Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What are your most random triggers for feeling morning sickness/nausous?

(73 Posts)

Today as I stopped at a traffic light, I glanced over at the house I was next to and saw that their windows were frosted glass. And it made me feel really sick. I have no idea why.

Other triggers:

cat food (not surprising)

the smell of my car (bit of a problem this one)

the mention of mayonnaise (especially as 'mayo') (just typing that wasn't fun)

I think I'm going mad.

daisystone Mon 13-Sep-10 22:17:35

I used to run through the kitchen holding my nose.

Once I smelled DH cooking something downstairs and I told him I hated him and that I never wanted to see him again. Such was the ferociousness of my nausea.

nameymcnamechange Mon 13-Sep-10 22:20:31

Just the thought of coffee, tea or wine.

The smell of my washing up liquid (I have never been able to use the same brand since).

Being in a supermarket. Any aisle in any supermarket.

BabyGiraffes Mon 13-Sep-10 22:26:58

People! My sense of smell turned hyper sensitive in both pregnancies and I had to keep my distance or face the consequences... Luckily did not apply to dh smile

Not pg any more, but with DS1 it was purple. As in the colour.confused

I've been meaning to start a thread on it actually.

I'm over it now, but I'm still a littlewary.

DH thinks I wsa making it up.angry

Oh, and Sainsbos own brand non-bio. Still can't stand it. Blurgh.

The smell of our accountant at work confused.

Also water, in fact all drinks except Beck's alcohol free beer (very confused)

Kiwiinkits Mon 13-Sep-10 23:53:54

The smell of the fridge when I opened it seemed to bring on the nausea
Even LOOKING at a tin of tuna made me ill
The cleaning product that is used in the foyer of our apartment building

The taste or even the thought of hot soup. Ditto chicken. Couldn't handle the thought of eating any cooked meat during first trimester. Blerk!

janski31 Tue 14-Sep-10 14:53:52

The bathroom cabinet and looking at tins of baked beans in tesco!!!

caramellokoalalover Tue 14-Sep-10 16:11:07

As well as quite a few of the others people have mentioned:

Pancetta or bacon frying with pesto
The smell of a new loo roll out of the plastic
Porridge

Bizarrely I am loving the smell of fresh paint though...even though I know I shouldn't be inhaling paint fumes, and that electrical burning type smell you get from building sites confused

HeadingHome Tue 14-Sep-10 16:23:56

I tell my husband that cleaning makes me sick.

Bonners Tue 14-Sep-10 17:12:34

Any hot drinks made me sick. I couldn't drink tea or even have soup.

I also cannot bear the smell of Lancome Hypnose Senses perfume. It was a christmas gift and i got pregnant on 27 December. I'm due tomorrow and still haven't been able to wear it. The bottle is full and I am just going to have to give it away!

butter! in last pg but not this one. agree with poster who said butter, definitely. Could smell it at the slightest provocation.

comewhinewithme Tue 14-Sep-10 17:25:00

Mine were odd:

Opening the fridge door - everytime I opened it I puked.

The smell of cardboard,looroll and paper.

Having a poo used to set me off too blush.

Pregnancy is so bloody glamorous.

mousebacon Tue 14-Sep-10 20:32:33

The cupboard at work with the coffee/tea in it, the smell of the hairdrier, going to bed - it seems as though as soon as I lay my head down the nausea kicks in again. Am 8 and a bit weeks and it's tricky to keep this a secret!

lucielooo Wed 15-Sep-10 17:24:44

Water! Food fine, but water on an empty stomach makes me sick

And reading Which is so depressing!

LoulouCapone Wed 15-Sep-10 19:43:30

queeferSutherland my trigger with ds was green. Our corporate logo at work is green so I had to have the preset logo on my pc desktop changed. There were lots of hmm faces at that.

This time it's anything. I can't even do an online shop because thinking about any food makes me retch. I can't go in my kitchen without being sick and my whole house smells funny.

There's a house near me with a kingfisher stained glass window - I have to avoid driving past it at all costs.

I'm 8 wks, and I've been like this for 5 wks now. With dd it went at 16wks and was nowhere near as bad, but with ds it stayed til he was born. So I'm thoroughly depressed by that thought.

erm pretty much anything, but especially anything healthy. Tonights dinner consisted of Haribo Moam sweet - at least they were fruit flavoured???

weliveonpastaandtoast Thu 16-Sep-10 16:33:49

Any food that wasn't cake/biscuit/chocolate.
Barbecues - especially the smell of those instant chemically ones. First trimester with both kids was in July/August, we live on top floor, had to keep windows shut even on boiling days.

Also we live in Orthodox Jewish area and on certain days of the week EVERY HOUSE fries fish. Some days the entire neighbourhood seemed to be frying fish, or having barbecues...

kiwiinlondon Fri 17-Sep-10 10:30:49

with my ds I was really sick until 17 weeks - and then (as if by magic) it just went away one day. thank bl00dy whoever did that!

I couldn't keep anything down - particularly not water - which made things tricky when I got v dehydrated. awkward...

I used to have to walk past a curry house that would start their cookers up in the morning. for 4 months in the middle of winter I would walk a long windy route to the tube to avoid the nasty smells first thing in the morning. it still makes me want to retch thinking about it.....

splash73 Fri 17-Sep-10 14:57:46

Opening the fridge, convenience food (particularly when heated up in the microwave), frying onions, green vegies, and toast all made me want to run for the hills in the first twelve weeks.

This is a bit embarrassing, but I had to put away all our pale yellow plates and bowls and use a different set of crockery, as the yellow ones made me feel sick!! So weird!

Also, all the way through this pregnancy I have had to hold my breath when walking past fast food shops and places like Subway. Even walking up our street yesterday I gagged when I could smell food cooking coming from someone's house.

Brushing teeth was hard in the first twelve weeks too...

Lottie (35 + 1)

JillyCoopersJoyousOtter Fri 17-Sep-10 16:31:58

Any coats that were made of Nylon like material, or shiny scratchy material. Id catch sight of one, on a jogger or something, and imagine how it would feel, all shiny etc, and be sick. I cant really describe the feeling I got looking at shiny coats.

Also the smell of men. My nose went into hyperdrive and all men had a distinctive 'man' odour about them. Could smell one from 100yards. Bleugh.

CoraBear Fri 17-Sep-10 21:31:06

Water, icepops, chinese food or the smell of chinese restaurants in my neighbourhood, the dishwasher when it has dirty dishes in it-really really awful insta vom trigger. The dishwasher with clean dishes in it, I can't bear the hot chemical smell. The hoover, it's the hot air smell and the smell of the bin.

Oh and the smell of alcohol, I can tell the brand of beer from my Dp's breath, it's horrendous.

thelunar66 Fri 17-Sep-10 21:34:15

It is 18 years ago, but the smell of my cast iron frying pan heating up was truely vile. I can still remember it to this day <<shudder>>

And 18 years down the line I am only just starting to face coffee again sad

fairybubbles Sat 18-Sep-10 01:00:40

butter/margarine both make me sick. I dont butter any bread or toast now and I cant even look at either without feeling sick.

I also hate fast food smells like the ones you get from burger vans in the park or at fun days, i actually have to walk past with my jumper over my nose and try not to breathe in!

Opening the fridge and smelling any kind of meat also does it.

Have reached the 14 week mark and these are the things that still seem to trigger my nausea and sickness.

Oh and I nearly forgot I now hate the smell of coffee but on the otherhand i love the smell of petrol at the fuel station!

msbossy Sat 18-Sep-10 06:29:13

With DD1 it was imperial leather handwash. I'd had a bug and washed my hands so often the smell became synonymous with puking. Still can't abide it.

This time:
Water on an empty stomach
Hot drinks
Smell of new carpet (can't admit this to DH as I pestered about getting it for so long)
Dettol (unfortunate when potty grainy DD1)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now