Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When were you able to squeeze a bit of colostrum out?

(36 Posts)
ReshapeWhileDamp Tue 10-Aug-10 19:40:55

Last pregnancy, with DS, I was obsessed fascinated with the changes in my boobs and I started noticing little beads of colostrum by 20 weeks if I gently squeezed my aerola (I know it was 20 weeks, I remember seeing this just before a Rufus Wainwright gig that was dead on 20 wks! grin). I think I'd been noticing it for a couple of weeks by then.

I'm 20 weeks now, and nada. Does colostrum appear at random times in different pregnancies? Would it have anything to do with bf-ing DS until about 6 wks into this pregnancy?

Am I still too obsessed with my pregnant boobs?? grin

dinkystinky Tue 10-Aug-10 19:43:56

Um, not until after DS1 actually arrived - same with DS2 to be honest. Though have to admit didnt spend too long inspecting my melon sized boobs in either pregnancy...

cinnamongreyhound Tue 10-Aug-10 19:54:16

My breast leaked from 20 weeks when pregnant with DS and this time I was quite worried as I had nothing for ages. There is milk there when I squeeze but it has only leaked on a couple of occasions and it was about 30 weeks. I assumed it was just because my breasts were going to be better at regulating milk this time as I fed for 15 months last time. Hoping that it won't pour out of me at quite the same rate as it did last time grin

getstuffed Tue 10-Aug-10 20:05:26

Oucccchhhhhh! AND omg just had a medium squeeze and got a tiny drop!!!!!! Oooooooo am excited now!!!!!!!! (35 weeks so I guess it's to be expected but thanks for making me giddy, I need all the cheap thrills I can get at this time).

KFW Tue 10-Aug-10 22:08:22

Yikes! I hadn't even thought of trying this and I just did and some came out! That is a really weird thing to see.

It doesn't really help you though OP - and I am 29 weeks so I have no idea whether this is a new phenomenon or not.

ReshapeWhileDamp Tue 10-Aug-10 22:59:09

Dinky - I am just odd. grin

I suspect that after having breastfed, maybe my boobs know what to do more...? (This being the scientific explanation!)

Am sharing your thrills vicariously, Getstuffed! grin

getstuffed Wed 11-Aug-10 09:49:48

Innit like! dd didn't do the boob thing but I really want to this time, have even read a book and everything (Ooooooo). Can feel myself becoming slightly obsessed as well grin

mummytosquidgies Wed 11-Aug-10 12:28:14

With DS I started leaking around week 27-30 I think, it was awful, it wasn't just squeezing it out, I had to start wearing breast pads.

This time, I'm currently 37+5, and although I have crust on my nipples which is obviously colostrum that has dried, nothing comes out if I squeeze.

I'm slightly obsessed with it too, it's sad isn't it grin

Porcelain Wed 11-Aug-10 13:41:12

From 20 weeks for me. I first noticed because I was leaking after sex. It doesn't tend to leak but sometimes I get really itchy and can only relieve it by draining off a 1/4 teaspoon or so of the stuff.

keepingeverythingcrossed Wed 11-Aug-10 15:20:27

I too was strangely obsessed with this after I noticed them leaking slightly after a shower at 18 weeks. I was fascinated but my other half was completely weirded out by them. Don't know if my boobs react very strongly to the hormones swooshing around but 5 weeks post birth and exclusively formula feeding and they are still at it. The novelty has worn off now though smile

PickleSarnie Wed 11-Aug-10 16:57:34

About 20 ish weeks.

It grosses me out but fascinates me at the same time how it can go vary so much in colour from milky white to liquid butter.

Makes me feel ridiculously unsexy, although I guess it's nothing to the unexpected squirting of OH whilst doing the deed that I've been warned will happen whilst BF'ing.

I am 37wks tommorow and nothing leaking, get crusty nipples at times but always have done, breasts have maybe gone up a cup size but nothing significant to look at - much to husbands disappointment!!

DuelingFanjo Wed 11-Aug-10 19:35:14

OMG, I am far to scared to even attempt a little squeeze.

CheeseandGherkins Wed 11-Aug-10 20:04:01

I'm 21 weeks tomorrow, I had some come out about a week ago I think when ds1 gave me a hug and squashed my boobs.

lilllysa Wed 11-Aug-10 20:47:48

With DD it was about 24weeks. . This time I have to wear breastpads now (16+4) but it started at about 11weeks confused

JazzieJeff Wed 11-Aug-10 21:07:27

Ooooohhhh no way! I tried earlier after my shower and my left boob is doing it! It's working! The right one is clearly broken/has faulty plumbing since no amount of squeezing will make anything come out.

In all seriousness now though, what happens if only one boob works? Will I go lopsided? blush

cinnamongreyhound Wed 11-Aug-10 21:34:38

They will work JazzieJeff, only my right one leaked this time and last but there was plenty of milk in both. I did have one side that was easier to feed than the other but you just have to use both equally and you'll get better with the less favourite side.

ReshapeWhileDamp Wed 11-Aug-10 21:51:28

picklesarnie, I never squirted DH while breastfeeding, honest! grin It doesn't always happen.

I just got a tiny bead of the stuff. Hooray, I still work! grin

marriednotdead Wed 11-Aug-10 22:34:07

It was about 16 weeks with DD. With DS, I hadn't even done a pregnancy test, it was that early shock
I can still get a drop out now and I last BF in 1997 confused

PickleSarnie Thu 12-Aug-10 08:38:02

Thanks for that ReshapeWhileDamp, I'll tell OH that he can put away his goggles now!

Smithy1979 Thu 12-Aug-10 12:40:03

I'm going to have to try this! Do you squeeze the whole boob or just the nipple?

InTheZenGarden Thu 12-Aug-10 13:05:33

Try both, I did! Squeezing the nipple hurt, so I massaged the boob, towards the nipple, remember doing this with DD... and it worked! grin

I'm 35 weeks and I can't believe a group of women I have never met have "convinced" me to try expressing colostrum for absolutely no reason! confused

Am quite pleased though, I had to give up bfing DD at 8 weeks, as I just wasn't making enough... obviously no guarantees this time, but at least my boobs are making the effort grin

Smithy1979 Thu 12-Aug-10 15:32:50

He he! I'll probably wait til I get home but am fascinated to see if anything comes out yet. I'm 27 weeks so you never know!

bottyburpthebarbarian Thu 12-Aug-10 15:45:10

marriednotdead - I stopped BF in 2003, and I can still get some out too.

Glad to see I am not alone (and completely blown away like inthezengarden that a bunch of women I don't know off the internet have me squeezing my bazoosums)

ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 12-Aug-10 18:03:36

Oh my god, what have I started? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now