Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

owwww, pulled a muscle from coughing so much!

(14 Posts)
snowangels1 Mon 20-Dec-10 07:48:22

owww. I've had a cough for a couple of weeks (left over from a coldy bug) and in the past few days have pulled some kind of muscle sort of in the area of my left rib. Thought bump discomfort etc was bad/annoying but tis nothing to this - have to get DH to push/lift me up from the sofa/bed/bath as it's so painful and can't cough without pain so am trying to do useless mini coughs to limit pain. It's also agony moving about in bed at night.

I've pulled muscles from coughing in the past so know it can be this painful, but is there any way I can make it heal up any quicker/limit more pain? Odd one I know.

Crystylline Mon 20-Dec-10 08:29:19

not moving.

strap it as well - bandages or a stretch bandage if poss.

sorry to not be much help. i broke my ribs a few years ago and have had muscular problems there ever since and the only thing that really works is proper bed rest.

put straws in your drinks, so you don't strain to reach them and prop yourself into the most comfy position with pillows etc.

get well soon.

snowangels1 Mon 20-Dec-10 12:38:56

I'm avoiding moving as much as poss crystylline but it's quite hard, especially the rolling over and getting out of bed wink

janedoe25 Mon 20-Dec-10 12:48:07

Ohh Angels no advice but i hope you feel better soon, and ake it to your midwife appointment!smile

littleyellowchicken Mon 20-Dec-10 14:45:54

Oh you poor, poor thing. I did exactly this last week and if someone told me I had broken a rib I would have believed them. It is excruciating. My only comfort for you is that WILL go away.
Hot water bottles and/or those compresses that you can microwave are great. Paracetemol.
Rest.
Not talking so that you don't start coughing.
Lots of drinks.
Not getting into a car or driving if at all possible.

I felt like a beetle on its back trying to get out of bed last week. I could not work out what was the least painful way - turned out there wasn't one.

Give it a few days to a week and it will be gone.

Good luck

RockinRobinBird Mon 20-Dec-10 15:05:09

I'm glad I found this, I have done the same (I hope). Pulled a muscle (or broke a rib) from coughing last week. It's got steadily worse and now my shoulder blades, neck and upper back are agony and it hurts to breathe in. There is no way I can sit or lie without it being agony. Sometimes I can feel my rib sort of popping which bothers me slightly...

It's starting to worry me as I can't get to the dr so I'm hoping this is what has happened.

snowangels1 Mon 20-Dec-10 15:15:41

littleyellowchicken that is exactly me getting out of bed - I've tried getting out every way possible and everything causes pain. Hot water bottle is a v good idea btw - will do that now.

rockinrobin that does sound bad - is there a way you can speak to GP on phone to check all is OK? I'm stuck at home too (due to snow) - such a pain as I have already missed a mw apt and prob won't make the one tomorrow either - was planning on checking with her my muscle.

littleyellowchicken Wed 22-Dec-10 14:20:39

And a hot bath. Stay in for as long as possible and keep topping up the hot water. You're not cured when you get out but it does help while you're in there.

I don't think GP will say anything apart from rest. There's nothing you can do for a pulled muscle in ribs even if you're not pregnant. I asked in chemist for muscle rubs but told no because they all contain either ibuprofin or aspirin.

RockinRobinBird Wed 22-Dec-10 22:10:55

I can vouch for that. I spent all day yesterday in a&e and there was nothing they could do despite me being seen by about 8 people. Just got more antibiotics and told me I could take a maximum of 2x plain paracetomol twice a day. Bit like putting a plaster on a broken leg...

RockinRobinBird Wed 22-Dec-10 22:16:59

Sticking plaster I mean not broken leg plaster...

<digs hole>

Parker23 Wed 22-Dec-10 23:24:13

I've done the exact same thing! I had a bad cough/cold last week and just when I thought it was better I suddenly get bad rib pain. Thought it was just the baby in a funny position but now it's just my left rib a I'm in agony!

Seems very unfair seeing as I'm mentally preparing myself for one of the most 'uncomfortable' (understatement of the year!!) experience of my life, to then have to spend the weeks before in this much pain!

I too cracked a rib a few years back so I also get a bit of agro from that area and I know there is bugger all that you can do to 'mend' it bar rest and hot water bottles...sigh!

I'm so glad I found this thread though. The hormones were making me imagine all sorts of other explanations!confused

snowangels1 Thu 23-Dec-10 09:39:36

Well, I think I've had it for a week now and still there - hope it goes soon - last time I pulled a muscle from coughing it seemed to take weeks to go. On the plus side, my cough has nearly gone so it's just the getting up from sofa/bath/bed/moving that is bad.

Baby was in painful position last night so got on the floor with my bum in the air (pg yoga DVD said that's good) but then got stuck as it hurt so much on my rib to get up again - poor DH had to heave me up, and I was so heavy he took a few failed and very painful attempts. I got such giggles (if you don't laugh you'll cry) about the whole unglamorous situation of pg!

Parker23 Fri 24-Dec-10 13:40:29

Been to the doctors this morning! Just had to go because I was howling in agony when I tried to go to bed last night! It was hilarious! I sounded crazy and the neighbors were probably expecting me to have given birth in the night! Me and DH were giggling like crazy which just hurt more so I was half laughing half crying!

Anyway, she gave me a low dose Co-Codamol to take till things felt better! Thank god! I've gone from being scared to take a Paracetamol to begging for something stronger! It's a great relief to be able to breath without wincing!

Hope you all have a great Christmas despite the pain! Remember, lots of rest and be careful when pulling those crackers!wink

snowangels1 Fri 24-Dec-10 14:19:06

Glad you've got something stronger parker. I had the misfortune last night of a loud painful click in my back when reaching for a glass of water on my bedside table - have been in agony since with pain on my ribs from coughing muscle damage and now on my back - barely got any sleep last night confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now