Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Those of you with small cars, which pram/travel system did you get?

(34 Posts)
Esme11 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:17:27

The pram search continues......

We have a Ford KA with a tiny boot but we can't afford to get a bigger car right now. I want a travel system that can be used from birth but my local pram store said the only model that will fit in the car boot is the Babystyle Oyster. It seemed like a great system at first but now I've read about people having problems with it on here.

Surely there must be another model that will fold up small enough to go in a little boot.

Any recommendations please?

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 13-Dec-10 15:19:18

Babyjogger citymini pushchair with maxi cosi car seat

Petite star zia

Quinny Zapp xtra

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 13-Dec-10 15:19:38

Maybe a bugaboo bee?

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 13-Dec-10 15:20:34

Also your "local pram store" is only going to advise on what they have.

Have you tried John Lewis?

ethelina Mon 13-Dec-10 15:21:46

Well its not strictly a travel system but my Babyjogger City Mini fits in the boot of my Mini Cooper if I take the front wheel off, and you can buy an adaptor to take a Maxi-Cosi carseat making it a travel system. (I never did though)

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 13-Dec-10 15:22:27
IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 13-Dec-10 15:22:29

The loola goes pretty small, not sure if it's small enough to go in your boot but worth a look? What about the Maclaran
s? Some of those are suitable form birth.

Other than that, do you have a split rear seat? Could you fold half down to make more space?

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 13-Dec-10 15:23:23

I can't express how great the BJCM really is and taking a wheel off is sooooooo easy.

Zapp. Loved it.

bessie26 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:25:48

I had a Polo & could get the Quinny in the boot if I took the wheels off.

Maxicosi car seat fitted in with the ISOfix on the back seat too.

Have you asked at Mothercare? We found the assistants to be very helpful

saintava Mon 13-Dec-10 15:26:13

We have a VW Fox and my next door neighbour has a KA, and we both have the maxi-cosi streety travel system, it folds down soooo small, is really light too so easy to put in and out of the boot - have used it for a year now, and although it is a little bigger now that using it as a pushchair all the time, it still folds so small.

The travel system I originally wanted, and luckily decided to try before I bought, didn't fit in my boot, so was recommended this one by the shop, and am really pleased with it smile

Esme11 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:26:16

Thanks DietCoke. Can I ask if you have used any of these yourself and found them to be decent?

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 13-Dec-10 15:27:47

OP Please dont be tempted to do a split seat. Its so dangerous in the event of an accident. I think it was you who had a post about this before. Glad you are reconsidering your original choice.

If you put Ford Ka pushchair into google lots of forum posts come up.

Good Luck!

Esme11 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:28:22

Just saw all the other replies...thank you. Good to know I have more options than just the Oyster, although I part of me was relieved to have the vast choice whittled down!

Esme11 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:29:22

Yes Dietcoke, I was thinking of doing the split seat but am now only going for a pram that will fit in the boot.

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 13-Dec-10 15:31:08

I have a BJCM and it is really easy to use. Would be my first choice if it fitted in your boot.

Zapp. I had a second hand one and found it filmsy.The frame had become too "bouncy". Putting up and down kerbs I thought it was going to break!

Petite Star Zia only played with in shops but reckon the frame could go same way as Zapp.

PaisleyLeaf Mon 13-Dec-10 15:34:58

I was happy using a sling then a stroller.

saintava Mon 13-Dec-10 15:36:10

I now have the additional problem of possibly having to find a double that will fit in my car, as I am 15 weeks pregnant, DD will only be 17 months old when second one comes along, though as she has just started walking on and off, maybe I could get away with a buggy board (not going to worry until nearer the time though!)

ethelina Mon 13-Dec-10 15:36:23

No experience of the others but the BJCM is excellent.

I have a Bee+ as my boot is tiny, I would've loved a carrycot for my three-wheeler but that measn taking the wheel off each time which is a PITA - anyway the Bee is great, am v happy and can see it being used until we don't need a pushchair anymore.

greentig3r Mon 13-Dec-10 15:46:36

We had same problem and went for Baby Jogger City Mini and a Group 0/1+ car seat, so no travel system (though as someone posted, you can do this if you buy adaptors).

Esme11 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:54:56

You are all so helpful. Thank you. I am going to head down to Mothercare this week armed with your list!

Sugarmuppet Mon 13-Dec-10 15:59:40

icandy Cherry fits in the boot of my Mini with room to spare, can't image many boots are smaller! And its a fantastic pram!

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Mon 13-Dec-10 16:04:02

I have the same car and have a Bugaboo Bee - it was the only one I could find that fit after much searching.

mejon Mon 13-Dec-10 18:23:51

I had an iCandy Apple and a Renault Clio. It would lie down flat in the boot if I took one wheel off or it could fit standing up on its side. Not much room for anything else though!

trixie123 Mon 13-Dec-10 19:05:23

sugarmuppet how the hell do you do that? I got rid of my mini for a nissan note when we had DS and the cherry takes up the whole boot. I like it as a pram but in hindsight would have got one that you dont have to take the seat off to fold it. In the summer we got a little umbrella fold and it was so much quicker and less hassle. have reverted to the cherry for the bad weather but am now searching out a double that will easily fit!

Huxley68 Mon 14-Feb-11 20:41:21

The I Candy peach fits into my mini convertable boot really well )) The carry cot fitted in too.
If you go to John Lewis they will let you try the buggys in your car boot.
Best Of Luck!)))

i've got the britax b-mobile stroller (suitable from birth) which folds down in to my Peugot 107 WITHOUT removing any seats or wheels (most prams i found advertised as fitting in a mini needed completely dismantling!). It comes with attachments for a car seat and the standard carry-cot now fits it too (not advertised as such with most retailers but info recently updated on their website)

We've got a fiesta and the bebe confort loola up folds down very small

Foreverondiet Mon 14-Feb-11 22:57:13

jane link

the chassis folds up very small - unlike a maclaren (which is narrow but long folded) it is short and quite narrow when folded.

I loved the flat car seat - means you don't need to worry about how long the baby is in it for and it really does function as a carrycot from birth. i have a much older model, still going strong with DC3.

As a guide I can fit it behind my 3rd row in the zafira - a maclaren will not fit.

Rachel1011 Fri 04-Mar-11 23:18:39

I have a Ka my self and still manage to fit a silvercross frame and carseat in by folding down half the back seat...try fitting in car be4 buying as some shops will try and make u spend more money than nessasery.

Saffra Sun 06-Mar-11 10:51:04

I have a v small boot (Mazda MX5) and have been looking at the Baby Jogger City Mini. It's SO easy to fold and lightweight (without feeling flimsy, like some other ones), it looks brilliant.

onadietcokebreak Sun 06-Mar-11 12:46:02

Saffra. If you can wait and get your hands on the 2011 version of the BCM its been improved. Easier fitting for the carrycot and car seat I think

Saffra Mon 07-Mar-11 16:19:30

Thanks onadietcokebreak, will take a look at the difference between the two models when the 2011 is out. Not buying until late summer, so can wait I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now