Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnant at 45!

(26 Posts)
tabitha333 Mon 04-Oct-10 16:03:51

Hi,

Is there anyone else out there in a similar position to me?
I discovered 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant. Not planned, not assisted therefore.Frankly, I had just moved in with my partner into our new home and so much was going on that I wasnt taking precautions.The risk of falling naturally at 45 is supposed to be almost nil!

I had a scan on weds and there was a heart beat. There is obviously a high risk of miscarriage at my age and so I am trying to carry on as normal. Only my partner knows and he is rather shocked!

I have 3 children from a previous marriage and my youngest is 10 so there would be a big age gap. Frankly, I think I would be a bit embarrased to tell people I am pregnant!

I have very mixed feelings.

Anyone else pregnant naturally in their mid forties? i would love to have some support.

Arranoxford Sun 13-Jan-13 21:43:33

Hi Beetle 84.
My sister has 3 micarriages and went on to have 2 lovely kids in a row without any trouble.

Hang in there and best of luck. xx

mynameis Sun 13-Jan-13 19:14:19

Onlyconnect this is a 2010 thread.

Congratulations on your pregnancy though smile

Onlyconnect Sun 13-Jan-13 19:05:42

I am in a situation very similar to yours. I am 45 and unexpectedly pregnant. I have one DD aged 7 ( nearly 8) and did not expect another. Like you one of my worries is ebarrassment although at the moment I am worried about almost evey aspect of it all. I'm really struggling, which won't be of much comfort to you. I am gojng to have the tets at 12 weeks too.
I am 9 weeks at the moment so we must have pretty simiar due dates.

Taffeta Sun 13-Jan-13 14:24:08

Oh yeeeees....

mynameis Sun 13-Jan-13 13:21:08

Oh I want to know how she got on smile

potatopotato Sun 13-Jan-13 13:20:27

Very old thread, its from 2010!!

Taffeta Sun 13-Jan-13 13:09:27

My BF had her first and only at 44, no problems, her DD now 9.

Beetle84 Sun 13-Jan-13 13:07:27

congratulations! I'm 6 weeks pregnant with no 1 and will be 43 in April! Its really reassurring to read about all of you older mums. We are praying that we make it through this time (4 miscarriages! including 1 failed IVF) - we were just about to start IVF again and got pregnant naturally - Yay! Wishing you a very healthy pregnancy!

Arranoxford Sat 12-Jan-13 22:36:32

Yes I fell pregnant at 45 too. only one month after meeting my new partner. one of the first ythings he told me was that he wanted to have more children and answered, I am too old. Famous last words.
I am 19 weeks now and loving the idea> bump growing, shock at first of course but time has settled me.
I have an 11 year old and she is so excited.
I did not have amnio but there is a new test called the Harmoney test> just a blood test, non invasive. You can only get it privately at the Featal Medical Centre. Very accurate.
Lovely to knoe there are others out there> i too had thought my fertile days were over.

Warmest wishes

Arranoxford

JazzieJeff Tue 05-Oct-10 22:19:42

Wow OP! Get you and your fertility! Congratulations! Don't think age comes into it. As long as you feel like this is something you can deal with, go for it.

I hope your pregnancy is healthy and happy xx

lee69 Tue 05-Oct-10 22:00:44

Congratulations tabitha33 Im 41 and due baby no 4 go with the flow and love this you are very blessed and be proud to shout it out. xxx

ChunkyChick Tue 05-Oct-10 20:02:13

Just had number two at nearly 42. Would love to get pregnant with another one but would find three pre-schoolers a bit hard to deal with!

FindingMyMojo Tue 05-Oct-10 13:44:49

congrats! I'm 43 tomorrow & 10 weeks with #2.

EldritchCleavage Tue 05-Oct-10 13:22:32

Are you a Guardian reader? They have a regular column in the Family section (Saturdays) by a mother of 5 in exactly your position, and it is lovely.

tabitha333 Tue 05-Oct-10 13:15:20

wow! It doesn`t seem I am the only one!

I do hope things go well as this would be my only chance to have a baby with my new partner.Just hope all the kids think it is a good idea when they know.You never know, it may be a great bond between my 3 and his 2, although they do get on well already.

Not showing yet but it is only 8 weeks..keep peering in the mirror to see if my tum has come out yet!

colditz Tue 05-Oct-10 11:24:22

my Grandma fell pregnant at 46, in 1969. She had no complications.

Madhouse41 Tue 05-Oct-10 11:19:31

Oh and I meant to say, I too was really embarrassed about telling people, especially my parents, but I have to say MOST people have been amazing and my friends are so excited. I have so many friends who are desperate to help once the baby arrives and who tell me how jealous they are as their kids are older.

Once you are ready, just go for it. You'll be amazed, I'm sure, at their support. smile

Madhouse41 Tue 05-Oct-10 11:15:56

Congratulations! I'm 41 and expecting baby number 4. I have an 3 DS who are nearly 13, nearly 11 and 7 so quite an age gap too. I had an ectopic 3 years ago that ruptured and I lost a tube and therefore thought it very unlikely that I would have any more. It was a big surprise when I found out in March that I was pregnant!! I am now 35 weeks and although my body seems to be struggling a bit and I am tired, I am very much looking forward to this little ones' arrival and all the time I will be able to spend with it while the others are at school.

I too am pretty fit and I think as long as you are fit and healthy you will be absolutely fine. Good luck. smile

bumperella Mon 04-Oct-10 18:35:26

This isn't really support as such, but maybe reassurance (or interference perhaps!).
My grandmother was 48 when she had my Dad, this was in the 1940's. He is absolutely fine (she lived to 98, was mentally and physically able until the end, so appeared that it did her health no harm).

mejon Mon 04-Oct-10 16:39:56

Congratulations! I'm 42 and expecting no2 in January. I had DC1 at 38. Ours was planned in that we decided we'd try for a 2nd, but it happened far quicker than we'd originally imagined so the speed of conception for us was quite a shock. 25 weeks now and getting used to it!

tabitha333 Mon 04-Oct-10 16:16:11

Hi Sasie23.

It will either keep us young or kill us off!
Glad to hear it was a good experience for your mum and dad.

I am quite fit and healthy so I expect that kept my eggs in good working order to this ripe old age!

shandydrinker Mon 04-Oct-10 16:14:15

congratulations on your surprise! I just had a healthy baby boy and am 43 next month. Am really enjoying late motherhood smile

My friend has 11 years between hers and found it great when dd2 was young because dd1 was so involved in her care.

tabitha333 Mon 04-Oct-10 16:10:53

Thanks Coldcomfortfarm.

Life is wierd sometimes isn`t it?

Im thinking carefully about testing now. I am going to have the combined nuchal/blood tests at 12 weeks.Let`s hope its good news.

sassie23 Mon 04-Oct-10 16:09:12

Im sure you will have loads of messages of support but just wanted to let you know my mum had me when she was 45 after 6 children and the gap between me and my nearest sibling is 10 years!! She has always said it was the best surprise of her life and I really think I have kept her and Dad young!! My sis in law recently had her first at 41 nearly 42 and is loving every min, so all the luck in the world to you and your family smile

ColdComfortFarm Mon 04-Oct-10 16:06:50

Not me (though not far off!), but have four friends who had babies at 45/46 and they seem quite normal! Kids happy and healthy etc, and they cope just the same as anyone else. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now