 40 weeks and all indicators from scans, mw appts etc are that bump is fine.

one of the things my MW and consultant said to me was that I had a consistent lifestyle (i was also doing vast amounts of physical work, long hours etc), and it's consistency that is important.

if you suddenly stop or start doing something new that's stressful or changes majorly your routines, diet etc that can be more harmful/risky (according to them) than if you have an established pattern.

so, i slowly stopped working such manic hours and all the other activities that were going to become physically difficult to do in the later stages anyway.

I also toned down completely my drinking ( was at a similar level to yours), but then again, at a certain point (around 20 weeks) alcohol started tasting revolting anyway. I've been guided by my body and its needs all the way through.

hope you have a wonderful pregnancy and congratulations.

Jhas Wed 26-Jan-11 10:50:13

I have a few friends who have over indulged without realising (some who are massive party-heads), and whilst it's not ideal, their babies have turned out fine. I think the little blighters are more resilient than we give them credit for! As long as you keep to a healthy life style from now on then all should be well. If you are worried though, then go to the doctors.
Congratulations though! WOOOOP! A baby!

cloggs142 Wed 02-Feb-11 15:06:55

i know im a few days late replying to tis, but ve just seen it and wanted to add a few words of comfort. Found out i was pg at 20 weeks.....like you had no idea, as was on te pill and still had periods...although did feel horribly ill, was told by 3 seperate doctors on 3 seperate occasons that what i was feeling were side effects of the pill, and jst to take some strong paracetamol and ibroprufen to combat the pain. so i did, i took quite an amount of medicaton that isnt suitable while pg, especially early on. Aswell as that, not at the same time as painkillers, i was drinking a little more than the amount you describe. i was also a smoker ( not heavy) but enough to feel really guilty once i found out. Anyway, basically after all that bump seems absolutley fine! am 33 weeks now and hes growing nicely and doing really well. ive known people who have done a helluva lot worse in early pregnancy, and altoug im in no way condoening alcohol/smoking/painkillers/eating ALL the wrong foods........i think it takes quite alot to do proper damage.
Good luck with everythin
g. hope it all goes well for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now