Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Health visitor visit BEFORE birth

(19 Posts)
LouM10 Tue 14-Sep-10 10:47:12

Hey. Was just wondering if anyone else has had a visit before dc was born. Got a phonecall this morning to say the health visitor was meant to be visiting tomorrow but is sick so they will let me know when she is back. A letter was meant to be sent but I have not received it yet. Is this normal?

ShowOfHands Tue 14-Sep-10 10:52:23

Yup.

You don't have to see them. They just come and introduce themselves, chat to you about local facilities (toddler groups, massage etc), give you some leaflets etc. Nothing to worry about, it's just making sure you have no questions at a time when you're not severely sleep deprived and covered in newborn poo and vomit.

LouM10 Tue 14-Sep-10 11:19:52

haha thank you. Was thinking it some sort of pre baby inspection to see if I'm fit to be a mother. Bearing in mind my dining table is literally 2 foot higher thanks to folded up washing that I havnt had the energy to put away haha

Doretaball Tue 14-Sep-10 11:49:33

I had this too - was v apprehensive about it thinking it was a test as well!

In the end, I was pleased to have been able to meet her before the chaos begins - at least its not then a complete stranger coming into your home when you've got the new baby.

Mine also talked a bit about postnatal care, breastfeeding and SIDS etc - was useful.

ShowOfHands Tue 14-Sep-10 11:52:55

They're not there to judge. They get a bad press (deserved in some cases) but they're a team of people trained to offer support and help. They are not coming to look at your washing pile or paintwork. Honestly, they're introducing themselves. Mine did chat about SIDS too and meningitis and if I had all the out of hours doctors and walk in centre details etc. My lovely, lovely, lovely hv where I used to live just wanted to say hello and point out any local facilities/help I might not have known about.

LouM10 Tue 14-Sep-10 13:30:03

Feel much better now thanks Ladies. Sounds like it will be quite interesting actually

Message withdrawn

tiredfeet Tue 14-Sep-10 15:42:55

I've got one coming this week (I'm 36 weeks). I was a bit unsure about it but it has been a good incentive to keep the house tidy! I do like the sound of the fact they will tell me what is available in the local area etc, as we're still quite new to the area and don't know any parents here

what I thought was strange though is that she only seems interested in seeing me. Even though obviously I'm the one taking maternity leave, me and DH will both be becoming parents and surely a lot of the information is relevant to both of us.

sedgiebaby Tue 14-Sep-10 15:56:56

Yes at 36/37 wks annd she was fantastic, really helped when I asked for advice on Breast feeding, PND and vaccines

greenbeanie Tue 14-Sep-10 17:00:41

I am a HV (run for cover as about to get slated). We try and visit antenatally to introduce ourselves and also explain the service and what facilities are available locally. It is certainly not an inspection more a chance for you to meet us and also discuss any concerns you might have about care of your new baby, breastfeeding, PND etc.

The only times I have had to take action based on the state of a house is when it is unfit for a child to be in. One house I went in I stepped over the dog faeces on the living room carpet, moved the hypodermic needles and syringes from the sofa before sitting down and left covered in flea bites. It really makes your pile of ironing pale into comparison smile

tiredfeet Thu 16-Sep-10 17:19:20

was just going to say I've had my visit and it was actually quite helpful. She was friendly and really informative. My main worry has been that I don't know any other mothers in the area (we only moved recently, and the friends I have made aren't at the babies stage yet). She was really reassuring about it all. I actually like the fact that I've met her now, rather than meeting her for the first time with a new baby.

I wouldn't worry about it being a house inspection. DH was busy doing diy when our health visitor came round ( I think he's nesting too...), and there were drills and all sorts all over the place, but she didn't bat an eyelid.

JorrisBohnson Thu 16-Sep-10 17:29:42

We're planning on introducing these very soon within my team, I think the idea is a very, very good one. It gives great continuity of care and an increased level of support to those who need it the most. Can't wait.

As for the washing/ironing pile the HV really won't mind. She probably has the same in her house too. smile

Laska Thu 16-Sep-10 19:41:54

What if you don't want a HV, because you're happy with the support you have around you and are well aware of groups in the area etc... Can you simply say thank you but no thank you?

JorrisBohnson Thu 16-Sep-10 20:04:56

Laska, of course you can say you don't want any help/support/advice but why limit yourself from one of the services you pay for, as a tax payer? you might find it very helpful.

If you have had bad experiences with an HV/other health professional or you've met your HV already and don't like her then it's more understandable but if not then why not see what is on offer from their service? Unless there is an identified need (e.g social/medical etc) then you'll get a new birth visit once the midwife has discharged you, a follow up about a week later then that's it unless you want or need more. Well baby clinics are open to have your baby weighed and to ask any questions you may have but no one is going to force you into anything! The NHS is there to help you.

Laska Thu 16-Sep-10 20:11:55

That's a good point and I need to give it some further thought - I'll keep an eye on this thread to get more of in idea about it all.

mummytime Thu 16-Sep-10 20:18:34

I had one, its to introduce themselves really, so you don't suddenly get a stranger at the door when the midwife goes. HVs vary but the two at my surgery are lovely, and both Mums so ignore little things (including my DD running into the roadway at Tescos in front of her, she knew it was just a 2 year old escape nightmare).

They tend to do the checks, 6 weeks etc. and 2 year ish one. They often give you the free books, and are the people you can pop in to see if you have any little worries.

(They also give you the PND questionaire).

My house is a tip, and chaotic, but mine really don't judge.

mamasunshine Thu 16-Sep-10 20:52:30

greenbeanie I'm completely shock by that! And yes, as everyone else has said completely normal visit, I think I was given leaflets on SIDS and how to co-sleep safely if thats what we ended up doing etc!

Meglet Thu 16-Sep-10 20:55:06

I wish we had had a pre-baby visit when I had my first DC. I didn't know about any groups / baby clinics so could have done with the info so I could plan ahead.

LouM10 Sun 19-Sep-10 10:56:57

Wow. Thanks everyone. Looks like it will be quite good really. And after greenbeanies comment about the house with syringes, I will display my washing with pride! haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now