Repeatedly asking to use potty when not needing to go. Help, please!

(3 Posts)
GrievousDeviousness Fri 04-Nov-16 21:00:10

DD is 2.8 and ten days into potty training. Things have been going well so far - the odd accident here and there, but mostly seems to be getting it. However, for the past 2/3 days when asked if she needs to use the potty she replies in the affirmative, goes and sits on it but then does nothing. She'll sit there for ten minutes, not going, but if you ask her after she's up and dressed again she'll say she needs to go and then we have the whole palaver of sitting there for ten minutes and not going again. It's now progressed into not just when we ask, but she'll ask to go unprompted so we rush her over, strip her off, get her on the potty etc, and she just sits there and clearly doesn't need to go (otherwise she would, surely?!).

I'm reaching my wits end. I've spent hours today sitting by the potty. We can't go anywhere because we end up spending our whole time going to and from the toilet/sitting in the toilet.^^ She doesn't seem to be linking being bored sat on the loo with asking when she doesn't need to go, and despite explaining repeatedly she just looks at me blank.

How do we break this cycle? How can I explain to her that she needs to only ask to go when she actually needs to?!i

JosephineMaynard Sun 06-Nov-16 08:49:21

Is she doing anything on the potty on later times, or having accidents later?

We started potty training DS2 about 2 months ago, and he's got the hang of wees well, but with poos, I've noticed a pattern where he will say he needs the potty, sit for a while without doing anything, come off - and then repeat a few times before a poo appears, not always when he's on the potty. So it's like he knows he needs a poo soon but can't quite judge when he needs to go to the potty for one yet. Any chance it could be something like that with your DD?

GrievousDeviousness Sun 06-Nov-16 16:12:07

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that, thank you! smile I'll have to pay attention and see if there's a pattern.

I had noticed she'd not pooed for almost three days at the end of the week and was beginning to wonder if that was perhaps another issue but then she did three yesterday, so she's obviously not worried about pooing in the potty!

Yesterday was <touches wood> slightly better, but today we're back to endless trips to the potty with no 'deposits' made..... although, she has just asked to do a poo so I'll need to see how soon one arrives in case you've hit the nail on the head!

Toddlers really are infuriating! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now