Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do I need empty stomach for ECV?

(10 Posts)
CrapBag Tue 18-Jan-11 19:51:32

Baby is breech and I am having ECV. I read on here someone saying they were told not to eat or drink 6 hours before (I think I will pass out as it will be right on lunch time!) but the consultant didn't tell me this when she talked about it.

I had MW on Monday and I forgot to ask her but when she went through the procedure with me (explained it better than the consultant) she didn't mention anything about keeping an empty stomach.

Has anyone else been told to?

buttonmoon78 Tue 18-Jan-11 20:08:36

I don't think I did. Mine was around lunch time too. I think I had breakfast and then I seem to remember having something brought to me afterwards.

Mind you, I was out of my head on morphine so I wouldn't take anything I say as true!

moosemama Tue 18-Jan-11 20:27:49

Dd was found to be breech - again (she kept turning) when I went in for my pre-induction checks. I had an ECV done with no advance planning, as the only consultant in the PCT who could do it was on the antenatal ward at the time.

I had just had a danish pastry and coffee in the hospital coffee shop when they found out she was breech and had the ECV about an hour and a half later.

I didn't need any pain relief. First they monitored dd's heart and movemenn for about 45 minutes. I was then injected with the muscle relaxant (which did make me feel a bit spacey) then they did a quick portable scan to check her position and that of the umbilical cord, then the ECV itself took about a minute, if that and dd turned first time. It was uncomfortable but not painful and over in a flash . Finally they ran another trace to check dd's heart and movements and make sure she didn't go into distress (about another hour iirc) and I was allowed to go home. Where needless to say I sat bolt upright all night to try and stop her turning again before my induction in the morning. Thankfully she stayed put and was born after a labour of just over an hour the next afternoon.

Hope it goes as well for you. smile

StickThemWithThePointyEnd Tue 18-Jan-11 21:07:39

hi,
I think the reason some people might be told about not eating for 6 hours is because if an ECV leads to fetal distress, they like to perform an emcs there and then, which is obviously major surgery and always safer on an empty stomach.
don't quote me on that though
good luck!

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 18-Jan-11 21:10:11

I think you are meant to eat lightly beforehand from what I read from a leaflet explainng the procedure.

CrapBag Wed 19-Jan-11 09:40:40

Ok thanks. Seeing as they haven't said anything, I won't worry about it.

Nice to hear a nice positive story moose! Thats what I'm hoping for. I'll be gutted if she doesn't turn. I really don't want an ELCS but I won't try for a vaginal breech birth as I had a 3rd degree tear with DS and don't want to take a chance with a risky birth.

whostolemyname Wed 19-Jan-11 09:54:41

I would phone the labour ward to check. At my local hospital they like you not to eat for 6 hours before. If your hospital is the same then they might make you wait to 6 hours there or make you come back another day. Good luck!

CrapBag Wed 19-Jan-11 10:03:26

Ok, I'll give them a ring then. Don't want to be sent away or waiting for hours on end. It is bad enough up there normally!

ckny1 Wed 19-Jan-11 10:15:52

I agree that phoning the labour ward (or the MW) is a good idea. Also, don't quote me on this ( ), but I've read that it's difficult to poo after the c-section, so perhaps they just don't want you to fill your stomach too much to avoid the discomfort of not going for a few days...I have no clue...but may be interesting to read about what to expect in the days after...

lucysnowe Wed 19-Jan-11 12:24:20

I was told not to eat anything for the reason Ivy stated. (And offered tea and toast afterwards!) Def ring the hospital to make sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now