Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Itchy shins

(21 Posts)
nightowl1 Tue 28-Dec-10 16:37:09

I am 17 weeks pregnant and since about 7 weeks I've had really itchy and slightly dry skin mainly on my shins but occasionally on my lower back and lower arms too. I don't have any rashes and feeling ok otherwise. Does anyone have any suggestions of any creams or lotions I can try to help keep it at bay? So far tried oilatum, Johnson's baby oil and bio oil but none of them help for long

chocolatebuttontheif Tue 28-Dec-10 16:42:26

May not be relevant but are you drinking enough water?

I can't really help but if nothing works try olive oil!

Applemuncher Tue 28-Dec-10 16:47:04

I have the same thing! Boobs, nipples and shins - it's driving me crazy!!!! It's not my skin stretching and it's not dry skin either!

I'm going to mention it to the MW on Thursday when I see her so I'll let you know - I know itchy skin can be related to a liver condition so it's always worth asking.

ghosteditor Tue 28-Dec-10 16:58:26

I don't have much advice for you except to say that Aveeno is a good moisturiser which doesn't contain any irritants - it is made with oatmeal so soothes irritated skin. I have occasional flare ups of itchy skin and always use Aveeno.

My skin is also more dry in winter and can flare up when I'm too hot, so I try to keep the heating in the house low - you could try that too, hope it helps!

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Tue 28-Dec-10 17:23:43

The liver condition symptoms are itchy hands - more specifically the palms.

I have itchy calves, arms hands and sensitive skin in general. The MW or GP should be able to prescribe something soothing.

violetwellies Tue 28-Dec-10 18:26:20

Me too, driving me mad I feel like a bad case of fleas

jasmine51 Tue 28-Dec-10 18:29:17

Me too, not caused by stretching or liver probs. Going to ask MW as I'm scratching myself raw

ElleB1980 Tue 28-Dec-10 18:58:13

I've been having this on and off since about 20 weeks.
I found that on my shins and ankles it was often related to socks and boots getting tighter as my legs have been prone to swelling up. Calomine (sp?!) lotion really helped break the scratch cycle and for the last few weeks I've been able to just slather on the Bio Oil to keep it under control.
My midwife did order a liver function test when it first started though so you should probably go down that route too.

Toni2011 Tue 28-Dec-10 19:53:46

I have found that Bio oil works really well on my bump - it doesn't itch at all if I remember to use it, and I know when I forget as it really drives me nuts!

As for really dry skin/irritation on other areas of the body, try honey and propolis - it is a natural moisturising cream that really locks in the moisture without leaving you feeling sticky (as with some body lotions) or greasy (as with most of the oil-based products).

As said above though, do get it checked out too, just to be safe.

RockinRobinBird Tue 28-Dec-10 20:18:03

I am driven demented by itchy shins and ankles and I'm only 8 weeks. I shall have no skin left if it goes on much longer!

badkitty Tue 28-Dec-10 22:08:14

I have terrible itchy skin - its awful at the moment (9 weeks) but I get it even when not pregnant - I get something from boots called E45 Itch Relief cream which is brilliant much better than a plain moisturiser. Prob better double check with pharmacist that is ok to use when pregnant (although I used up an old tube last night without checking!)

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Tue 28-Dec-10 22:27:08

I just had a thought (I know, I know!) - do any of you take Omega 3 oil capsules (you can vegetarian ones which are plant based and safe in pregnancy). I bought some but hardly ever remember to take them and have itchy skin (have had in each pregnancy).

Just wondered if that's worth a try? And wonder if a deficiency/baby drawing on reserves is what causes the itchiness in the first place?

Didn't say it was a good thought... grin

Applemuncher Wed 29-Dec-10 15:48:41

I take Omega 3 oil - I still have itchy skin though sad

SaorAlba Wed 29-Dec-10 15:55:21

I have the same thing. Now 24 weeks and still here. Have tried Aveeno, oilatum and various steroidal creams. The only thing that has worked is stopping using soap or shower gel.

My skin has been much much better for the past month and a half. No soap or shower gel on any part if my body, not just avoiding the affected bits. Before I did this I was waking up scratching on the middle of the night and it was pretty depressing.

I was worried about smelling, but I don't seem to smell any worse.

SaorAlba Wed 29-Dec-10 15:57:18

I've also cut my nails really short so I can't scratch, but this is quite extreme.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Wed 29-Dec-10 16:43:26

You could wear scratch mits!

Bang goes the Omega 3 oil theory then!!

JBrd Wed 29-Dec-10 17:58:44

I've got this too, shins and thighs - and I found that it really depends on which clothes I wear! It gets really bad when I wear one particular pair of maternity jeans, up to the point when I have to change clothes because I can't bear it anymore.

I haven't changed any of my soaps or other bath products, but I've takek to religiously moisturising every day, i.e. slathering myself with a good body lotion. At the moment, I'm using a collection of body butters from Boots that seem to work quite well. For my bump I use Clarins Stretch Mark lotion.

Befoer my pregnancy, I'd have stayed well clear of these rich lotions/body butters because I tend to have very oily skin, but now they make all the difference.

GrumpyFish Wed 29-Dec-10 20:25:31

I have been really bothered by this but have finally found something that works - only temporary relief, but great when you put it on. It's Burts Bees "Mama Bee" Leg and Foot Cream (except I've been using it on my legs, arms, bump, all itchy bits!!). It was a present so I'm not sure whether it is expensive, but would definitely recommend it.

nightowl1 Wed 29-Dec-10 20:38:20

Thanks for the replies - I will definitely have to give some of those a try! Fortunately my bump has not itched once so far - it's just my legs and lower back that have a lovely collection of scratch marks...

I usually have short nails so that's not a problem - scratch mitts sound tempting but wouldn't stop the itch! I probably don't drink enough water so I'll see if drinking more helps. It mainly seems to be the evenings when it all gets itchy so maybe I should just wander around in my underwear at home and see if that helps too

Applemuncher Sat 01-Jan-11 15:38:09

Just to let you know - I asked my MW about it and she said she would 'assume' it's drumroll please.......

Hormones.

...blamed for everything! hmm

loubieloo76 Wed 26-Mar-14 19:49:30

Just tried haemorrhoid cream after reading this thread....it worked a treat!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now